• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 AR10 Build Info/Picture Thread

I am going to need a LR308 upper clam shell to put in a vice and put the barrel on? A regular AR15 size one wont work correct?
This is what you want. Works for AR15 and AR10.

Anxiously awaiting the start of my first ar10/308 build.

Following this thread for more pics 👍

I use a reaction rod as the industry calls it.
I made my own.
It's 17" long 1.180" in dia or 30 mm with a vise flat milled, and diameter turned down and milled to fit the barrel extension.
The upper reciever slides over the rod and locks into the barrel extension.
Or for indexing to get at handguard screws, etc.
An excellent tool for working on ARs use the 1" dia steel for the AR 15.
I do all the work on the Bridgeport milling table, as seen here.

Attachments

• 20240425_103006.jpg
    20240425_103006.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240425_103051.jpg
    20240425_103051.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: jLorenzo
I use a reaction rod as the industry calls it.
I made my own.
It's 17" long 1.180" in dia or 30 mm with a vise flat milled, and diameter turned down and milled to fit the barrel extension.
The upper reciever slides over the rod and locks into the barrel extension.
Or for indexing to get at handguard screws, etc.
An excellent tool for working on ARs use the 1" dia steel for the AR 15.
I do all the work on the Bridgeport milling table, as seen here.
What's he supposed to do with that information? You think he's going to make his own? Clearly he's looking for something to buy. Your post informs nothing, just another weird science project out a 45-90s garage where everything is a boast.

I will probably grab that. Whats the best if any DIY option for the moment?
I have the Wheeler AR15 one.
You can get this from Squirrel Daddy gunsmith tools for around $26 including shipping. They can be modified to also work with an AR-15 with some basic machine work.

SD20-173-2T.jpg

ETA: If you're going to use this type of product, sandwich the upper in the vise. Do not position the upper vertically with vise only clamping the fixture, which will put all the stress on the pivot/takedown lugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shoreglide
What's he supposed to do with that information? You think he's going to make his own? Clearly he's looking for something to buy. Your post informs nothing, just another weird science project out a 45-90s garage where everything is a boast.
Midwest Industries and Geissele sell versions. The rod needs a vertical flag to prevent the receiver from twisting against the barrel extension pin.

Reactions: jLorenzo
You can buy one...or build one.
He, or anyone else may choose to build one, if someone shows him what to do, & how it works, or... some people have relatives and friends to help them out, who have access to the needed tools.
I do lots of projects for friends, and relatives, free of charge, most are hobbies like off road vehicles or motorcycles.
I spend many hours helping on their projects.
Some people like to learn and enjoy building it themselves, or with the help of others, learn to overcome obstacles. And gain more experience and knowledge as the work on their hobbies or other endeavors. So one never knows where others will take what they learn...maybe start a business, be a world class shooter.

It's how we learn and grow as a species is sharing ideas and information.
No such thing as too much information on any subject, a starting builder, may become your next Hornady Manufacturing Company.

Midwest Industries and Geissele sell versions. The rod needs a vertical flag to prevent the receiver from twisting against the barrel extension pin.
Ya, If I was in the market for an assembly tool I would buy a reaction rod. I think it is the better way to go.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but do you have a link for the Geissele AR-10/308 RR with a vertical flag/fin? As far as I know, they only offer the Super Reaction Rod for AR-15s, which uses anti-rotation lugs that lock into the ejection port.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but do you have a link for the Geissele AR-10/308 RR with a vertical flag/fin? As far as I know, they only offer the Super Reaction Rod for AR-15s, which uses anti-rotation lugs that lock into the ejection port.
No. Geissele and MI sell versions of 45-70's rod. MI is the only one of the two with the vertical flag.

The JP vise blocks are vastly superior to any reaction rod.

IMO anything that uses the holes in the receiver lugs is garbage.

The JP vise blocks are vastly superior to any reaction rod.

IMO anything that uses the holes in the receiver lugs is garbage.
I disagree on that. Superior to a clam shell for sure, but not a MI Reaction rod. The Midwest Rod with the sail on top locks the upper alignment with the extension lugs. This prevents any possible shear on the extension pin when torquing the barrel nut. Also very handy when mounting & leveling a scope.

1714078208883.jpeg

I disagree on that. Superior to a clam shell for sure, but not a MI Reaction rod. The Midwest Rod with the sail on top locks the upper alignment with the extension lugs. This prevents any possible shear on the extension pin when torquing the barrel nut. Also very handy when mounting & leveling a scope.

View attachment 8404772
JP vise blocks provide the same support and work for both platforms. I like the MI rod, the JP blocks are better if you have an AR15 and AR10.

I mean according to JP, they build their rifles in house with these blocks.

Whether you clamp to the receiver or the barrel extension, if you don't secure the two together you will subject the barrel extension pin and receiver slot to twisting force. You can rip out pin and/or deform the receiver slot.

Whether you clamp to the receiver or the barrel extension, if you don't secure the two together you will subject the barrel extension pin and receiver slot to twisting force. You can rip out pin and/or deform the receiver slot.
I see what you’re saying. But I think usually the extension pin is only in danger when people torque their muzzle devices on too much.

I see what you’re saying. But I think usually the extension pin is only in danger when people torque their muzzle devices on too much.
The pin is usually in danger when the pin wasn't installed correctly by the barrel manufacturer. You normally find that out when you're torquing the barrel nut while clamping or pinning the receiver. Mostly the receiver slot just deforms.

Reactions: bf2junky
Anybody have pics of groups shot out of a Craddock precision barrel? Looking at one made out of Rock Creek blank.

I feel like this is exactly how you would expect to see a bipod mounted on an exclusive, super expensive, military only sniper rifle in the hands of a civilian collector

I feel like this is exactly how you would expect to see a bipod mounted on an exclusive, super expensive, military only sniper rifle in the hands of a civilian collector
If there is something wrong with the bipod please let me know. This is how i got it directly from HK. I am no collector at all, the rifle will be shot until it falls apart😉

You cant move it further forward, asked HK and they told me they did that due to impact shifts during testing.

Daniel

Sick. How does it shoot?
Will be testing her in about 2 weeks i guess. Waiting for ammunition. Will post a few pics, V0 and targets to let you guys know.

I am a bolt action guy so this is going to be interesting. First impression: very well made, cheek riser fits perfectly concerning height. If i raise my head slightly i have a perfect view through the T1. Perfectly centered behind the optic, was a bit concerned since i prefer the edgy TRG cheek rest.

The PMII is out of this world as expected.

Weight is heavy even for me although im used to TRGs and AIs.

HK will burn in hell though for the trigger installed. Will need lots of dry fire to get used to that. And i am used to 1-2kg triggers.

So far...

If there is something wrong with the bipod please let me know. This is how i got it directly from HK. I am no collector at all, the rifle will be shot until it falls apart😉

You cant move it further forward, asked HK and they told me they did that due to impact shifts during testing.

Daniel
Wow. What did that run you?