• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22-250 Large Frame AR Upper

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
Kicking the idea around buying or trying to build an upper for my AR-10 and going for a .22-250. I am thinking about either a 22" or 24" stainless steel barrel or possible a carbon fiber wrapped barrel if someone makes one. Has anyone does this before or is there anyone making uppers in this caliber? The will be for coyotes, foxes, groundhogs and possibly pigs if I get back to Florida next year

Reactions: Eli17L
I don’t know anything about the builder, but this came up on a really quick google search…

IMG_6009.jpg

22-250 has magazine capacity issues due to the case taper. 22CM is the solution for the LFAR

22-250 has magazine capacity issues due to the case taper. 22CM is the solution for the LFAR
I figure running 5 or 6 rounds per mag should still function. I have a bolt action .22-250 nowthat I reload for. I am really not looking for another caliber to load for.

I acctually looked on thread site and somehow missed this.
Out of stock, and I don’t know when or if they will come back in stock. As mentioned, the 22 cm is the better mouse trap for a large frame ar. And, there should be match quality factory ammo available (along with real match barrels) so no real need to hand load...

I am really not looking for another caliber to load for.
Why not? I can almost guarantee you will have to develop another load for that gas gun. Potentially using a different powder and bullets. If that happens you're basically loading for another cartridge already. Picking up new dies, powder, bullets and brass is likely to be easier than taming a niche high pressure .22 cal large frame AR.

Besides reloading, any reason not to just go 22 ARC in a small frame?

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Why not? I can almost guarantee you will have to develop another load for that gas gun. Potentially using a different powder and bullets. If that happens you're basically loading for another cartridge already. Picking up new dies, powder, bullets and brass is likely to be easier than taming a niche high pressure .22 cal large frame AR.

I don't have a single gas gun that uses the same load as a bolt gun. You eventually get tired of resetting your dies and just buy another set. May as well get into a cartridge that actually works in the platform early on instead of pounding your head against the wall endlessly. It's a little more expensive up front but much less expensive and time consuming later.

Also, not for nothing but, Grendel based cartridges aren't the solution to everything.

Main reason not to go with 22 ARC or 22 CM is I just don't want another caliber. I have Redding, Forster, and RCBS diesfornte .22-250. I could easily set the Reading up for a gas gun and keep the Forster diesfor my current rifle. I can find .22-250 ammo easily around here. I have not seen. 22 ARC or .22 CM at any of my local shops

I built a 24 inch 22-250. Runs great but I can only put 7 rounds in a 10 round mag. No big deal & the coyote don't know the difference.

Reactions: Cascade Hemi
Olympic had a .22-250 AR where they machined the back inside of the mag well back to allow for increased COL, and then made specific mags for it.

iu

Look closely at the back of the mag well/trigger guard. You can see where they machined out the well to allow the longer magazine to fit. Olympic Arms has been out of business for years now though.
iu