• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223AI heavy bullets

mbandy13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2005
Fishers Indiana
I'm getting started on a new build, and Im going to do 223AI. After reading through the archives, and doing some other research, Im seeing a very common theme. I'm really only interested in using 75gr-90gr bullets. It seems from reading that the 75gr amax is extremely popular, I'm stalled right now from ordering my krieger barrel for this build because Im debating over twist. Im thinking that 6.5 twist might be a better choice for the 80-90gr bullets. I have not seen any mention of using a 7.7 twist or using the 77grSMK which I use with great results in my long range AR, why?
If I do use the heavier bullets will I have a problem getting them to fit in the new AI mags? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mike

Re: 223AI heavy bullets

I shoot a Rock 8 twist at 22 inches, and the rifle is very accurate with 75 amaxes and 80 bergers out to 600. I can't speak to the 77 smk's, as I see no reason to not use amaxes or bergers loaded to kiss the lands.

AI mags give me ample room for OAL adjustment, and they feed extremely well via a Badger DBM set-up. The only problem that I have experienced with feeding is when I am single loading...the round has to be perfectly placed, in my rifle at least, to feed without issue.

Good luck with the rifle, they are a blast to shoot.

I don't own a 223AI, YET, but all my research shows an 8 twist barrel is the way to go for that range of bullet weight (75-80 grain) Check out the .223 section at 6mmbr.com; they say the same thing.

well thats the reason that I mention the 1-6.5 because the article I read from the 6mmbr website, the guy says that you dont see people shooting the 90gr bullets because he feels you need the faster 6.5 twist. So my question comes again why are so many people shooting the 1-8 twist? I can understant if you want to shoot lighter bullets as well but it would seem to me that the 1-7.7 twist or the 1-7 would be even more ideal for 75-80gr bullets only? I'm not trying to be difficult here, Im just trying to pick the ideal twist for what Im trying to do. Thats the reason I picked the 7.7 twist for that AR because I knew I was only going to shoot the 77gr in it.

thanks

mike

To be honest i would use an 8 twist with 7 being the fastest. I shoot a factory 1:9 SPS Tactical with the 77 SMKs and they do fine out to 800. I am eventually gonna use an 8 twist and have it chambered in the AI and run the 75 amax. Thats probably your best bet. Also i believe its Snafubar that runs the 90s in his 223 and 30" barrel i believe.

mbandy13,

It is going to be difficult to get the 90's going fast enough to outperform the 75-80 grain a-max's and VLD's in a 223 chamber AI or not. I too am building a 223 AI and went with the 1-8t but if you are so inclined I don’t see a problem going with something in the 7, 7.5 or 7.7 twists. But an 8 will get it done.

I'm running a 7 twist in my 223AI. Absolutely loves the 80gr.Bergers, shoots the Hornaday 75bthp, 75 and 80gr. A-maxes well also. Maybe to much twist in some peoples opinion but I can find no fault with it.

Im running a 8 twist @ 20" Rock Creek with 75gr A-Max in 223AI and it dont get much better.Im shooting golf balls at 400yds and as long as i do my part im hitting them.I have found in the 223AI i do best when the loads are hot.

guys thanks for all of the input on the subject, those were the answers I was expecting.

mike