• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Positional Shooting (PRS)

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Prone: I can clean a stage (not always but CAN go 10/10)

Standing/Kneeling: I can ZERO a stage. Lots of wobble on the positional stages. I was working on this last night and couldn't figure out if I should "Pin" the rifle or "Free Recoil" touch it as little as possible. I could minimize movement with the free recoil aka "dont touch the damn thing" method but that seems just wrong (and makes spotting impacts a PITA). I can't figure out how to "secure" the rifle so that wobble is minimized shooting off various objects like PRS Baricade, Bus Windows, Cattle Gates etc. Pushing (Down) on scope doesn't really help, neither does the pushing on the front bridge. Any tips for the clueless?

Otherwise I'll just become match director, make every stage prone and win.

Did find my OG Gamechanger was not heavy sand fill, and that seemed to help some...but I have a long way to go.

I can't figure out how to "secure" the rifle so that wobble is minimized shooting off various objects like PRS Baricade, Bus Windows, Cattle Gates etc. Pushing (Down) on scope doesn't really help, neither does the pushing on the front bridge. Any tips for the clueless?

Reframe the problem. It's not about securing the rifle, it's about positioning your body so YOU don't move.

Test yourself dry fire aiming off a ladder or whatever prop in all the main positions (high standing, low standing, high kneeling, low kneeling). Connect to the rifle in a normal fashion, establish a good bone-supported body position and try to get the reticle to stop moving. Take all the time in the world to relax, natural point of aim with no muscle tension and settle the reticle. If you can get the reticle to stop moving, then you know it's possible.

Then go practice practice practice until you can hit each of those positions and quickly relax into NPA on command. And work on the mental game so that you can still execute that "relaxed stability" even when it's live fire, on the clock, in a match with the pressure on.

Natural point of aim.

Wobbles— back and forth across the target means you’re not square to target. Belt buckle should be pointing at target. Figure 8 wobble means your center of gravity is off. Spread your feet a little more. Make that “tripod” body position. Mechanical wobbles are just that- from the prop. A 1” diameter bar will give you more wobble than and 4x4 (resting rifle on these). Tripod rear support help these

For me- the pressure on the scope and butt into my shoulder is about like a comfortable handshake. Not dainty but not over bearing.

Just my .02

Reactions: R_A_W and Tx_Aggie
Reframe the problem. It's not about securing the rifle, it's about positioning your body so YOU don't move.

Test yourself dry fire aiming off a ladder or whatever prop in all the main positions (high standing, low standing, high kneeling, low kneeling). Connect to the rifle in a normal fashion, establish a good bone-supported body position and try to get the reticle to stop moving. Take all the time in the world to relax, natural point of aim with no muscle tension and settle the reticle. If you can get the reticle to stop moving, then you know it's possible.

Then go practice practice practice until you can hit each of those positions and quickly relax into NPA on command. And work on the mental game so that you can still execute that "relaxed stability" even when it's live fire, on the clock, in a match with the pressure on.
I will reflect on this an incorporate it into my trainng...

@Kfive73 uh oh. I'm off balance.

Reactions: Sheldon N
one thing that helped me was cheek pressure. I was always cramming my face down on the cheek pad... head straight up light cheek weld adjust cheek pad accordingly.

IMO shooting positional is where things really get fun and interesting, don't be afraid to suck at it for a while, you'll figure it out.

Remember that it's about trying to see every shot, impact or splash, work on that, and the wobble will start to take care of itself.