• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

Thanks, what kind of velocity are you getting w the N568?

Whether it's 300PRC or 6 Dasher...I like to push a big bullet 2925 to 2950....with N568 it takes more powder than with RL-26...but that's where I like to load to. so...that's where I run N568 with the 245EOL.

Off subject or thread but what bullet for the 7-300 prc you going to try to replace the 245 berger

I'll have to play with it at 1 mile paper. I'll test Berger 180hybrids, 190LRHTs, and the 195 grain EOL. People haven't had luck with the 195EOL because they aren't able to push them fast enough in a modern chamber. This 7-300PRC chambering should be able to get some pretty quick speeds and let the 195EOL do its thang. If I'm satisfied and really want to push it...I may try some solids as well.

I'll have to play with it at 1 mile paper. I'll test Berger 180hybrids, 190LRHTs, and the 195 grain EOL. People haven't had luck with the 195EOL because they aren't able to push them fast enough in a modern chamber. This 7-300PRC chambering should be able to get some pretty quick speeds and let the 195EOL do its thang. If I'm satisfied and really want to push it...I may try some solids as well.
Pva has a new 165 solid bc g7 400 I think. Don't be afraid to test the 197 smk that is impressive bullet.

Never saw any typical pressure signs but the headspace on my brass grows .010 with every firing. Velocity is 2965 fps. Headpsace checked with gauges on the rifle and it's good to go.
are you pushing your shoulders back .010" every time?

Last edited:
First firing on virgin brass I set them back .002 and no issues closing the bolt. 2nd firing I have to set them back .004 to close the bolt without any resistance.
that's strange, especially since it wasn't causing hard extraction. What kind of brass?

that's strange, especially since it wasn't causing hard extraction. What kind of brass?
I just deleted my original post with the load data. I was alerted on 2 threads at the same time, one for the 300 PRC and the other for the 300 Norma and I posted my Norma data in this one by mistake.

Reactions: Taylorbok
that's strange, especially since it wasn't causing hard extraction. What kind of brass
To answer your question it is Lapua brass. There is a picture of 3 of my cases under post #996 in the 300 Norma thread.

I just deleted my original post with the load data. I was alerted on 2 threads at the same time, one for the 300 PRC and the other for the 300 Norma and I posted my Norma data in this one by mistake.
Hahaha I was gonna say, that seemed like a shit ton of powder! I just asked Berger and they sent the following! One is for 220 LRHT and the other for the 245 EOLs in case anyone else runs these…
. image-Jul-13-2023-03-08-14-3530-PM.pngimage-Jul-13-2023-03-07-36-9102-PM.png

Is it normal for a 225gr eldm to jam into the lands at a COAL of 3.702” or does my barrel have a really short freebore? I made a thread in the reloading section a week ago but never got a response.

Is it normal for a 225gr eldm to jam into the lands at a COAL of 3.702” or does my barrel have a really short freebore? I made a thread in the reloading section a week ago but never got a response.
If you can’t gauge your chamber with that bullet, and assuming a factory round commercially available fits before the lands; just measure the OAL of it and copy. I’m traveling and can’t provide, but confident you can find or another member can.

Is it normal to see a shift of almost +50ft/s with h1000 from 60 degrees F to 80? Seems excessive to me….
I’m gonna guess yes possible. I live in south Florida and most places I go to north are usually cooler. To combat this, I am starting to enter the MV and Temp into the ballistic calculator where provided. Then it is able to compensate for the prediction?

30” Barrel, custom throat from PVA, that I’ve seated for and shot a least few hundred rounds through at this point, with the same 220 Berger LRHT bullet and same Lapua brass but with different powder. Charge weight was 75.6.

Bras had 5 previous firings and annealed and full length resized… I’m kind of at a loss for the cause. Like I said the other rounds at the same charge had no signs. The rounds up to and including 78.2 had no signs either….
You need dies cut from the PVA reamer and 75 should be gtg

You need dies cut from the PVA reamer and 75 should be gtg

I actually sorted my issue but thanks! Curious though to your die comment. My Redding does work just fine and I’ve developed a number of cartridges with them for this barrel. Since the chamber is only cut with a longer throat it only affects the seating depth I can seat bullets at…. At least that’s what I’ve been doing and assumed…. I bump my shoulder down by 1 thousandths and everything fits just fine too…. Anyway thanks!

Last edited:
Random question for the 300 prc thread but has anyone here tried running a 7/300 PRC? I know there are threads on this but was thinking of having one spin up when this barrel burns out. I’ll also have. 30 cal barrel as well but thought it’d be fun to try a 7mm as well.

Random question for the 300 prc thread but has anyone here tried running a 7/300 PRC? I know there are threads on this but was thinking of having one spin up when this barrel burns out. I’ll also have. 30 cal barrel as well but thought it’d be fun to try a 7mm as well.

I have a reamer coming that's still a few weeks out....I'm going to play with the 7-300PRC in one mile benchrest.

I have a reamer coming that's still a few weeks out....I'm going to play with the 7-300PRC in one mile benchrest.
Going to be very curious to see what your hit percentage turns out to be compared to your 300 PRC.

Going to be very curious to see what your hit percentage turns out to be compared to your 300 PRC.

yea...I'm very interested. If if shoots as well as what I have in my head...I'll convert over to that for most things inside of 2000yds....if it doesn't...well...it was just a barrel and a reamer I can sell.

Reactions: Gogga and nick338
My Berger 230 Hybrids finally all but ran out (I have about 50 left), so I swapped over to Berger 230 OTMs and went out to the range yesterday to play with seating depth. It's amazing what difference .003" makes (lower left right is .015" off, 5 shots, other 2 are .018" 3 shots each)

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Last edited:
My Berger 230 Hybrids finally all but ran out (I have about 50 left), so I swapped over to Berger 230 OTMs and went out to the range yesterday to play with seating depth. It's amazing what difference .003" makes (lower left is .015" off, 5 shots, other 2 are .018" 3 shots each)

GetAttachmentThumbnail
What are you doing?! 220s are available and amazing! :).

Question for the masses…. What in the hell is +P? I’ve seen a few references to it around and from what I gathered it SEEMs that it’s nothing more than a longer throat to allow for longer seating depth and thus more jump to the lands and thus more pressure wo spiking pressures….. am I wrong here?

Question for the masses…. What in the hell is +P? I’ve seen a few references to it around and from what I gathered it SEEMs that it’s nothing more than a longer throat to allow for longer seating depth and thus more jump to the lands and thus more pressure wo spiking pressures….. am I wrong here?

My understanding is that the throat doesn't really get impacted, but rather it's more about easing the bullet into the lands so you don't get as abrupt of an impact on initial contact. I believe it has a somewhat similar effect to a gain twist barrel.

EDIT: And the "+P" is a bit of a misnomer, unless the "P" stands for powder. Max chamber pressure is still max chamber pressure, but if you can put more powder in a case before reaching max, and you have a long enough barrel, that extra powder means more burn and thus maintaining higher pressure throughout the journey of the bullet down the barrel. Again, as I currently understand it - I may be wrong.

Reactions: category_theory

P.S. You in for the 3rd? :)

P.S. You in for the 3rd? :)

Haha I think so. But still need to see if we are going anywhere. Jen got Covid this week and not sure how our plans are getting pushed around as a result. It’s also the first week of school here so I’m kind F ed logistically atm :). Let me see how she feels this weekend and I’ll ping!

Also so it’s literally a beveled lands… interesting. The lack of documentation on it and “proprietary” BS seems kinda silly then.

Also so it’s literally a beveled lands… interesting. The lack of documentation on it and “proprietary” BS seems kinda silly then.

Hard to say exactly what they do with their "patented" process, but that's likely it. Not to discount it at all... it makes sense and is the same basic philosophy behind gain twist.

Defensive edge does it and unknown muntions. But that's how I understand it change the geometry of the lands in the throat to decrease pressure. It looks tempting but if it was such a good deal I would think it would be more wide spread but not sure about that I think they charge $150 or so to do.

Defensive edge does it and unknown muntions. But that's how I understand it change the geometry of the lands in the throat to decrease pressure. It looks tempting but if it was such a good deal I would think it would be more wide spread but not sure about that I think they charge $150 or so to do.
go to LRH and see how different they think

Many of you, especially the early adopters, have an issue of 'clickers'....or sticky bolt after 5 or more firings on brass. This can be caused by a swelling near the '200 line' on the brass.... 0.200" up from the case head. Our dies aren't sizing all the way down there. Several fixes have been done to modify this including chambering work.

However, I'd like talk about a better way. Recently I purchased a 6 BR mandrel die from Cortina Precision. Here: 6BR mandrel die body

The mandrel die body sizes that final 200 line down to the shell holder as it mandrels your case mouths to the diameter you want. I reached out and asked if the 6.5PRC die body was long enough to do 300PRC. The answer is no. However, there are plans to soon make available the 300PRC die body that is long enough to accomplish the task I'd like.

So, if any of you guys are interested in this mandrel die body that also sizes that 200 line and can eliminate some of your issues with sticky bolt....send them a message and let them know that we are serious about this and maybe it will jump us up the production queue ahead of other planned cartridges.

I hope this helps atleast one of you guys solve an issue that has frustrated you.

Thanks,

B2

Many of you, especially the early adopters, have an issue of 'clickers'....or sticky bolt after 5 or more firings on brass. This can be caused by a swelling near the '200 line' on the brass.... 0.200" up from the case head. Our dies aren't sizing all the way down there. Several fixes have been done to modify this including chambering work.

However, I'd like talk about a better way. Recently I purchased a 6 BR mandrel die from Cortina Precision. Here: 6BR mandrel die body

The mandrel die body sizes that final 200 line down to the shell holder as it mandrels your case mouths to the diameter you want. I reached out and asked if the 6.5PRC die body was long enough to do 300PRC. The answer is no. However, there are plans to soon make available the 300PRC die body that is long enough to accomplish the task I'd like.

So, if any of you guys are interested in this mandrel die body that also sizes that 200 line and can eliminate some of your issues with sticky bolt....send them a message and let them know that we are serious about this and maybe it will jump us up the production queue ahead of other planned cartridges.

I hope this helps atleast one of you guys solve an issue that has frustrated you.

Thanks,

B2

So the reason that folks are getting clicking is because dies aren’t really full length resizing?

So the reason that folks are getting clicking is because dies aren’t really full length resizing?

Most dies don't properly size all the way down...I mean you would think they do since you are contacting the shell plate...but they aren't. Small base dies take care of this issue...mostly. I'm not giving up my LE Wilson bushing dies...and I mandrel anyway...so why not get a mandrel die body that kisses the ass of my brass and makes it all nice at the 200 line?

I was actually amazed at how much was sized on my 6 Dasher brass using this die.

Reactions: Earnhardt
Most dies don't properly size all the way down...I mean you would think they do since you are contacting the shell plate...but they aren't. Small base dies take care of this issue...mostly. I'm not giving up my LE Wilson bushing dies...and I mandrel anyway...so why not get a mandrel die body that kisses the ass of my brass and makes it all nice at the 200 line?

I was actually amazed at how much was sized on my 6 Dasher brass using this die.

Gotcha….. I mean I had some issues but moved over to Redding S Match dies and they seem to work great…. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: TripleBull
anyone every try these or the 230s?

I have a 1:9tw so I can’t use the 230s but had a few of these guys… was curious if anyone had any luck w them. Thanks!

I have a 1:9tw so I can’t use the 230s but had a few of these guys… was curious if anyone had any luck w them. Thanks!

I've had great performance from the 230 gr A-Tips in a 1:9. Berger recommends minimum 1:9 for the 245:

_MG_0684ed.jpg

230's should work with a 1:9. A 230 A-tip at 2700 in a 1:9 is ~1.45 Gyro SG at the muzzle.

Sorry meant the 230 SMKs. :). I know the bergers shoot. :)
I think Frank Green ran the smk's in a 9tw. I'd reach out to him and ask if that was his twist rate. If you search it would be somewhere in the beginning of this thread.

30” Barrel, custom throat from PVA, that I’ve seated for and shot a least few hundred rounds through at this point, with the same 220 Berger LRHT bullet and same Lapua brass but with different powder. Charge weight was 75.6.

Bras had 5 previous firings and annealed and full length resized… I’m kind of at a loss for the cause. Like I said the other rounds at the same charge had no signs. The rounds up to and including 78.2 had no signs either….

Donut inside the neck

I’m about to pull the trigger on a new MPA Matrix Pro build, primarily for ELR, but it will see the occasional “sniper style” match. With this in mind, I keep flip flopping on barrel length, twist, and contour. Currently looking at 27-30” and a 1:9 or 1:8 (leaning toward 28”/1:9), with the MPA Match or MTU contour.
I have a bunch of factory Hornady 212eldx and 225eldm ammo I picked up a while back but have also been acquiring 230 and 250 A tips as I find them locally and will likely look for some 220/245 LRHT for future load development. RL26 is my powder choice as I can find it in Alaska with N565/568/H1000 and factory loads as a backup.

Having said all that, anyone care to help steer me toward a barrel length and twist that would best fit my needs/situation?
For my rifle I went with a Bartlein 29 in MTU barrel in a manners T4A stock. I also added the APA brake. When I shoot it I have minimal recoil. My son's Bergara In 6.5 Creed has more recoil. However, the rifle is heavy at 19 lbs. I attribute the weight to that barrel. I probably could have got away with using a 28 in barrel length instead.

Hi Guys
I had 2 range trips and did some tests to confirm the results,
100 rounds through the barrel before tests, cleaned and borescoped with no copper and carbon fouling present.
-Bartlein 1:9 28” HV
-300 Prc Aw2 chamber
-1x fired Lapua brass
-225 ELD-M
- Hodgdon Retumbo
-10thou off the lands

Powder charge test from your 74.5 to 80.2
Confirmed the node twice at 78.4-78.7 @ 2850-2858fps, I could go to the higher node which is very close to the highest recommended charge in hornady book @ 78.9 grs.

Velocity on 79.0-79.3 @ 2888-2878 but I found it unnecessary to go that high.

I removed a few coils from ejector spring since it was putting marks on the virgin or once fired dummy rounds, it looked better.

-why I am getting ejector mark at the lightest load all the way up to the highest load but the thing is it looks like the higher I go the signs are getting smaller.
- there is zero primer cratering
Bolt got a tiny bit stiff on 76 grs @ 2755fps but the feeling was going loose and tight towards the higher powder charge.
I think I am not to worried about the ejector marks since I know it was marking the heads before even firing.

—- does the bolt lift goes away after seating the bullet deeper?

Thanks

Have a question for the gallery. I’m wanting to build a full custom 300 PRC here. I have a semi custom rig at the moment and figured the new build I’d go full custom.

The questions I have are:
1. What action are folks running?
2. I want to get an action with the ability to maybe go up to 375CT down the road or 300 Norma. What actions available have swappable bolt faces for the 338 L bolt face?

Thanks y’all!

Have a question for the gallery. I’m wanting to build a full custom 300 PRC here. I have a semi custom rig at the moment and figured the new build I’d go full custom.

2. I want to get an action with the ability to maybe go up to 375CT down the road or 300 Norma. What actions available have swappable bolt faces for the 338 L bolt face?

Thanks y’all!
I am using a Defiance action with a diamond trigger . Also I have a bartlein MTU barrel 1/9 29in with an APA fat bastard and a Manners Team 4A custom painted stock

Last edited:

Thanks y’all!
Bat action!! Bat hr or igniter