• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

$1000 budget for rifle only

ms6852

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
I am not a competition shooter, just love shooting 22's out to 200 yds. What would you reccomend for my next toy in 22lr? Would like input from the pros. One grand for rifle only scopes comes later.

Re: $1000 budget for rifle only

remington 40x CMP rifle or a sako finnfire or quad with a lilja barrel on it. The triggers on all three can be adjusted down to a pound without much work at all, just a turn of a screw on the sako's. The 40x is a single-shot only in your price range the sako's you can get 5rd and 10rd mags for them at great cost.
Isaac

I'd vote Annie but I'm biased. New 64MPR can be had for under 1K. 64 Biathalon for around 1K. Both are the same actions with different stocks/triggers. We were shooting both to 225 yards at tactical rimfire spinning plates this past weekend. What a blast.

I just picked up a Vostok CM-2 for my brother for 350.
I get one and spend the rest on ammo.

Watch the CM-2's and the Suhl 150's as the barrel twist may be too slow for 200 yards. I know from experienced.

I am our Club's Match Director for a 200 yard RF prone rifle match and the winning guns are Wlather and Anschutz target rifles. Mywife shoots an Anschutz 64 Metallic Silhouette single shot with Eley Match EPS ammo with a velocity of 1159 fps (per the box end) and does extremely well. These guns run about $650-$750 on GunBroker. Example: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=122831104

George

An older Anschutz 54 should fit the bill nicely and fall under $1000, particularly if you pay attention to gunbroker.com.

If you are interested in a Remington 40x, pm me as I have one in the Dallas are I'd be willing to part with.

If you want a trainer type rifle I'd go for the 40x.

However there are tons of good .22's in that price range, the Sako finnfire, quad, suhl 150, remington 540T, anschutz 64/54, etc.

Thanks for the info guys. I do own a Remington 513T with redfield sights, and finally shot it last week @ 200 yds. I did pretty lousy only got 3x out of 30 rounds, winds at 17mph. I just want a rifle I can put a scope on even though I have the Vianni mount for my rifle.

FYI my finnfire and quad with lilja barrels shot circles around every anschutz I have ever had on my 50yd home range.

I really want a finnfire range and will own one some day. Would also like an anshutz on the 54 action, and a cooper western classic. I need a better job

40x would be the #1 choice. Only negative is its a single shot.

Another goodie would be to buy a Savage MK2, toss the orginal stock and get a SSS "tactical" stock. Add a EGW 20MOA rail, rings and scope of your choice. Proceede in shooting the hell out of it!

All good choices, as would be a Winchester 75 or 52. If you want a "modern" rimfire, save a few more penneys and look at Cooper's LVT.

If you want $1,000 +/- in the whole bannana look at the CZ 452/3.

good point buzz!! Get a cz 452 varmint and you would have plenty left over for a great scope. Those things flat ass shoot once they are broken in.
Isaac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">40x would be the #1 choice. Only negative is its a single shot.

Another goodie would be to buy a Savage MK2, toss the orginal stock and get a SSS "tactical" stock. Add a EGW 20MOA rail, rings and scope of your choice. Proceede in shooting the hell out of it! </div></div> I have a Savage MK2 the GL model, would this work with the stock you mention or do I need the other model? If so where do I get the stock if not which model of savage mark 2 do you recommend?

From the little I've seen, there isn't a lot to be gained by going from $500 to $1,000 with a .22LR. The more costly ones seem to be great but a good Savage MkII or Remy 504T/Sako Quad hold their own pretty well against rifles costing twice as much.

don't buy a 504, they suck. I have spent all day beating my head against a wall with one and I am about ready to take a cutting torch to it and be done with it.