• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.223 match factory ammo recommendation for a gas gun.

BigPineyTradingPost

USMC, 0341
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2018
Missouri
What factory brand do you recommend for an AR15? Is Hornady Black in a 75-grain bullet consistent?
I have an 18-inch barrel with a 1:8 twist.

I have some MagTech 5.56 77g OTM that shoots respectable at 100y, the horizontal spread is likely operator/14x scope induced.
Older Olympic Arms Ultramatch upper/lower with a new 22" 1:7.7 Kreiger.

i-VMfDbvC-M.jpg

Black Hills ammo has about five different .223 Match loads, and they manufacture great ammo. Are you restricted to 223, or is your AR-15 approved for 5.56 as well?

I've had very good results from SSA 5.56 77gr OTM shot from a 1:8 14.5"

The Hornady Black 75 shoots consistent for me. IMI 69gr Razorcore is great too.

Some of the best stuff for me is the Australian Outback SMKs 69gr:

Reactions: deersniper
I have some MagTech 5.56 77g OTM that shoots respectable at 100y, the horizontal spread is likely operator/14x scope induced.
Older Olympic Arms Ultramatch upper/lower with a new 22" 1:7.7 Kreiger.

i-VMfDbvC-M.jpg

I have also had great results with that ammo.

I have a precision AR-15 with a 1-8 barrel. Federal Gold Medal Match Sierra Match King 77-gr has been the best for me.

I don't always shoot like this, but... No holes under the dime! :)

1575649930225.png

Last edited:
I've run circa 10 different factory match loads through my Bartlein 18inch SPR. It likes FGMM 69 and 77 gr, sig 77 gr OTM, and 77 grain SMK BH .223. It is consistently .5 MOA (or less in some instances) with those rounds. It opens up to .5-1 MOA with .77 gr TMK BH, 69 gr Outback, 75gr Hornady Black, IMI 77 gr OTM and another I'm forgetting at the moment.

Last edited:
Win. Match .223 69gr. SMK/Gorilla Match .223 77gr. SMK/ B.H. 5.56mm 77gr. TMK, would be your Huckleberry, They all shoot tight groups out of my 18" Bull Barrel w/ 1n8T and Wylde chamber and I don't have a chrono, so no M.V.'s, just shoot and measure.
Mac:cool:

Last edited:
I have a 223 Wilde chamber, 18”, 1-8 twist barrel. I’ve shot the heavier stuff. I shot the magtech 77gr but they were at 2,730fps. I shot the FGMB and the Sig 77gr and they were slow. The Sigs were at 2,200fps. They were so slow I thought my chrono was wrong. The IMI razorcore shoots 2,760 for me. I wanted the extra speed to shoot farther. Magtech and IMI grouped the same and SDs were close. I’ve never broke down and bought Black Hills.

I thought the bullet RISES before it drops!

Every. Damn. Manual. Hahahaha

OP...
Defender Ammunition 77gr
Black Hills 77gr OTM
FGMM 69gr
(Never tried any 75gr so I can’t recommend any)

Another vote for 77 gr FGMM.

Attachments

• E3EA7BDE-10EF-4A33-A218-80F87D4853E6.jpeg
    E3EA7BDE-10EF-4A33-A218-80F87D4853E6.jpeg
    646 KB · Views: 113
Has anyone tried the Freedom Munitions 77gr? If so which one, they list a 223 and a 5.56 and they have 200fps different MV. Curious about this stuff since it's only $.50/rd and Freedom Munitions seems to get pretty good feedback.

My go to is 77gr FGMM for accuracy since it's always been great in everything I've run it, but I also really like the Magtech and IMI 77gr stuff for a inexpensive alternation. If you get a good lot it will shoot very very close to the FGMM and it's quite a bit faster.

Freedom Munitions seems to get pretty good feedback.
No.
FM is universally known in 3 gun land as a good way to blow up your gun. You would not believe how many squibs, case head separations and peirced primers I've witnessed over the years. When I shot their 55gr stuff I chrono'd around a 250fps ES in 10 rounds. They've also been in and out of business, bankrupt or continuously bought out multiple times.

I've had great accuracy with IMI 77 gr Razorcore (have a base of 69 gr IMI I haven't shot yet also)

Haven't tried any others......(bought IMI to get me through a period where no time/place for reloading)

Barrel is an 18 in WOA SPR in .223 Wylde

No.
FM is universally known in 3 gun land as a good way to blow up your gun. You would not believe how many squibs, case head separations and peirced primers I've witnessed over the years. When I shot their 55gr stuff I chrono'd around a 250fps ES in 10 rounds. They've also been in and out of business, bankrupt or continuously bought out multiple times.
Good to know.

No.

lol, I'll stay away form it then. I've heard a bunch of people say it's good but never really looked into it too far.

I need Midway to run another big sale on the IMI razor core again like they did last year.

Their 77gr stuff might have better QC seeing as how its labeled a match load, but I'd still stay away..

If you’re seeing 250fps ES then that tells me their consistency is sloppy AF too and I doubt that at $.50/rd they’re loading the match stuff on any different equipment than the others. I’ll spend the extra $.15/rd for IMI when my stash dwindles down again.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
As mentioned above, midway runs a great deal a few times a year on the IMI 69 and 77grain

I happened upon a sale on some sig 77 grn. It had a super low SD and was extremely accurate out of my AR.

A lot of wisdom in this thread, will try to add value with I recently shot some Fiocchi 77smk that shot surprisingly extremely well, and found a smoking deal on it at SgAmmo a month back.

Reactions: bfoosh006
I use Spark Munitions, 69 SMK and 75. The Prime stuff is pretty good too.

I haven't shot Razor Core yet. Before I started loading my own I shot Black Hills 77 grain Match when I shot past 100 yards.

i bought a bunch of different match ammo to try side by side in my "precision" ar (1:8 twist) and my tavors of all things. but the one that kept rising to the top was the Corbon precision match 77 gr smk

fiochi 77 gr was fairly good,

the old prime 77 gr match from ruag was darn good as well

i did not try the best black hills stuff.

all the 77-75 gr stuff outshot the lower weight bullets in my experimenting. except the 69 gr fmgg shot very well.

i noticed that the stuff with crannulations on the bullets or stuff that crimped the necks on the bullets was not as consistent. YMMV

Last edited: