• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

So.....tornado and stuff

n2ishun

Bend over I'll drive
Minuteman
  • Jan 2, 2022
    Kansas
    beer.com
    There was a tornado here yesterday about 1/4 mile north of my humble abode.
    It was kinda breezy a bit, it's Kansas so we don't make too much ado about a little wind here and there.
    Then there was the baseball size hail, that I can do without.
    Fucked my truck over pretty good just like the old monkey with a ballpeen hammer dealio....luckily no broken windows on it.
    My next door neighbor has this newer Jeep (pronounced hispanic "Heap") the one with the de-smell engine.....it is absolutely destroyed, huge dents and a broken out rear window.....and the tree that's now resting on it.....haven't heard a chainsaw yet.
    Power was out for about 8-10 hours or so, was starting to worry about the fridge and freezer stuff.....but it seems OK for now.

Weather can sure suck some serious ass out of a dead and bloated donkey sometimes.

There was a tornado here yesterday about 1/4 mile north of my humble abode.
    It was kinda breezy a bit, it's Kansas so we don't make too much ado about a little wind here and there.
    Then there was the baseball size hail, that I can do without.
    Fucked my truck over pretty good just like the old monkey with a ballpeen hammer dealio....luckily no broken windows on it.
    My next door neighbor has this newer Jeep (pronounced hispanic "Heap") the one with the de-smell engine.....it is absolutely destroyed, huge dents and a broken out rear window.....and the tree that's now resting on it.....haven't heard a chainsaw yet.
    Power was out for about 8-10 hours or so, was starting to worry about the fridge and freezer stuff.....but it seems OK for now.

Weather can sure suck some serious ass out of a dead and bloated donkey sometimes.
    I live in north Texas and we had a storm a few weeks ago and even though no tornado was reported or indicated, some straight line winds broke trees, including a few mine. Limbs are starting to touch the ground. So, I need to get to work sawing bits. I had a storm do that last June. To my patio cover away from the house. Cracked a tree that took me some time to cut up and haul off.

I have a 5'X10' single axle with ramp gate and I just go to the solid waste authority site when it is open to the public. But it really pays to pack on a load. $40/ton, 1 ton minimum.

Reactions: lash and Stevo86
    @n2ishun

Guessing you’re south and east of Topeka. We had similar wx last night. Springtime in Kansas. It can cause a lot of damage and lost sleep during the event and while cleaning up the debris. The good news always seems to be that bent sheet metal and missing shingles can be fixed. We bought a propane portable generator a few years back. Works fine wit 10/3 heavy duty extension cords. That said, I never enjoy going out in the rain to set everything up and pull wire. Someone has to do it tho.

Hang in there. Weather guessers are promising an interesting week or two ahead of us.

All joking aside unless you had a business ready to go right out of college why would someone live in tornado alley?

Hurricanes etc are large slow moving events which you can escape. But tornados are “immediate threat”.

There are other rural locations that have much lower percentage etc

All joking aside unless you had a business ready to go right out of college why would someone live in tornado alley?

Hurricanes etc are large slow moving events which you can escape. But tornados are “immediate threat”.

Some people just don't want to move.

Moore, Oklahoma, on the southeast side of OKC, was hit so many times. This one guy crawled on the bathtub with a mattress and a tornado sides-swiped his house. So, he re-built and a few years later, another one hit the house.

After that, he had a concrete storm room built in the garage that anchored through the floor. Then, the gigantor tornado of May 3, 1999 came along.

The weatherman called the Mayor, who's office was on the 3rd floor of the municipal building and told him to in the parking garage below.

The tornado and took the old man's house away. He opened the door to a really large "porch."

In an interview, a reporter asked him if he ever thought of moving somewhere, anywhere else?

Nope. That was his home and family was around and friends were around.

Reactions: brianf
    If you drew a X across the state of KS, I'm about dead center of that X.
    So yea, the storm that hit us just exploded out of nothing......it just I dunno.....created it's self on top of us ?

I have a generator too....but we also got about 6-7" of rain and after all the bullshit that went down around here the last thing I was wanting to do was setup a genset in the pouring cats and dogs kinda rain.
    It's been alot of years since I've seen 4"++ hail stones.....them fuckers pack a serious punch and destroy everything in sight.....you should see the tree leaves on the ground that were ....well hell.....here...dunno what you'll make of it, notice all leaves are fresh green new growth.

stuff.jpg

Yea that tree was just stripped, lucky she still stands.

One of my nicer new dents that the PDR guys won't be able to do shit about because it's on a double thick area at the top of the door...

dent.jpg

Reactions: lash
    If you drew a X across the state of KS, I'm about dead center of that X.
    So yea, the storm that hit us just exploded out of nothing......it just I dunno.....created it's self on top of us ?

I have a generator too....but we also got about 6-7" of rain and after all the bullshit that went down around here the last thing I was wanting to do was setup a genset in the pouring cats and dogs kinda rain.
    It's been alot of years since I've seen 4"++ hail stones.....them fuckers pack a serious punch and destroy everything in sight.....you should see the tree leaves on the ground that were ....well hell.....here...dunno what you'll make of it, notice all leaves are fresh green new growth.

View attachment 8422110

Yea that tree was just stripped, lucky she still stands.

One of my nicer new dents that the PDR guys won't be able to do shit about because it's on a double thick area at the top of the door...

View attachment 8422111
    How does your guys insurance work when it comes to hail damage ? How many times a year do you get it?

Oh, and why do I live here ?

I have an absolute assload of space and can just shoot right out of my front door if I so wish (although I have better manners that that, I can).
    This is one of the last truly free states, wide open country and no one even notices if you open carry a scoped 10" .44 mag in a cowboy holster/belt setup.....and I've done exactly that, many times.
    It's a wide open freedom that I have never experienced in any other state.....and I've lived all over the world in lots of places I'd rather forget.
    The deer are absolutely huge too and I've kilt many that dress out at 180-220 lbs.

Hafta let you know about the insurance, first time I've had this amount of damage here in cans ass.....had to go thru it in Arkansas once and it wasn't bad, and same ins co.

Here’s a thought if you don’t like flooding, don’t live in the Mississippi Delta,if you don’t like hurricanes don’t live on the gulf coast and if you don’t like tornadoes or baseball size hail, don’t live in tornado alley JMTCW…

I didn't hear any one complaining about the weather. Just sharing that it had sucked in their local. Your response might be appropriate if he were asking you to send money. Here you just let everyone see that you're a bitter small man.

I live in north Texas and we had a storm a few weeks ago and even though no tornado was reported or indicated, some straight line winds broke trees, including a few mine. Limbs are starting to touch the ground. So, I need to get to work sawing bits. I had a storm do that last June. To my patio cover away from the house. Cracked a tree that took me some time to cut up and haul off.

I have a 5'X10' single axle with ramp gate and I just go to the solid waste authority site when it is open to the public. But it really pays to pack on a load. $40/ton, 1 ton minimum.
    Howe got a small tornado from that storm, we had a tech at ti in Sherman and his truck got the piss beat out of it by golf ball sized hail.

Oh, and why do I live here ?

I have an absolute assload of space and can just shoot right out of my front door if I so wish (although I have better manners that that, I can).
    This is one of the last truly free states, wide open country and no one even notices if you open carry a scoped 10" .44 mag in a cowboy holster/belt setup.....and I've done exactly that, many times.
    It's a wide open freedom that I have never experienced in any other state.....and I've lived all over the world in lots of places I'd rather forget.
    The deer are absolutely huge too and I've kilt many that dress out at 180-220 lbs.

Hafta let you know about the insurance, first time I've had this amount of damage here in cans ass.....had to go thru it in Arkansas once and it wasn't bad, and same ins co.
    I live on the San Juan islands so fish and hunting abound but and im not kidding I’ve seen a big buck here dress out at 60lbs and some smaller, we have Sitka black tail is all if you want white tails or muleys you have to go to the other side of the cascades…

I live on the San Juan islands so fish and hunting abound but and im not kidding I’ve seen a big buck here dress out at 60lbs and some smaller, we have Sitka black tail is all if you want white tails or muleys you have to go to the other side of the cascades…
    Heh, sitkas :)

About 30, maybe even 40 years ago now I went on the Camp Pendleton deer hunt they used to have (probably no longer huh?).
    I spotted what looked like a perfect 8 point at what I guessed was about 300 yards and took the shot....
    The bambi tumbled, I mean for 10 foot it rolled.
    I was shooting what I had, a 300 mag, but still I thought that's weird....right ?
    Turns out it was only about 150 yards and the little dwarf was only like 50 lbs.
    It's funny how they look like a normal deer from a distance.....but man, if I had only known it I wouldn't have bothered.
    It was a perfectly legal kill and all sorts of guys were telling me I did good and being honest about it not condescending at all....
    No more west coast hunts for this lad, them things be tiny.

I get it you’re gay, so you want everything to be gay that’s fine, but you can’t argue with my logic

Logic being stay away from things you don't like? So, why are you still in Washington? Hoping I'll move next door?

I live in Kansas as well. Those same storms moved through my AO last night but they had weakened some, no real damage just downed limbs.
    Guessing you live out by Salina, heard they got hit hard. My son is working there this week, I’ll be curious what he reports.

Just fyi I’ll take my chances with tornadoes and hail over hurricanes and earthquakes exc., when I was younger I took a direct hit from an f3 tornado, yeah I had a little ptsd from that one, one guy died in the building we were in.

Howe got a small tornado from that storm, we had a tech at ti in Sherman and his truck got the piss beat out of it by golf ball sized hail.
    No confirmed tornado. Doesn't mean there was not one.

I laugh when people post in these threads about not living where Mother Nature might find you and fuck up your shit. Then they tell you not to live where people might fuck up your shit. Then they tell you not to live where the government might fuck up your shit.

Guess what? How about you live wherever the fuck you want and don’t tell me what’s good for me? I’m very capable of deciding where I’m happy, thank you very much.

And to the OP, I’m glad you and yours are fine and that it’s only monetary damage.

I learned a long time ago, there is no escaping "Mother Nature." Whether it's "Nor'Easters" or bad snow storms in the in the NY/NE area or upper Mid-West, or Hurricanes/Tornadoes in the South East, or Tornado Alley in the Midwest/South Central, or Earthquakes/Wildfires/Droughts/Mud Slides on the West Coast. Can't escape it.

Gotta pick your poison and live with it/survive it. I'll stick with FL. If I ever do leave it, it won't be because of the weather.....

Reactions: Devildog and lash

Most naders are pretty small. Narrow damage path. Hurricanes will cover an entire state and have you out of power for weeks. A nader comes through, and most folks have power within a few hours, everyone else has there's the next day with the exception of the trailer park that got relocated. Had some fast straight line winds coming out of a circulation that passed 500ft behind my house a couple weeks ago. Lots of tree damage, a couple new convertible model barns and shops. A Nader about 5 miles east in mid April, 95mph wind on that one, a family living out of a camper had a ride, and a trap club had the clubhouse damaged severely. The building codes around here require all new buildings are designed to handle up to 115mph winds. Sheds must be anchored to the ground in case of 115mph winds. Shingles must have 4 nails instead of 3, ect.

I've lived in Nader alley pretty much my entire life. I only know one person who's had his house destroyed by one, and it was New Years day (or eve, can't remember precisely) at Ft Leonardwood. He and his fire team of kids huddled into the closet in the middle of the house, put a toddler mattress over the top of 'em, and the entire house around that closet was gone. Their cars were several hundred yards away in a ditch. The closet doors, walls, and ceiling were all intact, one of the kids was hit by a potato, but the rest of the concrete slab the house was on was completely stripped away like it was being prepped to build a new home. They are very a religious family, and it sure seemed like God reached down and placed his hands over the top of them to ensure they were untouched. No reason for that closet to exist because that nader went straight through the middle of that house.

My wife's bridal shower ended early due to a nader. It was headed right at 'em for a while. They were in the basement of the clubhouse, I was outside watching the thing (I went to get her, and get her out of there, but she wouldn't leave), watching massive 150 year old sycamore trees spin around the base like paper in a breeze, and it just turned to my left and followed the river for a bit. I believe that one was a F4, pretty damn strong one, it did a lot of damage.

So in my 45 years, i've only been close to a couple naders. In the last 24 years 79 hurricanes or tropical storms have hit florida killing 615, and $236B in damages (wikipedia). Since 1950, in Missouri, 2842 naders, 407 deaths, $5.4B damages, for Kansas it's 4822 naders, 236 deaths, $3.4B damage (https://data.news-leader.com/tornado-archive/kansas/)

I'll take my chances with Naders personally.

Branden

One of my favorite movie lines was from the original "Twister." They are describing to Paxton's fiance the different levels of tornado by number and damage.

She asks, "Is there an F5? What do you call that?"

The preacher man who drives the station wagon replies, "We call that the Finger of God."

One of my favorite movie lines was from the original "Twister." They are describing to Paxton's fiance the different levels of tornado by number and damage.

She asks, "Is there an F5? What do you call that?"

The preacher man who drives the station wagon replies, "We call that the Finger of God."
    F5's are rare, but they really, really fuck shit up when they happen.

Branden

As for hurricanes, people in Florida have enough sense to board and get out when the warnings come along.

Not so with Lousiana. When Hurricane Katrina was winding up in the Gulf, it was expected to hit N.O. Pres Bush had already signed for emergency funds 72 hours before landfall. Plenty of people had plenty of time to evacuate. In 1954, Hurricane Bertha hit New Orleans as an Cat 3. So, the Army Corp of Engineers built the levees on Lake Ponchartrain and I-10 to withstand a Cat 3. The year before Katrina, the Corp of Engineers was advising of the aging levees and they need to be built up to cat 5. Mayor Nagan and others declined the need for that and a bond election to do that failed.

So, Katrina hits Grand Isle and takes a hard right and wipes Gulfport, Mississippi off the map.

But all you can hear is the crying of New Orleans.

Guard units were turned away and told to wait outside the city limits to get people to go that way.

The levee on Lake Ponchartrain failed and the 9th Ward flooded.

NO is below sea level and the pumps that keep it dry are install at street level, as is the power, when that should all have been elevated. But somehow, they wanted to blame Bush for 150 years of mismanagement of NO.

The previous year, Florida was hit by 4 hurricanes, two of them back to back. Part of I-10 in the Panhandle was destroyed. A company came along and worked 3 eight hour shifts and had it open in about 6 weeks.

They went in to NO with a competitive bid. NO told them, well, you have to have a contract rep. One of the politicians had a cousin who was a contract rep, who works for a percentage of the contract. The company said, no thanks, we are not paying for the privilege to work. Good luck to you.

I think we should prepare for weather. So, Florida has building codes for that, such as C clips where the roof frame joins the top plate of the wall.

In California, all buildings need to be built to handle earthquakes. But in Texas and Oklahoma, there is no requirement in home building to have a storm room.

Last edited:
    As for hurricanes, people in Florida have enough sense to board and get out when the warnings come along.

Not so with Lousiana. When Hurricane Katrina was winding up in the Gulf, it was expected to hit N.O. Pres Bush had already signed for emergency funds 72 hours before landfall. Plenty of people had plenty of time to evacuate. In 1954, Hurricane Bertha hit New Orleans as an Cat 3. So, the Army Corp of Engineers built the levees on Lake Ponchartrain and I-10 to withstand a Cat 3. The year before Katrina, the Corp of Engineers was advising of the aging levees and they need to be built up to cat 5. Mayor Nagan and others declined the need for that and a bond election to do that failed.

So, Katrina hits Grand Isle and takes a hard right and wipes Gulfport, Mississippi off the map.

But all you can hear is the crying of New Orleans.

Guard units were turned away and told to wait outside the city limits to get people to go that way.

The levee on Lake Ponchartrain failed and the 9th Ward flooded.

NO is below sea level and the pumps that keep it dry are install at street level, as is the power, when that should all have been elevated. But somehow, they wanted to blame Bush for 150 years of mismanagement of NO.

The previous year, Florida was hit by 4 hurricanes, two of the back to back. Part of I-10 in the Panhandle was destroyed. A company came along and worked 3 eight hour shifts and had it open in about 6 weeks.

They went in to NO with a competitive bid. NO told them, well, you have to have a contract rep. One of the politicians had a cousin who was a contract rep, who works for a percentage of the contract. The company said, no thanks, we are not paying for the privilege to work. Good luck to you.

I think we should prepare for weather. So, Florida has building codes for that, such as C clips where the roof frame joins the top plate of the wall.

In California, all buildings need to be built to handle earthquakes. But in Texas and Oklahoma, there is no requirement in home building to have a storm room.

As I recall, the city/state had received federal funds to update the 100 year old pumps, but squandered the money elsewhere (politician’s pockets, perhaps).

The city had an OPLAN to use trans and school buses to evacuate No one bother to open the folder.

Reactions: lash and Ronws
    Most naders are pretty small. Narrow damage path. Hurricanes will cover an entire state and have you out of power for weeks. A nader comes through, and most folks have power within a few hours, everyone else has there's the next day with the exception of the trailer park that got relocated. Had some fast straight line winds coming out of a circulation that passed 500ft behind my house a couple weeks ago. Lots of tree damage, a couple new convertible model barns and shops. A Nader about 5 miles east in mid April, 95mph wind on that one, a family living out of a camper had a ride, and a trap club had the clubhouse damaged severely. The building codes around here require all new buildings are designed to handle up to 115mph winds. Sheds must be anchored to the ground in case of 115mph winds. Shingles must have 4 nails instead of 3, ect.

I've lived in Nader alley pretty much my entire life. I only know one person who's had his house destroyed by one, and it was New Years day (or eve, can't remember precisely) at Ft Leonardwood. He and his fire team of kids huddled into the closet in the middle of the house, put a toddler mattress over the top of 'em, and the entire house around that closet was gone. Their cars were several hundred yards away in a ditch. The closet doors, walls, and ceiling were all intact, one of the kids was hit by a potato, but the rest of the concrete slab the house was on was completely stripped away like it was being prepped to build a new home. They are very a religious family, and it sure seemed like God reached down and placed his hands over the top of them to ensure they were untouched. No reason for that closet to exist because that nader went straight through the middle of that house.

My wife's bridal shower ended early due to a nader. It was headed right at 'em for a while. They were in the basement of the clubhouse, I was outside watching the thing (I went to get her, and get her out of there, but she wouldn't leave), watching massive 150 year old sycamore trees spin around the base like paper in a breeze, and it just turned to my left and followed the river for a bit. I believe that one was a F4, pretty damn strong one, it did a lot of damage.

So in my 45 years, i've only been close to a couple naders. In the last 24 years 79 hurricanes or tropical storms have hit florida killing 615, and $236B in damages (wikipedia). Since 1950, in Missouri, 2842 naders, 407 deaths, $5.4B damages, for Kansas it's 4822 naders, 236 deaths, $3.4B damage (https://data.news-leader.com/tornado-archive/kansas/)

Branden
    All things equal, for hurricanes you need to subtract the people who stayed after the evacuation was given..FAFO

I’ll take a big storm I can drive away from a day before than one hit when I’m sleeping anyday

All things equal, for hurricanes you need to subtract the people who stayed after the evacuation was given..FAFO

I’ll take a big storm I can drive away from a day before than one hit when I’m sleeping anyday
    You want to know what’s really fun? Hearing about all the people that decided to drive away a day before the storm and how they get stuck on the highway for 16-24 hours. Makes for great drama to watch on our phones while the sound of generators keeps us company. Oh, and sipping margaritas.

Branden

I'm curious. When I think of Tornado Alley, I think of the number of people who have a "Storm Cellar" or have an underground shelter installed. And I've seen some of them... Rather sophisticated. But it won't help with your building or property on the surface. I was wondering if it's possible or feasible to build an "above ground metallic structure" (sort of like a shallow dome) that can deploy quickly and cover the entire property, including the the entire house. It would keep the house safe from flying debris for sure. It would be vented so that the pressure would be stable and not cause an explosion due to low pressure in the Vortex (one would need to leave windows ajar in the house). And, when the all clear is given, the dome structure could be retracted and stored. Probably cost a ton, but if it saves you house/property....

You want to know what’s really fun? Hearing about all the people that decided to drive away a day before the storm and how they get stuck on the highway for 16-24 hours. Makes for great drama to watch on our phones while the sound of generators keeps us company. Oh, and sipping margaritas.
    Yeah leaving 45 minutes before the storm makes good tv. Lol

I'm curious. When I think of Tornado Alley, I think of the number of people who have a "Storm Cellar" or have an underground shelter installed. And I've seen some of them... Rather sophisticated. But it won't help with your building or property on the surface. I was wondering if it's possible or feasible to build an "above ground metallic structure" (sort of like a shallow dome) that can deploy quickly and cover the entire property, including the the entire house. It would keep the house safe from flying debris for sure. It would be vented so that the pressure would be stable and not cause an explosion due to low pressure in the Vortex (one would need to leave windows ajar in the house). And, when the all clear is given, the dome structure could be retracted and stored. Probably cost a ton, but if it saves you house/property....
    That would be something incredibly expensive, for an event that is highly unlikely to ever effect the property protected.
    Engineering wise, i'm sure there's something that could be devised, but I don't think it would be practical, nor terribly effective. For it to be retractible, it has to be fairly light, and flexible, or foldable. Those are going to be weak points, and for a nader coming through, the pressure it's going to exert on any surface, especially flat perpendicular surfaces, is going to be substantial given the massive area of panels, or structure, requires to cover a house. A 100mph wind can exert up to 50+ pounds per square foot, thats 1600+ pounds of push against a area the size of a piece of plywood. Now throw in debris, a stowable protective structure just isn't practicle. It would be far more productive to build a home that is built against naders. Steel frame, very thick and sturdy concrete walls, roll down security shutters over the windows, vents that permit the home to equilize pressure, and a roof design that eliminates the possibility that wind can get under it. Opening a window isn't going to save the house from more damage. It's a roll of the dice. Look at photos of damage paths, tell me how often you've seen houses all around that are gone, and there's a house right in the middle that's barely touched....

they're wild, crazy, unpredictable, and nearly always, nearly harmless, like a protesting liberal. It makes a mess, a bit of property damage, but doesn't really change anyones mind about anything. When the sirens go off up here, the first thing nearly everyone does is run outside to look for it.

This whole naders vs canes argument is wild. I guess to each is own. I don't want to live in caneland, you don't want to live in naderville. That's fine. I will say, the one thing I will say, with naders.....we don't get looting. :) Next 'cane that sends you away to wait it out, you're welcome to visit me in Missouri. We have BBQ, ugly women, cheap beer, dirt track racin', and year round fireworks stands. It's a redneckapalooza without the incest you get in Arkansas and Alabama.

Branden

• Haha
    Heh, sitkas :)

About 30, maybe even 40 years ago now I went on the Camp Pendleton deer hunt they used to have (probably no longer huh?).
    I spotted what looked like a perfect 8 point at what I guessed was about 300 yards and took the shot....
    The bambi tumbled, I mean for 10 foot it rolled.
    I was shooting what I had, a 300 mag, but still I thought that's weird....right ?
    Turns out it was only about 150 yards and the little dwarf was only like 50 lbs.
    It's funny how they look like a normal deer from a distance.....but man, if I had only known it I wouldn't have bothered.
    It was a perfectly legal kill and all sorts of guys were telling me I did good and being honest about it not condescending at all....
    No more west coast hunts for this lad, them things be tiny.
    We call this…. GROUND SHRINKAGE !

Holy Shit. Just got done with preliminary cleanup from a sustained 45 minute golfball sized hail drubbing. Lost 8 windows early in the storm. When I stuck my head up over the half wall from our basement all I saw was blinds blowing in the wind with hail stones, glass and 1/2 inch of water sitting on the hardwood. Never felt as helpless as it continued to hail and rain for another 30 minutes, nothing I could do with that much carnage and it still hailing like a sumbitch. 4 hours of cleanup later and a great wife and brave 11 yo daughter who knows how to run a shopvac while I boarded up the windows in the rain. We might have saved the floors. We have hail damage to our drywall for crisakes!

IMG_2058.jpeg
    IMG_2059.jpeg

Yeah leaving 45 minutes before the storm makes good tv. Lol

My wife, from Indiana had never experienced a hurricane. Forget the storm,but we're shuttered up, generator on standby, etc, when I racked out for the night. She wakes me about four freaking out because it's a CAT 4 bearing down on us with expected landfall within 5-6 hours. One look at her eyes and I knew it's useless to argue. In the truck we go.

Easiest evac ever. Rainy and maybe 45 MPH gusts, we we were almost alone on the highway. Saw fleets of power trucks headed to our AO, but that was just about it.

Holy Shit. Just got done with preliminary cleanup from a sustained 45 minute golfball sized hail drubbing. Lost 8 windows early in the storm. When I stuck my head up over the half wall from our basement all I saw was blinds blowing in the wind with hail stones, glass and 1/2 inch of water sitting on the hardwood. Never felt as helpless as it continued to hail and rain for another 30 minutes, nothing I could do with that much carnage and it still hailing like a sumbitch. 4 hours of cleanup later and a great wife and brave 11 yo daughter who knows how to run a shopvac while I boarded up the windows in the rain. We might have saved the floors. We have hail damage to our drywall for crisakes!

View attachment 8422596View attachment 8422597

Praying for a sympathetic insurance adjuster.

That would be something incredibly expensive, for an event that is highly unlikely to ever effect the property protected.
    Engineering wise, i'm sure there's something that could be devised, but I don't think it would be practical, nor terribly effective. For it to be retractible, it has to be fairly light, and flexible, or foldable. Those are going to be weak points, and for a nader coming through, the pressure it's going to exert on any surface, especially flat perpendicular surfaces, is going to be substantial given the massive area of panels, or structure, requires to cover a house. A 100mph wind can exert up to 50+ pounds per square foot, thats 1600+ pounds of push against a area the size of a piece of plywood. Now throw in debris, a stowable protective structure just isn't practicle. It would be far more productive to build a home that is built against naders. Steel frame, very thick and sturdy concrete walls, roll down security shutters over the windows, vents that permit the home to equilize pressure, and a roof design that eliminates the possibility that wind can get under it. Opening a window isn't going to save the house from more damage. It's a roll of the dice. Look at photos of damage paths, tell me how often you've seen houses all around that are gone, and there's a house right in the middle that's barely touched....

they're wild, crazy, unpredictable, and nearly always, nearly harmless, like a protesting liberal. It makes a mess, a bit of property damage, but doesn't really change anyones mind about anything. When the sirens go off up here, the first thing nearly everyone does is run outside to look for it.

This whole naders vs canes argument is wild. I guess to each is own. I don't want to live in caneland, you don't want to live in naderville. That's fine. I will say, the one thing I will say, with naders.....we don't get looting. :) Next 'cane that sends you away to wait it out, you're welcome to visit me in Missouri. We have BBQ, ugly women, cheap beer, dirt track racin', and year round fireworks stands. It's a redneckapalooza without the incest you get in Arkansas and Alabama.

Branden

Man says hurricane proof...

1716282986212.jpeg

It seems like it is going to hit us again.

I live in the "greater Kansas City " area, and we are to have all the fun stuff again this afternoon. I plan on being home before the hail starts.

Personally I have no love for Missouri, but the wifes folks are here, so we will stay here. The kiddo is also here and I can use the good old OLSD.

If you ever want to have some fun refer to your children as OLSD, Organic Labor Saving Device, they just love that.

There is a new house going up not far from where I live. The usual process, they dig a basement, pour it, then an odd big concrete box was poured, what the heck is that, a fantastic safe for all your guns? Nope a storm shelter. I bet the concrete is 4" thick at least.

Personally I am not that worried about it, I will hang out in the basement and just wait it out.

It's been a pretty rowdy spring so far. Were in North Texas and have dodged all the nasty shit so far. Next few days look pretty bad too....

Reactions: lash and Ronws