• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing 300 WM barrel lenght ?

szk

Private
Minuteman
Hello everyones,

I've just send my rifle to the gunsmith to re barrel it.

I've bought a trueflight eavy palma 34" blanck barrel.
the twist rate I've choosen is 1/10.

my question is as long as there is 34" to decide on, what lenght should I say to the gunsmith for a perfect built for long range over 1200 yards ?

I've told the gunsmith 28" but I'm afraid to cut the blanc barrel to short as long as there is 34" to do with.

I'm looking for a good long range and tactical/practical compromise.

thanks in advance for your responses,
best regards,

Tristan

(sorry for my bad english, this is not my mother tong)

Re: 300 WM barrel lenght ?

you will lose 3" anyway the plumber plumbs the barrel......keep it as long as you dare to allow set-back.......it may start out nose heavy....but so what !

Mine had 26" barrels and shot out to 1650 yards with it. I wouldn't go over 28".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hider's snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for a good long range and tactical/practical compromise.</div></div>

25-26 inchs will be it, if tactical/practical is the goal. Running threw the bush/woods with a long barrel sucks, ask anyone that ever did a M14 w/a Sonics attached.

My 300 is 26", 11.27 twist, w/a Holland break.

what all are you going to be using the rifle for? are you going to be moving around with it much or just from the truck to the range? if you are going to be carrying it much or far, i'd stick with a 26" barrel. if you are going to be using it mainly for 1k+ shooting, and don't need to hike a miles to get to your spot a 30" would be nice.

i have a 26", 10 twist 300 win mag now and it works fine for most everything. the rifle is about to be dedicated to beyond 1000 yard use and i am thinking about rebarreling it with a 30".

thans you very much to all of you,
you've really identified my dilema.
as long as I want a sniper rifle in final I d'ont want to loose the oportunity to have a long barrel (I think I'll be able to cut it back later if it is to long in the contrary I won't be able to weld a few inches more after).

I've got a wonderfull tactical muzzle break from FMR France and a BR-TUOTE T8M silencer that will be making a longer more so I'll stay on 28" perhaps.

continue giving me advices, I have 5 or 6 days in front of me to tell the gunsmith the final cuting when he will tell me how long it stays on the blank barrel after placing the chamber.

thaks again everyones
bye
Tristan

Have you discussed this with your gunsmith? Usually people who build these type of weapons know their stuff, and as such would have some valuable advice/thoughts on the matter. Just my 2 cents.

Hi,
I live in New Caledonia and my smith is in New Zealand,
I've sent my rifle there and I've told Him 28". in the minwhile I was still wondering not to do a mistake because I won't send it bac to cut it a bit more you know. I have 3 or 4 days befor he will cut the muzzle end at my size.

I've readen quite few other post on this topics but always the same dilema :
- I wan't the better one for long range max velocity (longer=better until 30"),
- the coolest one for a counter sniper style (longer=better also)

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">but</span></span> with 28" and a silencer/suppresssor I'm still wondering about the total over all of the beast then!?!

the branch trouble I can live with it, I usually transport the rifle liying horizontal on my shoulder with my hand on the barrel in equilibrium. long barrel give a good compfortable balance even when it is heavy you don't have to secure mith the hand. but it is sometimes heavy still
blush.gif

the queston is in fact now for me : what is to short and what is to long ? I'll make a decision in between...
crazy.gif

many thanks again

The only thing keeping me from going from a 26" to a 30" is the lack of space in my rifle case.

My M700 300WM in AICS barely fits as it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you discussed this with your gunsmith? Usually people who build these type of weapons know their stuff, and as such would have some valuable advice/thoughts on the matter. Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

I John,
as long as my GunSmith is a very good Gunsmith, ("he has gold in his fingers") he only make what you tell him to do. I think he doesn't want me to be disapointed if I follow any of his advices. I hope you understand what I say. Sometimes in gunsmithing the result is odd even if you put all together the best materials and dimensions, and ecxess is sometimes counter productive.

he was a very good help in choosing the type of barrel brand and contour, but about the cutting length it's up to me.

it's up to the one that gonna carry it also :eek:)

2-3 days left to make a decision on cutting length, I think I'll stay on the 28".

merci beaucoup for your advices
Tristan

ok everyones,
so it'll be a 28", I'll be glad to put a foto on the forum when I get it home from NZ at the end of august...

learning the waiting during this time,

bye bye

Tristan
smile.gif

Re: 300 WM barrel length ?

im doing 30 inches on my 300 bull barrel. sucker weighs a ton but im 6'4" and needed a little extra weight on my rifle.