• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17 hornet suppressor? Help me out

Joko111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Maryland
I’m trying to figure out what supressor to use for my .17 hornet, I have been thinking about using a tougher 22 can like the tbac 22 or dead air mask since both can handle the .17 hornet but I’m worried that they won’t have enough volume for the 11-13grains of powder, but it would be nice if they did work out

I use a TBAC Ultra 7 223 with my 22LR. Super effective. I'd go with a centerfire can.

D94D8386-AAD0-4888-A8E4-E54070402755.jpeg

I own a CZ 17 Hornet, which is, of course, centerfire. I am unsure that all of the commenters here know that.

I do not see that caliber listed on TBAC’s site, and as I recall when I was shopping around, 17 Hornet is too much for the 22 Takedown. I could be wrong, however. Call them, they answer the phone.

I own that suppressor too, and would be sorta surprised if it was rated for 17 Hornet as it is pretty darn light. But stranger things have happened. I have been wrong many times…it appears some people on the web have used that combo. 🤷‍♂️

The 17 Hornet is WAY more ballsy than 17 HMR, for those who may not know. Of course in the grand scheme of things, it’s a puss. But…it puts all rimfires to shame.

I’d just buy any 223 can that tickles your fancy. Most 223 cans will have more length and volume than the TD 22 anyway, making for quieter shots. And if you go titanium 223, you aren’t given up much in the weight dept.

Last edited:
It is rated for it yes. Have to make sure your smith threads the barrel correctly for the takedown 22 thought. Need rimfire thread tenon. I have to run a spacer on mine so i just use my centerfire cans on the hornet.
If you do go with the TD 22, pay attention to this^.

The above post is a little confusingly worded, but here’s the deal:
  1. Technically, rimfire and centerfire suppressor threading is supposed to be cut at different lengths
  2. RF= ~.4” / CF= ~.6” deep
  3. I believe it’s that way so you don’t accidentally screw a RF can on a CF (MIGHT BE WRONG). Seems like quite a few RF cans are internally deep enough for a .6” tenon thread, however.
  4. The TD 22 is shallow and is meant for .4” thread depth. If you force it on a .6” threading you’ll crush the baffles as the muzzle mashes into them.
  5. As mentioned, you need a precision spacer behind the TD 22 if you’re threading onto a .6” deep thread
How do I know this? Some dunderhead threaded my 17HMR at .6” deep, so I needed to source that spacer or have my barrel chopped and recut if I wanted to use my TBAC TD 22.

View attachment 8408258

I own a CZ 17 Hornet, which is, of course, centerfire. I am unsure that all of the commenters here know that.

I do not see that caliber listed on TBAC’s site, and as I recall when I was shopping around, 17 Hornet is too much for the 22 Takedown. I could be wrong, however. Call them, they answer the phone.

I own that suppressor too, and would be sorta surprised if it was rated for 17 Hornet as it is pretty darn light. But stranger things have happened. I have been wrong many times…it appears some people on the web have used that combo. 🤷‍♂️

The 17 Hornet is WAY more ballsy than 17 HMR, for those who may not know. Of course in the grand scheme of things, it’s a puss. But…it puts all rimfires to shame.

I’d just buy any 223 can that tickles your fancy. Most 223 cans will have more length and volume than the TD 22 anyway, making for quieter shots. And if you go titanium 223, you aren’t given up much in the weight dept.
I emailed them when i first got my 22 takedown. It is fine to run it. got the info strait from the horses mouth.

Reactions: carbonbased
I emailed them when i first got my 22 takedown. It is fine to run it. got the info strait from the horses mouth.
I called them and confirmed that it can take 22 Hornet and 17 Hornet. Pretty amazing.

Then they said it’s not going to suppress CF well, which does not surprise me at all. The thing is so friggin’ short and thin (5.6” x 1.0”).

In contrast I have a Banish 223 for my 17 🐝. It’s 7” x 1.5”. Comparatively huge.

The suppressor wrap they sell for it is more like a hot dog bun than a wrap. It works, I guess, but there isn’t even a way to anchor it on the can. Just friction keeps it on.

The base of the can also often unscrews when you try to remove the can from the rifle. The trick that sometimes works is to pull hard away from the bore as you unscrew. Or blue/red Loctite.

Then you have to deal with the short .4” thread depth, so on regular threaded CF guns you’re going to have to fool with a spacer or you’ll wreck the thing.

I mean, it’s fine for rimfire. But you could do so much better for a centerfire.

But hey, I guess people do what they want.

Last edited: