• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2023 NightForce ELR Challenge

ForgeValley

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2018
    WNC
    Who else got registered? Opened this morning and already almost full. I'm excited as that weekend in June is usually the family vacation, looks like I've got everything moved around so I can make it out there this year.

Almost positive I will go with my new 7mm PRC after my first outing with it at a mile.

Reactions: schmi015 and BCX
    I'm registered. I can't believe how quick it's filling up.
    7PRC will be a real contender I'm sure.

I also registered for KRG Extreme Steel yesterday. supposed to be very similar match.

Reactions: DR&M
    Nice, that KRG match does look interesting.

Looking at the COF from last year, all the targets were 1800 and in, with a couple toward the end that were at 2127. Just about perfect for the 7 SAUM and PRC. If I still had my 300 Norma barrel I would strongly consider that as well.

Reactions: lash and Taylorbok
    I signed up first thing this morning. This will be my first time going and first time ever shooting a match. I've been wanting to go for years but never could make it happen so I'm pretty pumped. I will be bringing a 30 nosler.

If anyone didn't get to sign up for this, I have to withdraw this year and am looking to sell my spot. Registration was $280 but I'll sell my spot for a flat $200. I've spoken to the match director and he explained this is how they prefer to do things rather than refunds. I know there's a wait list, so hopefully this can help someone get out there this year.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. Let me know and I'll move it, thanks.
    -H.
    PM Sent

Reactions: ThreadLark
    I got registered for this when it opened up but It looks like I'm not going to be able to make it anymore. If anyone is looking for a spot let me know.

I booked at the La Quinta. And am Driving up from the Orange County California area!

Anyone know the elevation on the range?

Thanks,

I booked at the La Quinta. And am Driving up from the Orange County California area!

Anyone know the elevation on the range?

Thanks,
    I'm also booked there, seemed like most reasonable price for not a complete shit hole.

IIRC actual elevation was like 6000' but DA was up around 9000 at times

Reactions: Schw15 and bbhank
    I'm also booked there, seemed like most reasonable price for not a complete shit hole.

IIRC actual elevation was like 6000' but DA was up around 9000 at times
    That's what I'm trying to find reasonable with out being a dump but not spending a ton since won't be at room much

Does anyone know if the speed of the moving target is provided in the matchbook?

It's not. But that's not how you shoot movers anyways.

I'm feel like I am capable of building a dope chart for movers based on time of flight and target speed.

How would you suggest shooting them?

I'm feel like I am capable of building a dope chart for movers based on time of flight and target speed.

If you knew the target was going 3 mph you would spend an eternity calculating.
    Use your reticle and time of flight.
    I think it was around 1000 yards.
    Here's a good video

Edit: I don't use his measure with the kestrel method. Quick and dirty in the scope, Know your TOF, target moves X in that time there's your lead, send it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: lash

Your personal reaction time makes a difference in what your holds will be.

3 people can shoot the exact same mover using the exact same cartridge and ballistics and have 3 different holds.

The kestrel thing is cool, but if you are not given the target speed it would require you to have the ability to get behind a gun (or spotter with reticle - more doable if you have the equipment), and time it out and have the kestrel do the math while you are waiting to shoot. A couple of issues with this: 1. If you are first to shoot, you may not have the opportunity to do this. 2. Not all ranges/stages are setup in a way that allows shooters to get behind the rifle and look at the target ahead of time - however a spotter with a reticle overcomes this challenge. 3. The kestrel doesn't account for your own personal reaction time - this is something you will have to figure out with practice.

If you don't have the ability to practice movers ahead of time, then the kestrel at least gives you a pretty good starting point.

Never shot a mover or have anywhere to do so. I will wing it haha I've shot plenty of game on the move but not at 1000 yards 😅 be interesting and will chalk that stage for learning and experience because I'm still learning my kestrel

Never shot a mover or have anywhere to do so. I will wing it haha I've shot plenty of game on the move but not at 1000 yards 😅 be interesting and will chalk that stage for learning and experience because I'm still learning my kestrel

Use your kestrel and enjoy the challenge.

Movers take a bit of practice to get comfortable and proficient at. Not only do you have to understand your personal response time, but you also need to try and find out what strategy you prefer between the follow or ambush/trap.

Just have fun with it. One tip is to dial in your wind, so you don't have to mentally account for that variable while trying to figure the rest of it out on the clock.

Reactions: lash
    Also, this may seem counter intuitive at first thought, but movers at distance are A LOT easier than movers at short ranges.

A mover going at 3 mph at 1,000 yards is a hell of a lot easier than shooting a 3 mph mover at 100 yards, so in this specific instance distance is your friend.

Use your kestrel and enjoy the challenge.

Movers take a bit of practice to get comfortable and proficient at. Not only do you have to understand your personal response time, but you also need to try and find out what strategy you prefer between the follow or ambush/trap.

Just have fun with it. One tip is to dial in your wind, so you don't have to mentally account for that variable while trying to figure the rest of it out on the clock.
    I'm a wind dialer but I've been practicing for reticle wind holds figured it would be easier overall for comp. So I don't forget to fix wind turret. But that is a great point on dialing I was thinking about that way less of a headache

Reactions: lash and kthomas
    I'm a wind dialer but I've been practicing for reticle wind holds figured it would be easier overall for comp. So I don't forget to fix wind turret. But that is a great point on dialing I was thinking about that way less of a headache

It's the only time I dial. Normally I prefer to hold for wind with my reticle, but with movers it's easiest to dial it and not have to actively think about it.

Reactions: lash and Schw15
    I just learned the Kestrel has a moving target function that even has a estimation setting. You use a stop watch function on the device and use your reticle to mil it out, basically time a 10 mil movement and it then spits out the dope.

Reactions: kthomas
    I just learned the Kestrel has a moving target function that even has a estimation setting. You use a stop watch function on the device and use your reticle to mil it out, basically time a 10 mil movement and it then spits out the dope.

For those curious, Scott Satterlee covers this function in the YouTube video linked above.

Stupid question guys but never traveled with a rifle and stayed in hotel. Do you just carry the rifle in the hotel or let them know?

No, just wheel it by the alternate entrance if possible in a pelican or whatever case you're using. They know about this competition. No need or reason to let them know.
    I use the Creedmoor shooting bag so looks more like a rifle that a pelican

If anyone is looking to sell their spot, or plans changed. Please let me know. Thanks