• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report 264 Win Mag for long range?

exhogflyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
Near Albany, NY, USA
Guys, sorry if I put this in the wrong section...
I'm considering this caliber for long range ( over 500 yds)shooting and nothing turned up in the search.Seems to me it would have many advantages..6.5mm bullets have great BC, high velocity would help combat drift,same case as the 300 win mag,dies available.I see it as an "improved" version on the 300 mag.Am I missing something? Has many advantages over a 6.5x284 and thats a popular one for 1k shooting...anybody?

Re: 264 Win Mag for long range?

I know its a barrel burner,but so is the 6.5 X .284. Being fantic about the 6.5 bullet,might want to look at the 6.5 X 06,which is basiclly a 30-06 case neck down to the 6.5 bullet. Easier on the barrel too. More powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crazy Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know its a barrel burner,but so is the 6.5 X .284. Being fantic about the 6.5 bullet,might want to look at the 6.5 X 06,which is basiclly a 30-06 case neck down to the 6.5 bullet. Easier on the barrel too. More powder. </div></div>

This is not to challenge your statement 'cause I don't know the facts. For my understanding, what features of the cartridge as to why is the 6.5x06, with more powder as you said, is easier on the barrel than 6.5x284?

Any time a large capacity case with a small bore is fired quickly,barrel wear can be a problem. Spacing shots so the barrel can cool and using moderate loads whenever possible will help prolong the .264 Win. Mag. barrel life. But when use or running 20 -40 rounds through it,well,thats another story. The case diameter on the 264 Mag is .513 and case leght is 2.500 long vs the6.5 X 06 case which is .470 diameter and 2.494 case lenght. It enjoys a smaller case dian=meter in relation to the size of the bullet. Where the .264 mag the case is fatter and shorter in relation to the bullet. The 6.5 X 06 case is less powerful than the 264 Winchester-its advocates claims that may explain why its easier on barrels. My buddy went from a 6.5 X .284 to the 6.5 X 06 case for the 1,000 yard shoot and has never looked back. My correction: the more powder is an error,the .264 does uses 5 to 8 grains more powder.

Are you going to shoot it a lot? If so, there are better choices that deliver almost as much usable performance at far less cost and aggravation. If not, get out your wallet and have at it...

I have a .260, a 6.5-284 on it's second barrel, a new 6.5-284 and a 6.5-300 Weatherby, so, while I don't have a .264 WinMag, I have played with a few 6.5s...

The single biggest problem with the .264 is barrel life vs the <span style="text-decoration: underline">ACTUAL</span> velocity return. Despite the hype, loaded to safe pressures, it's probably a 3,050 to 3,150 fps cartridge in customary barrel lengths. We can quickly get beyond the point of diminishing returns, and the .264 is already there. Ever wonder why <span style="text-decoration: underline">everyone</span> shoots a .264 and raves about it's benefits? Because, of course, it is efficient, accurate and economical to shoot ... not.

My 6.5-300 Wby delivered 3,400 fps with a 140, but required a barrel setback at 750 rounds, which lost me 3" and about 150 fps. I'd be very lucky to get 500 more from it, and likely less. It still takes 80+ grains of powder to get this 3,250 fps from the now 27" barrel. Effectively, I burn 15 grains more powder to best the .264 by 100 fps.

At 1,000 accurate rounds per barrel, using a $350 barrel it cost $150 to install, this is 50¢ a shot just for burnt steel. Just for fun, assume you live next to the gunsmith and shipping costs nothing, and assume you don't mind going without the rifle for the several weeks it takes to get your work done, months for the big names.

My 6.5-284 uses 53 grains of powder to deliver 3,000 fps from a 26" barrel. The first barrel started to go at about 1,500-1,600 rounds, tossing those occasional fliers we all take credit for, at first. Had I been shooting to F-Class standards (10" 10-ring at 1k), the barrel was already gone then. I dogged it to 2,037, and by then it cost me in steel match standings and delivered 1-1/2" groups when I finally tossed it. I am 1,000 rounds into the new barrel and already I am thinking in the back of mind about the cost (33¢/shot) and aggravation to rebarrel every time I pull the trigger.

The 6.5-06 is a ballistic twin to the 6.5-284. To tell ourselves that we can drive the same bullet at the same speed with the same powder charge, but somehow see an improvement in barrel life is delusional. There are cartridge designs which put convergence inside the case neck that may reduce throat erosion, but the 6.5-06, with it's cordite-style 17o shoulder is certainly not among them. If anything, the sharper shoulder of the 6.5-284 would produce less erosion, all things being equal, which they otherwise are.

My .260 has about 900 on it, and at 43 grains of powder and a 140 at 2,850, I'd reasonably expect F-Class accuracy for at least another 1,000 rounds. If I do get close to 2,000 accurate rounds from this barrel, it's only 25¢ a shot in lost steel.

A .264 will use about 65 grains of powder to achieve 3,100 fps with a 26" barrel. I don't know how many rounds to expect, but it certainly has to be about 1,100-1,200 if it tracks with the other 6.5s that I DO have experience with.

There are always exceptions, and a friend of mine has a Kreiger .300 WinMag barrel with over 4,500 on it that still delivers 1/2 moa, with the occasional flier that could be the barrel. Feel lucky?

There is the question of powder economy, and even availability, but since we're performance driven, we don't care that we burn another 20+ grains of powder to get about 200 fps over the lowly .260, or even another 10-15 grains to get about 100 fps more than the very popular, but well known barrel burning 6.5-284.

While no one says much about it, the vast quantities of slow burning powder is not without additional cost: fouling. Hard carbon forms at the throat and impairs accuracy while increasing pressures.

I have to clean my 6.5-300Wby every 20 rounds to keep pressures at bay. The 6.5-284 should probably be cleaned at 80 to 100 round intervals for best performance, maybe more often for real match accuracy.

If used as a hunting rifle, or even as a secondary gun, I can see it. My 6.5-300 Wby uses 19 minutes to get to 1k, and kills deer like lightning, but at the rate of barrel erosion and as often as it must be cleaned, I only use it to shoot distant deer and groundhogs and I really need other rifles to actually enjoy shooting and/or attend matches.

As a primary rifle, where we might shoot 50-60 rounds during a day out, we either talk way more than we shoot or we put a new barrel on the gun every year, possibly more often. 60 rounds a session is 20 days of shooting, IF we get 1,200 ACCURATE rounds.

I honestly don't care about spending $400-500 every year for a new barrel and more if we re-bed every time, which we should, but I DO care about the two-three months downtime I'd see.

Losing at least one cartridge from your mag capacity probably won't matter, but that's another aspect. On rapid fire strings fired at some of the tactical matches, I begrudge my 4-round capacity with the 6.5-284, and, depending on rifle selection, you may find yourself down to three.

Accuracy is especially critical in this equation, since the whole reason to go to a .264 is to extend our range over lesser cartridges. Without accuracy, our max range gets closer, not further. While I believe that the rifle construction is more critical to accuracy than a few cartridge dimensions, large quantities of very slow powder can be difficult to get to burn consistently, and without very low velocity deviation, long range accuracy really does not exist.

We normally shoot a couple or three long range rifle matches a month. We attend quite a few steel matches, tactical/precision matches and shoot F-Class every month at Quantico. For F-class, my daughter shoots my .260 tactical-style rifle and I use a 6.5-284 tactical-style rifle, both shot from Harris bipods and regular RedTac rear bags. Our scores are usually within one or two points of each other and we fight each other for second or third place. We are usually right there with the "serious guys" shooting dedicated F-Class rigs and benchrest guns. Why such similar scores between the .260 and 6.5-284, even though they're 100 fps or more apart? Not because of anything to do with ballistics, but because I call wind for both of us and this is where my calls put us. The point of this is that while we might see a certain velocity improvement with the .264, if rifle accuracy and shooter accuracy are not on top of their game, any perceived advantage is lost.

If I were spending your money for low recoil, long range performance, I'd buy another 6.5-284. If I wanted more, I'd go to a 7x300 short mag or even a .300 WinMag.

Shell, I really, really want to thank you for that info.You've presented me with some facts that I was not aware of, and that's exactly what I was hoping to find here.You obviously are very experienced and knowledgeable, and sounds like you've travelled down many of the same roads that new shooters may be looking at.Yes, I was considering this for long range/tactical style shooting, and given the amount of shooting required for practice and matches sounds like it may not be a good choice.I am NOT willing to waste time and money on something totally unsuited for the purpose,So..I need to rethink the direction this is going.
I do appreciate the help!

Below is the 6.5-284 throat with 2,037 rounds, sectioned on my mill.

The bore is clean, although it doesn't look it. Difficult to make out in the pics, but the rifling at the origin is about 25% of it's former self. When seated full out, the bullet only touches the trailing edge and gets long skinny cuts, vs the square marks of good rifling. The fire-cracking goes up into the bore as far as I can reach with my 17" Hawkeye borescope.

BarrelSection01.jpg

BarrelSection04sc.jpg

Even with the naked eye the cracking is visible, and unless I'm wrong in the first pic I can see discoloration/ bluing?
Outstanding post my friend.....

What about the 6.5x55 for more push than the .260 but better barrel life than the others...lots of Lapua brass available.

The 6.5x55 is an excellent cartridge, and is likely overlooked by many due to the fact that factory ammo is loaded down in deference to the many old rifles that are chambered for it.

With judicious handloading in a modern firearm, it is a very good long range cartridge.

I like the .260, and I think I'd also like the 6.5x55. The key to these chamberings is using longer barrels, and letting the barrel length do the heavy lifting when it comes down to generating velocity. The .30-'06 and .260 have chamber volume to bore diameter ratios in the 900's, the 6.5x55 is in the 10's, and the 6.5-.284 is in the 12's.

The chart doesn't show the .264WM, but I'm thinking its probably somewhere around the 6.5-.284 or maybe a tad beyond.

Interestingly, the .50BMG is supposed to be simply a .30-'06 with all dimensions bigged up by 66%, but the '06 has a ratio in the 900's, and the 50BMG is just under 1500 (oddly enough that's also about 66% more than the '06).

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the .260, and I think I'd also like the 6.5x55.</div></div>Yup, me too. Both are great cases and, logically, easier on bores than the bigger 6.5s.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The key to these chamberings is using longer barrels, and letting the barrel length do the heavy lifting when it comes down to generating velocity.</div></div>Best case, yes, but anything over about 26-27" is very unwieldy if you have to go too far with it. Except the 6.5-300Wby, the velocities I discussed above are derived from 26" barrels - the .260 is a Broughton and the 6.5-284 is a Bartlein.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .30-'06 and .260 have chamber volume to bore diameter ratios in the 900's...</div></div>Too lazy to go through the calcs myself, but this (being the same, not the typo) just doesn't seem possible.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....The chart doesn't show the .264WM, but I'm thinking its probably somewhere around the 6.5-.284 or maybe a tad beyond.</div></div>The .264 has substantially greater case capacity than the 6.5-284, and uses 22% more powder (53 vs 65) in the same bore diameter. What's that burning smell...?

For .260/.30-'06 ratio comparison, see the chart in this thread. At 22%, more than a just tad...

Greg

Thanks Greg, I've seen that chart before, over at 6mmbr.com, IIRC.

At 915 for a .30-06 and 977 for the .260, that difference is more in line with what I would have expected, though I still would have though more of a difference.

TAG!

One of the best posts to date Shell, thank you. I bumped this since Im sure some would more than benefit from seeing it again.

I've had some limited opportunity to shoot and develop loads for a pair of .280 Rem I recently acquired. With better 7mm LR projectiles more available lately, its performance would appear to provide the same efficiency improvement for the '06 case that the .260 does for the .308 case. There is the additional advantage of it being a factory chambering with conventional handloading components and implements available.

While I can't report having found <span style="font-style: italic">the</span> LR loads just yet, the accuracy and flat trajectory both appear to be there for the lighter weight (120gr Nosler BT's) bullets. Energy retention, etc. leads me to consider the 120's (BT's and Partitions, depending on the game) for deer and smaller game out to well beyond 300yd.

I suspect that with 168gr and 175gr low drag projectiles, the .280 could be quite an effective package a mite far out beyond 1000yd.

Greg

Don't forget the 6.5 Remington magnum if you using a magnum face bolt (and reload). Case volumne is in the neighborhood of the 6.5x284 and 6.5-06 range.

Great post Ed! We may just have to chip in and buy Marc a new barrel....lol

Late

Jerry