• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 nosler project

fdkay

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2009
    Ingleside, Tx
    I had a Remington .223 sps tactical laying around that wasn't being shot. It wasn't consistent and the 1-9 twist just didn't thrill me.
    I got to thinking about the .22 nosler in a bolt gun. The case actually has a bit more capacity than the valkyrie.
    I didn't want to drop a ton of money into the project, so I elected to go with an ER Shaw barrel, 22 inches.
    Manson reamer.
    The magazine is an accurate mag 10 rounder, slightly modified to allow longer coal.
    I'm running 80 custom competition at around 2.52 oal. Hitting 3100 hasn't been hard to do.

Attachments

• 20191026_124113.jpg
      20191026_124113.jpg
      506.8 KB · Views: 207
    • 20191026_124013.jpg
      20191026_124013.jpg
      652.8 KB · Views: 212
    • 20191026_123959.jpg
      20191026_123959.jpg
      676.7 KB · Views: 192
    • 20191026_123954.jpg
      20191026_123954.jpg
      642.5 KB · Views: 207
    • 20191026_124148.jpg
      20191026_124148.jpg
      320.6 KB · Views: 206
    Last edited:
    I have thought of doing this on my Tikka. I have heard the brass is trash and thats why the .22 nosler is a bad cartridge. You cant get the velocity without destroying your case. I have a Harte 6mm barrel i could have cut for a 6mm/.22 nosler. How is the accuracy? Hows the brass? Soft?

Reactions: TACC
    I've long figured that the Nosler had the potential to be king of the "AR" cartridges (due to the case capacity) and that it just needed to be done in an action/with magazines that allow it to be loaded long. These results kinda prove out my theory.

Sounds like a fun little shooter!

I have thought of doing this on my Tikka. I have heard the brass is trash and thats why the .22 nosler is a bad cartridge. You cant get the velocity without destroying your case. I have a Harte 6mm barrel i could have cut for a 6mm/.22 nosler. How is the accuracy? Hows the brass? Soft?
    I've been pleased with the brass. I bought so dogtown brass, which is midway brand that is actually made by nosler.
    Honestly, it has been perplexing. I would expect that I could get another 100 fps, but I hit that 3100 threshold and that's it. I start getting pressure signs soon after.
    Primer choice seems very important.
    I am getting 3100 with low sds with the 80 grain custom competition seated to 2.52 over 31 grains of rl15 and cci 400 primers.
    If I switch to cci benchrest primers, I can go higher but the velocity gains are minimal.
    Accuracy has been excellent.

I did have to adjust the feed lips a bit. The debated rim did cause some issues. Feeds pretty damn good now

My 22 nosler is in a gas gun, so I am curious about the results of this as well.

You said accuracy was great, can you give some specifics and at what distances you were testing from?

My 22 nosler is in a gas gun, so I am curious about the results of this as well.

You said accuracy was great, can you give some specifics and at what distances you were testing from?
    So far, I've been shooting at 100 yards as I work on loads.
    I've shot some steel at 275 just fooling around.
    I haven't measured groups or anything yet but we've seen good accuracy. I'm not much of a group shooter.
    I think I've settled on the load, I'll get some rounds downrange.

I've been pleased with the brass. I bought so dogtown brass, which is midway brand that is actually made by nosler.
    Honestly, it has been perplexing. I would expect that I could get another 100 fps, but I hit that 3100 threshold and that's it. I start getting pressure signs soon after.
    Primer choice seems very important.
    I am getting 3100 with low sds with the 80 grain custom competition seated to 2.52 over 31 grains of rl15 and cci 400 primers.
    If I switch to cci benchrest primers, I can go higher but the velocity gains are minimal.
    Accuracy has been excellent.
    Is there better brass? Never heard of dogtown. If i did this in 6mm ill need good brass. Only draw back to this cartridge that i can see.

Is there better brass? Never heard of dogtown. If i did this in 6mm ill need good brass. Only draw back to this cartridge that i can see.
    The only source I know of is nosler and dogtown. As I said, Dogtown is made by nosler for midwayusa. I haven't had any issues with brass.

The only real way to get better brass would be a NosGar which is the 6mm Hagar necked down. 6 Hagar was the parent for the 22 Nosler if I remember right.

I believe Nosler brass is made by Norma. Lots of times the Dogtown stuff can be seconds, but it's hidden in the fine print in the description.

My bil has one in an AR and it beats brass up pretty good (like any gas gun), but he hasn't had issues with primer pockets.

@fdkay do you know what the freebore is on that Manson reamer by chance? I'm considering building one of these in a bolt gun too and wanted to seat the 77/80/88 out there around 2.5XX now that MDT has released their 6.8 AICS pattern mags. I've been running 75gr ELD-Ms
    @2950 in a Criterion .223 Wylde chambered 26" barrel, but I am pushing the limit on max pressure. With the extra case capacity 3k to 3.1k should be comfortably achievable. This caliber would only be a barrel swap for me versus a .220 Thunderbolt would require a new action.

@fdkay do you know what the freebore is on that Manson reamer by chance? I'm considering building one of these in a bolt gun too and wanted to seat the 77/80/88 out there around 2.5XX now that MDT has released their 6.8 AICS pattern mags. I've been running 75gr ELD-Ms
    @2950 in a Criterion .223 Wylde chambered 26" barrel, but I am pushing the limit on max pressure. With the extra case capacity 3k to 3.1k should be comfortably achievable. This caliber would only be a barrel swap for me versus a .220 Thunderbolt would require a new action.

I have the reamer print somewhere. However, we used a uni throated and throated it a bit longer. Keep in mind, the reamer is geared towards ar15 mag length

I have the reamer print somewhere. However, we used a uni throated and throated it a bit longer. Keep in mind, the reamer is geared towards ar15 mag length
    That would explain it. I wondering how you were seating the bullets out that far. :) I know with the .220 Thunderbolt has both an AR and bolt gun reamer. I'll have to discuss throat options with my gunsmith. Thanks.