• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.280 AI ultra lite build

Muleman 50

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2018
Wanting to build a 280AI ultra lite and looking for opinions on action ,barrel, stock,trigger and twist . I will be shooting the Barnes 145 LRX bullets

Budget and purpose? I am going to assume no budget with hunting in mind.

Not a 280 guy, but for componets I’d look at a Titanium action or lighter weight stainless action, Manners EH1 Platinum / LRI’s newest carbon fiber stock, a light sendaro Proof barrel or something lighter that a Bartlien #3 contour if you want steel, and a <16 oz scope (Kahles, Swarovski, S&B, Zeiss, Vortex, etc.) mounted in Talley one peice mounts.

That should yeild a fairly light weight rifle that doesn’t really cut any corners in the accuracy department.

Of course you could always buy a Tikka T3 Lite and rock on. If you looked outside of the 280 towards the short action .473” bolt face family, The Fix from Q is extremely light weight with great potential. If 7mm is your kink, might could look at a 7mm-08 in that rifle. Under 6 pounds naked and (probably) more ergonomic than the build I just wrote out above.

Anyways, look at carbon fiber as much as you can. Have fun and post pictures when you’re done.

Reactions: Muleman 50
I run a .280 ai with one in a rem 700 with a christensen barrel and one in a m98 with a pac nor. I think use whatever action you like, and put a christensen on it. Then save weight in the stock and optic. The .280 ai seems to favor the 160 class bulllets in the 1/9 twist barrels at 26". Im getting roughly 3000fps with them.

Ultralight to me is a 6-6.5lbs sheep rifle which I assume is what your looking build if you want to shoot the 145 lrx.
I used a Borden action,McM edge stock and a #2 contour benchmark barrel @25”,that landed at 6.5 lbs bare including brake and scope rings

If you want to do ultralight you could always buy a Kimber Montana in 280AI. I think they make the Ascent or other model even lighter.

I am in the process of building one of these as well. My plan is to use a Tikka action that I already have, light sendaro Proof barrel, and a Manner's EH1 stock. I plan on using a non-adjustable stock to keep the weight down as much as possible.

This is a 20' .308 so not really a dedicated long range hunter but it's 7.9lb as pictured. You could go with a Hardy, Proof or no2 profile at 24', swap to tally rings and you would probably land around 8.5lb. Going with a lighter scope would also help lighten things up, the LRTSi is 28oz

02CB6C31-E1A5-4D69-8685-C9A19D108658.jpeg

This is a 20' .308 so not really a dedicated long range hunter but it's 7.9lb as pictured. You could go with a Hardy, Proof or no2 profile at 24', swap to tally rings and you would probably land around 8.5lb. Going with a lighter scope would also help lighten things up, the LRTSi is 28oz. Very nice set up, nothing wrong with .308 at all

View attachment 6936618

I’m doing the same thing on a TL action, McMillan A3 Sporter CF stock, proof barrel, aluminum BDL bottom metal and a Wyatt’s box. Going to be shooting the 145 Barnes as well, being in CA.

I’m doing the same thing on a TL action, McMillan A3 Sporter CF stock, proof barrel, aluminum BDL bottom metal and a Wyatt’s box. Going to be shooting the 145 Barnes as well, being in CA.
Thats me here in cullafornia, sounds like a great build . What is a TL action and proof barrel? Is Wyatts action from Medford?

Reactions: RonSwanson
Has anyone heard anything about Hell's Canyon Armory barrels? I stumbled across them recently and their process of carbon wrapping looks pretty slick. I am wondering how their barrels compare to Proof's.

Thats me here in cullafornia, sounds like a great build . What is a TL action and proof barrel? Is Wyatts action from Medford?
TL Technologies, it’s a budget custom action sold buy a guy on the Long Range Hunting forum. It’s basically a controled round feed version of a trued 700 action. I’ll be having a proof carbon fiber barrel chambered and installed, the wyatts box is an extended internal box magazine for seating longer bullets further out.

Has anyone heard anything about Hell's Canyon Armory barrels? I stumbled across them recently and their process of carbon wrapping looks pretty slick. I am wondering how their barrels compare to Proof's.
I haven’t heard much on HCA barrels, but Dallas Rifle is now offering Hardy prefits for the tikkas in 280ai, might be worth looking into.

I saw those. The price of the Hardy prefit is almost exactly the same as HCA charges to chamber on of their blanks and fit it to the action. I may give them a call next week and see what they can do for me.

TL Technologies, it’s a budget custom action sold buy a guy on the Long Range Hunting forum. It’s basically a controled round feed version of a trued 700 action. I’ll be having a proof carbon fiber barrel chambered and installed, the wyatts box is an extended internal box magazine for seating longer bullets further out.
You must be over on the coast if you are hunting pigs. I hunted them in Cloverdale some years ago

My dad did the load development, I know he's using 4831sc, 140gr Accubond, Hornady 280 AI brass.
I'll find out his charge and OAL and post it.

If you truly want ultralight, look at a Pierce Titanium action with their titanium bolt option. I'd put it into an MPI Ultralight mountain stock and either the lightest Brux fluted you can get in that caliber or Lilja. Many of the barrel guys won't do super thin profile barrels in stainless. Pierce has built me a couple of rifles and my 300RCM weighs in under 6 pounds with Swarovski 3x18x44 Z5 scope. That particular gun has a Brown's Pounder stock, but I have a 6.5SAUM with an ultralight MPI and I prefer it over the Brown's. For trigger, I run a Timney Calvin elite in the 300RCM and a Triggertech in the SAUM. I think I prefer the Triggertech over the Elite, but both are consistent and reliable.

If you truly want ultralight, look at a Pierce Titanium action with their titanium bolt option. I'd put it into an MPI Ultralight mountain stock and either the lightest Brux fluted you can get in that caliber or Lilja. Many of the barrel guys won't do super thin profile barrels in stainless. Pierce has built me a couple of rifles and my 300RCM weighs in under 6 pounds with Swarovski 3x18x44 Z5 scope. That particular gun has a Brown's Pounder stock, but I have a 6.5SAUM with an ultralight MPI and I prefer it over the Brown's. For trigger, I run a Timney Calvin elite in the 300RCM and a Triggertech in the SAUM. I think I prefer the Triggertech over the Elite, but both are consistent and reliable.
Wow nice build for sure #6 is awesome. This is what I'm looking to do and I have the Swarovski 3x18 as well. Any pics of your masterpiece?

Here are a couple pictures of the Pierce 300RCM.
Pierce 300RCM with Bull.jpg

Attachments

• 20171108_124432.jpg
    20171108_124432.jpg
    729.3 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: BAKPAKR