• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Ackley Improved

My experience with two 223AI rifles is that they seem to be easier to tune than the standard 223, which means a wider node. Trimming is minimal, if at all. Velocity bump is 100-150fps.

100fps? Really?

Still doesn't seem worth it. If for nothing else, half the barrel life

I'm sure there is reduced barrel life but half is a stretch. ~5% less would be my guess. The barrel doesn't heat up any faster than my 223 Rem rifles.

My experience with two 223AI rifles is that they seem to be easier to tune than the standard 223, which means a wider node. Trimming is minimal, if at all. Velocity bump is 100-150fps.

I'm sure there is reduced barrel life but half is a stretch. ~5% less would be my guess. The barrel doesn't heat up any faster than my 223 Rem rifles.
What about fire forming brass? Isn't that wasting barrel life or am I missing something.

Edit: maybe new brass is available now

Last edited:
What about fire forming brass? Isn't that wasting barrel life or am I missing something.

Fireforming the .223AI is essentially just shooting a .223. There’s no multiple steps to forming brass like some other AI’s/wildcats. Just load and shoot some standard .223, and you have .223AI brass ready for your second loading.

Most I’ve talked to have reported the same exceptional accuracy even during fireforming standard .223 loads in their .223AI guns. What negatives exist?

Imagine if you could shoot your brand new .223 Rem, and on your second brass loading you magically gain 100+fps, never have to trim your brass again, and barely see a difference in barrel life.

100fps? Really?

Still doesn't seem worth it. If for nothing else, half the barrel life
I don't know about half the barrel life, but I'd like to see a comparison of speed with the same barrel. Beginning with vanilla 223, and then reamed out to AI. Seems to me the potential of speed gains are within the speed variations of different barrels. I've done the 223AI. It was a fun cartridge and almost every load seemed to hammer, but never again. Maybe that barrel would shoot equally as well if it'd been a plain 223?People claim that there's no such thing as fire forming 223AI...but you aren't shooting a 223AI unless you are shooting a 223AI.

I don't know about half the barrel life, but I'd like to see a comparison of speed with the same barrel. Beginning with vanilla 223, and then reamed out to AI. Seems to me the potential of speed gains are within the speed variations of different barrels. I've done the 223AI. It was a fun cartridge and almost every load seemed to hammer, but never again. Maybe that barrel would shoot equally as well if it'd been a plain 223?People claim that there's no such thing as fire forming 223AI...but you aren't shooting a 223AI unless you are shooting a 223AI.
I don’t see what the issue is. Next time I’m out I’ll chrono factory loaded .223 Berger match 73 grain. It runs like 2690 or so out of my 22” barrel. Once I load the fire formed brass into .223ai I’m looking at loading them to 2900 with 80 eld’s.

So fireforming is your just shooting regular loads and then when you process brass you do another load work up to maximize the AI.

Reactions: ohnomrbillk
I don’t see what the issue is. Next time I’m out I’ll chrono factory loaded .223 Berger match 73 grain. It runs like 2690 or so out of my 22” barrel. Once I load the fire formed brass into .223ai I’m looking at loading them to 2900 with 80 eld’s.

So fireforming is your just shooting regular loads and then when you process brass you do another load work up to maximize the AI.
I don't want to process brass and then do another load workup. That's an extra step called fire forming.

What would that berger factory load clock in that same barrel if it were chambered straight 223?

What would that same barrel do with that 80 eld in a straight 223?

Sum Ting Wong stole my words 😎

Fireforming does not eat 50% of the barrel life. You should get 5+ loadings out of fireformed brass.

I'm running a 22" 223AI barrel and getting velocities that would take a 27-28" barrel in a 223 Rem.

I also have 18" and 24" barrels in 223 as well. They get shot quite often with my standard AR load, and perform great, but the difference between the 223 and the 223AI is very noticeable past 600 yards. The added 100ish fps really brings out the BC in some bullets.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
I get from a standard .223 2.5" coal, 26" 7 twist shcnieder barrel, 80gr amax over 24.3gr rl15 2850 fps. 1200 meters like a boss
I see no need for the extra steps. Just the way i see it tho. Doesn't mean much

I get from a standard .223 2.5" coal, 26" 7 twist shcnieder barrel, 80gr amax over 24.3gr rl15 2850 fps. 1200 meters like a boss
I see no need for the extra steps. Just the way i see it tho. Doesn't mean much

I built several ARs and chambered the barrel with the same reamer as my bolt gun. These include door kicker setups that get big volume. I feed them range appropriate ammo for the cause. Most often lake city. Often new ammo.

They all eject formed brass.

That brass can be reloaded for the AR, but it is the only brass I load for the bolt guns chambered in Ackley improved.

You essentially eliminate any fire form effort this way, and can have a lifetime supply of bolt gun brass quickly.

It’s easy to sort your brass from others at a Match.

You essentially never have to trim.

I get better brass life with my Ackley. I think the sharper shoulder decreases brass flow on serial firings. Same reason you don’t need to trim much.

Velocity gain is a small bonus. I acknowledge it’s not a big velocity difference.

I think the case is closer to ideal for accuracy than the parent case. Obviously lots of variables come into accuracy.

The other thing is that it’s something unique. Sometimes having something different is cool. Like a custom car. Maybe the car isn’t faster or get better mileage. But maybe it is uniquely yours. And that is part of the lure.

Fireforming load,

Starline Brass,
20 yr old ? RP 7.5 primers,
about the same vintage RL-15 24.1 grains,

Nosler 77cc. 2.41x COL

Brass is about 90% fireformed, velocity 2750 out of a 7 twist Bartlein @Bugholes spun up . SD low teens.

It Shoots PFG, can't wait to start working on Ackley load development, but have a few more cases to fireform first. Was shooting at rocks at 600 yds today. Love the caliber.

Maybe I'll get lucky and the loads developed for the "others" ;) will work in this one. Might as well dream...

Last edited:
Just ran through my first two day Precision Service rifle with the 223AI (open division) and the 75gn ELD-M load with great effect. Completely sold on this cartridge.

Reactions: Sum Ting Wong
What's the go-to reamer to buy for 75 - 88 grain bullets? I'll be more on the 75 grain end of things but have a small stock of 88s to burn through.

Starline fireformed brass (1F)
25.2 H4895
Fed 205m AR primers
80 grain Hornady Amax
25" 7 twist Bartlein
Neck sized
.248 Bushing
2.52 COL

2996.7 FPS 8.6 SD w / 8" Suppressor (ave of 20 shots) @44 degrees

I hope to try it out on a coyote in the very near future.

What is somewhat interesting is that with 75-80 grain bullets in 3 different platforms, 25-25.3 grains of H4895 have worked extremely well. I also have a couple boxes of 80.5 grain Bergers I want to work up a load with, and try on coyotes as well hopefully.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
What's the go-to reamer to buy for 75 - 88 grain bullets? I'll be more on the 75 grain end of things but have a small stock of 88s to burn through.
Mine is 0.060" and works good for bullets in that weight range.

Just took off my 26” 1:8 223AI barrel. Not even close to being shot out after 1500+ rounds. I replaced it with a straight 223 with a 1:12 twist for lighter bullets and shorter distances. It will go back on at some point, however, the next AI barrel will have a 1:12 twist and a shorter throat for 52-55 grainers.

Steve Timm, from Varmint Hunter Magazine made the .223AI famous. He reported well over 10,000 rounds, including several major prairie dogs shoots, before changing his barrel. Shoot on and don't sweat the rumors.

I’ve been testing loads with the 75 ELD-M in 223AI to see if I can adopt them as a cheap projectile for 300-500m comps. Using mag length OALs and ADI2206H (H4895) and ADI fire formed brass went with the following loads over shot groups

24.5 /mean 2906fps / sd-12
25.0/ mean 2987fps / sd - 10
25.5/ mean 3055fps/ sd- 12
26.0/ mean 3106 / sd- 6 *chrony only counted 3 shots
If you wanted to try other powders, I was getting around 2770fps from both BM8208 and BM2 in my 18" 223 Tikka with 75gr BTHPs.
Not sure it'd be any faster than your 3100fps but another option. Doing a powder throwing test (cheap lee powder thrower) the BM8208 metered very very well.

Do you know what freebore you went with?
I'm planning a similar build as yours (either 223 or 223AI) with the hopes of running 88gr ELD's for matches and 75gr BTHPs for plinking/training.

If you wanted to try other powders, I was getting around 2770fps from both BM8208 and BM2 in my 18" 223 Tikka with 75gr BTHPs.
Not sure it'd be any faster than your 3100fps but another option. Doing a powder throwing test (cheap lee powder thrower) the BM8208 metered very very well.

I'm planning a similar build as yours (either 223 or 223AI) with the hopes of running 88gr ELD's for matches and 75gr BTHPs for plinking/training.
Just something to think about. I am running 80’s but everyone I know runs the 75’s as the DOPE matches with the 80 grain Berger’s almost identical.

So they are telling me they tried out the 80 eld’s and went back to 75’s and they just seem to work much better.

I don’t know if the 88’s would be something I would look at for .223. They would be better suited for 22 creed, 22GT

Thanks for the suggestion. There seems to have been a drop-off in availability for the 2206H/H4895 in and around my area. I did give 8208 some consideration when I was last in the shop.

Regrettably I don’t know my free-bore. I’m probably not absolutely worried either as I’m running mag length OALs because of the competition I’m doing this year.

I have tried the 88gn ELD-Ms. I was getting an average of 2803fps out of my 26” barrel from 24.2gn of 2206H/H4895. I have stuck with 75-77gn weight range because they are cheaper and arguably allow more flexibility for developing an optimal powder charge given the length of the projectile versus the longer heavier 80+ weight class in an mag constrained OAL.

The below is a result from yesterday’s session at 600m dealing with sustained right-left wind that was varying speed of 4-13mph using the 75ELD-Ms @3106 (26.5gn 2206H/H4895). Vertical spread is pretty consistent (tailwinds did swing in on occasions) so quite happy with that load as a performer.

IMG_1571.jpeg

Reactions: Evlshnngns
Just something to think about. I am running 80’s but everyone I know runs the 75’s as the DOPE matches with the 80 grain Berger’s almost identical.

So they are telling me they tried out the 80 eld’s and went back to 75’s and they just seem to work much better.

I don’t know if the 88’s would be something I would look at for .223. They would be better suited for 22 creed, 22GT
The 80-90gr bullets seem to be a little bit too heavy in a vanilla 223.

Considering the BC for the 88 ELDs is the same as the 108 ELDs my dream would be to get the 88s to around 2800fps, which would then be equal to a 6BR. Obviously less energy/splash but would be almost zero recoil.

It does seem quite common for people to opt for the 75s vs the 80 ELDs, on paper the BC is improved a fair bit but perhaps practically you cant drive them quick enough in 223.

Thanks for the suggestion. There seems to have been a drop-off in availability for the 2206H/H4895 in and around my area. I did give 8208 some consideration when I was last in the shop.

Regrettably I don’t know my free-bore. I’m probably not absolutely worried either as I’m running mag length OALs because of the competition I’m doing this year.

I have tried the 88gn ELD-Ms. I was getting an average of 2803fps out of my 26” barrel from 24.2gn of 2206H/H4895. I have stuck with 75-77gn weight range because they are cheaper and arguably allow more flexibility for developing an optimal powder charge given the length of the projectile versus the longer heavier 80+ weight class in an mag constrained OAL.

The below is a result from yesterday’s session at 600m dealing with sustained right-left wind that was varying speed of 4-13mph using the 75ELD-Ms @3106 (26.5gn 2206H/H4895). Vertical spread is pretty consistent (tailwinds did swing in on occasions) so quite happy with that load as a performer.

View attachment 8298105
Pretty impressive results, reloads must be pretty cheap too (if you have primers at the old prices...).

What magazines are you using?
Did you find they were quite limiting on your seating depth with the 88s?
2800fps is pretty much where I'd be hoping to be with this cartridge.

223 AI, Lapua brass, Varget, CCI SRM. 24” Ruger RPR. It’s really accurate, I’ve shot it out to 600yds and it just wrecks clay birds off a bipod and bag. I was using it for club PRS matches. My 75gr ELDM load runs around 3000 fps.
IMG_4423.jpeg

Reactions: tnc
The 80-90gr bullets seem to be a little bit too heavy in a vanilla 223.

Considering the BC for the 88 ELDs is the same as the 108 ELDs my dream would be to get the 88s to around 2800fps, which would then be equal to a 6BR. Obviously less energy/splash but would be almost zero recoil.

It does seem quite common for people to opt for the 75s vs the 80 ELDs, on paper the BC is improved a fair bit but perhaps practically you cant drive them quick enough in 223.
I should have clarified we are loading .223 AI as well.

I can attest the 75’s and the 80 bergers do in fact both shoot great.

I wanted to run the 80’s die to the increase (on paper) but dont have any real world experience. If they don’t work out I’ll be trading them for 75’s

Or build a 22BR,22 GT lol

223 AI, Lapua brass, Varget, CCI SRM. 24” Ruger RPR. It’s really accurate, I’ve shot it out to 600yds and it just wrecks clay birds off a bipod and bag. I was using it for club PRS matches. My 75gr ELDM load runs around 3000 fps.
View attachment 8298146
That’s a great SD over a 40 shot string. Great consistency. I’m assuming that is with the 88’s? How much varget are you losing to hit those velocities with 88’s and have had any pressure signs?

Sorry, yes it was with 88gr ELDMs. I was using 25.1 gr of Varget, no pressure signs. I am using AICS magazines. I have run pressure tests up much higher, but see no reason to with the way this load performs.

By the way nice shooting on the above group. Switchy/fishtailing winds really kick my butt. 😂

Pretty impressive results, reloads must be pretty cheap too (if you have primers at the old prices...).

What magazines are you using?
Did you find they were quite limiting on your seating depth with the 88s?
2800fps is pretty much where I'd be hoping to be with this cartridge.
Thanks. I’ve forgotten how to read wind well enough to hold my own in F-class.

I’m using Accurate-mags, 223 3.050, in my ESS chassis. I have ground outa little the front section of the plastic lip out to extend the OAL.

I brought a sample bag of the 88’s from someone to play with them out curiosity to see what could be achieved. The point you make about achieving similar ballistics as 108s in a 6BR is interesting and something I didn’t consider. I was using the 2206/H4895 that burns faster that 2208/Varget meaning less case capacity required.

Picture below was the full test string for the 88’s.
I’d never say never to using them again. I’m really just looking for a load to focus on for the 223AI that I can work with and not use up barrel life doing any more tinkering.
IMG_1572.jpeg

I'm using the 88 ELD-M's in my 26" 1:7 twist 223 AI with Reloader 15, ADI brass and CCI BR4 primers. RL15 seems to bridge the gap between 2206H and 2208 and provide pretty decent velocity, it's just difficult to come by here. The case is pretty much full but it doesn't crunch anything seating the bullets. I'm using MDT mags with the front opened up and can just seat them out far enough to touch the lands, I'm currently running them at .060" jump so there's plenty of clearance at the front of the mag. The table below is some load development when I fitted a new barrel last year. I'm running it towards the top end of the table and it's settled down to around 2840 fps. It shoots flatter than my 6BRX with 115 DTAC's and it's much the same for wind out to 600 or so which is as far as I usually use it.

1702764827738.png

I'm using the 88 ELD-M's in my 26" 1:7 twist 223 AI with Reloader 15, ADI brass and CCI BR4 primers. RL15 seems to bridge the gap between 2206H and 2208 and provide pretty decent velocity, it's just difficult to come by here. The case is pretty much full but it doesn't crunch anything seating the bullets. I'm using MDT mags with the front opened up and can just seat them out far enough to touch the lands, I'm currently running them at .060" jump so there's plenty of clearance at the front of the mag. The table below is some load development when I fitted a new barrel last year. I'm running it towards the top end of the table and it's settled down to around 2840 fps. It shoots flatter than my 6BRX with 115 DTAC's and it's much the same for wind out to 600 or so which is as far as I usually use it.

View attachment 8298177
2880fps is screaming, thats pushing 22BR speeds. I guess 26gr of powder isn't far off a mild BR load.

Is 223AI popular in Ozzy? Who da thunk their would be (atleast) two Australians posting in this thread. NZ here.

Reactions: delinquent pleb
2880fps is screaming, thats pushing 22BR speeds. I guess 26gr of powder isn't far off a mild BR load.

Is 223AI popular in Ozzy? Who da thunk their would be (atleast) two Australians posting in this thread. NZ here.
Yeah it's an amazing little cartridge. There seems to be more and more of them showing up at matches, the performance vs cost to load/barrel life and lack of any recoil make it a no-brainer. These cases have lasted longer than the last barrel and I've only lost a couple with loose pockets, half of them were out of the brass bins at the range, ADI is easy to spot as once fired. I might run some Lapua brass in the future to make me feel better but the gun doesn't seem to care :)

Dies are still a hassle to get hold of for it though, I could only get a standard Redding set. I've had a Redding body die on back order for almost 2 years and ended up reaming the neck of the Redding FL die so it doesn't touch the neck and using a Lee Collet die which is a lot more consistent. I keep looking at the SAC modular dies, I think I might have to order one in the new year.

Yeh it’s picking up I think. Everything @Gtar stated above I would agree with. It gives it tremendous appeal, in my opinion, to anyone that wants to shoot often and competitively. I have shot 223 for years and this was an entirely sensible cartridge to adopt a performance step up.

I was at a Precision Service Rifle (different to PRS) comp last week and there was at least three others plus mine. A good friend of mine has just had one chambered after watching mine.

Yeah it's an amazing little cartridge. There seems to be more and more of them showing up at matches, the performance vs cost to load/barrel life and lack of any recoil make it a no-brainer. These cases have lasted longer than the last barrel and I've only lost a couple with loose pockets, half of them were out of the brass bins at the range, ADI is easy to spot as once fired. I might run some Lapua brass in the future to make me feel better but the gun doesn't seem to care :)

Dies are still a hassle to get hold of for it though, I could only get a standard Redding set. I've had a Redding body die on back order for almost 2 years and ended up reaming the neck of the Redding FL die so it doesn't touch the neck and using a Lee Collet die which is a lot more consistent. I keep looking at the SAC modular dies, I think I might have to order one in the new year.
Hmmm, yeah thats a good point.
Is it just you can't get he dies locally, or they not even available internationally (Brownells etc)?

It's been my go to rifle for years but even more so with the new high BC bullets. 2750-2850 depending on freebore and power with the 88s is a solid combo for training and local matches. It doesn't do too bad even at larger prs matches.

Reactions: beetroot
@delinquent pleb and others.

Some of these loads that appear to be spicy (compared to what I can safely run. Curious what is your case life before the primer pockets loosen up? I have been using LC/old bulk WW brass, and have been getting about 5 firings before the PP loosen up. I just started trying out some Starline 5.56 and a box of Lapua brass though. No data to report yet.

Also any recommendations on a die that will reduce the area ahead of the web better than my redding FL bushing die. Currently still running 25.1/25.2 H4895 in 2 separate rifles one with 75 and the other 80 grain hornady eldms and amaxes.

Thanks.

@delinquent pleb and others.

Some of these loads that appear to be spicy (compared to what I can safely run. Curious what is your case life before the primer pockets loosen up? I have been using LC/old bulk WW brass, and have been getting about 5 firings before the PP loosen up. I just started trying out some Starline 5.56 and a box of Lapua brass though. No data to report yet.

Also any recommendations on a die that will reduce the area ahead of the web better than my redding FL bushing die. Currently still running 25.1/25.2 H4895 in 2 separate rifles one with 75 and the other 80 grain hornady eldms and amaxes.

Thanks.
So, as far as the dies recommendations go I went a Redding set and that was all I could get hold. I ordered mine from precision reloading in SD, USA. Pretty much whatever I could get. Possibly talk to Wilson about some custom dies.

I’m currently using ADI brass and brass after about 5 re-loadings is looking okay. PPs are not overly tight but not “loose”. The firings don’t indicate any dramatic or obvious indications of pressure. That said when I developed/tested those loads it was winter and I’m closely watching for signs of heavy bolt lifts in these warmer months. I haven’t noticed anything recently, I was shooting the 26.5gn 2206/H4895 yesterday in 34deg Celsius heat and there were no issues.

The Lapua brass is stronger and denser and may not give you the capacity and could result in higher/different pressure profiles that I am seeing with my brass and action.

Yeh it’s picking up I think. Everything @Gtar stated above I would agree with. It gives it tremendous appeal, in my opinion, to anyone that wants to shoot often and competitively. I have shot 223 for years and this was an entirely sensible cartridge to adopt a performance step up.

I was at a Precision Service Rifle (different to PRS) comp last week and there was at least three others plus mine. A good friend of mine has just had one chambered after watching mine.
One of them was mine (y)
1702816028597.png

So I am having an issue with resizing my .223 AI brass.

Brass is fired out of my CDG and measuring at 1.487.

Once I resize it is measuring at 1.489 no matter how far I screw my die down. I cannot screw or down anymore.

I am using Redding with a 246 bushing measuring with a Hornady comparator. Forester co-AX press.

I have loaded thousands of 6.5 creed and 6GT with the exact same brands of tools without issue.

Never had this issue before.

Should I be looking at getting the die in the lathe and taking it down a few thousandths?

Last edited:

Once I resize it is measuring at 1.489 no matter how far I screw my die down. I cannot screw or down anymore.

I am using Redding with a 246 bushing measuring with a Hornady comparator. Forester co-AX press.

I have loaded thousands of 6.5 creed and 6GT with the exact same brands of tools without issue.

Do you anneal your brass?

Is the press "camming over"?

No. Factory brass from loaded Berger ammunition.

Fired
Tumbled
Lubed
Attempted to size.

Can someone measure a pice of fired brass to ensure my chamber isn’t out of wack or my numbers aren’t far off?

The thing I THINK is happening is the brass is being size and squeezed at the base which is causing it to move upwards towards the shoulder. The shoulder is growing and I am running out of die before the shoulder is being resized back down.

So I will need to shave the die down to get it to size the shoulder down instead of it allowing it to grow.

Let's back up a step. Does the sized brass chamber in your rifle?
Will check here in a bit.

After looking at the .223AI reamer prints maybe I need to see if they will chamber without resizing them and load them again.
1702836511179.jpeg

Looking at this it’s almost if uniting it UP to fill the reamer specs.

Maybe they need to be fired again to fully fire form.

Should I be looking at getting the die in the lathe and taking it down a few thousandths?
Yes.

I recently did this on a friend's 223AI Lee die. I had to take off .002 to bump the shoulder back .002.

This happened with my first size die in 220 Swift when I was 14 years old but a local gunsmith figured the problem out for me. Like 50 years ago!

Yes.

I recently did this on a friend's 223AI Lee die. I had to take off .002 to bump the shoulder back .002.

This happened with my first size die in 220 Swift when I was 14 years old but a local gunsmith figured the problem out for me. Like 50 years ago!
Would the Redding competition shell holders achieve the same thing?

They lift the case up in .002" increments, if I'm correct?