• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

28" Barrel for 6.5x47 Anyone else go this way ?

pc3

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2008
Australia
I am thinking of putting a 28" barrel on my 6.5x47 build on a surgeon SA the other length I am considering is 25" or 26"

Have been informed with the right powders and a 28" tube I will obtain 2900 fps with the 140 gr pills. The rifle will be used to practice long range shooting with as well as shoot game from the ute. Just wondering if it will look a little weird with a 28" tube on a short action.

Re: 28" Barrel for 6.5x47 Anyone else go this way ?

I put a 28" Border Barrel chambered for the 6.5x47L on a Savage 10FP action. It doesn't look strange at all, especially with it's McMillan A3 stock. At my request, JR contoured this barrel with a straight taper from the breech to an .885" diameter at the 28" finish length. In my eyes it looks just about perfect. There are quite a few shooters around with short action rifles that have been fit with 28" barrels.

I haven't used any bullets heavier than the 123 Scenar - a hair under 3000 fps MV with a decently mild load of Re15, but I'd like to try the 130 Berger VLD this season. I save the 140gr. and heavier bullets for my 6.5-284, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't get fine performance with them out of the 6.5x47L.

I don't have a 6.5X47 but I have a 28" barrel on my 260. I don't think it looks strange.
DSCN2188.jpg

No that looks great I'm not worried at all now I want the performance it might offer !!

Thanks folks;

bullets I a interested in shooting are;

SMK 142's
Lapua 139's
Berger 140's and 130's

and for varminting and I would like to try some Nosler 120gr BT's

Cheers Paul.

+! for the 28" barrel on a 6.5 x 47 L, I have just started shooting mine and the two times I have been out the weather has been bad fro using the chronograph. I think it looks ok but I may be a little biased,

28" 1-8: Twist HV SS Brux
SA Stiller Predator Action
Harrrels muzzle brake

It looks like it will be real accurate and almost no copper fouling right from the start.