• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.308 loads

Rob.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2012
Hiders,

I am looking for some load combination information for .308 loads.

I have been using:
Hornady 30501 = 168Gr match rounds
41.5 Gr of Varget
FC head-stamped Win brass (form fired)
Win WLR primers

I am loading the rounds at 2.85 OAL because that is the longest round that will work in the magizine.

I have loaded longer rounds that were .01 off the lands but they can't be used in the factory Remington Mag. I didn't notice any increase in accuracy with the longer rounds so I just went back to the 2.85 OAL

Stick is a Remington 5R, with 24in Barrel with 11.25 twist. The action has been bedded and so has the rail.

Optic is Leupold 8 X 25 X 50 Mark 4. Leupold Mark 4 Rings and 20 MOA base. She tracks perfectly.

I have had good sucess with this combination, I have put 3 rounds in one ragged hole at 200 yards when shooting from the prone and using a harris bi-pod.

In an effort to continue to improve accuracy at longer distances I was hoping to see what my fellow hiders have had success with. I was hoping to build some new rounds this weekend.

Thanks guys,
Rob

Re: .308 loads

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have put 3 rounds in one ragged hole at 200 yards when shooting from the prone and using a harris bi-pod.</div></div>

That's going to be hard to beat! If you keep it inside of ~500, I wouldn't change a thing.

You said your brass is FC headstamped Win brass. I assume that's 'Federal' brand .308 win. If that's Federal brass, you're probably at low/moderate velocity. If it's Winchester brass, I'd say you're a bit lower than that. Have you shot these over a chrony? If you could get velocity up in the ~2,700 range and maintain good groups, that would be helpful at longer distances.

Good shooting.

MTNCREEK,

I don't have a chrony but I will look into finding one. I bought 500 pieces of the brass. Based on the condition of the brass when I got it, I assume it was once fired military brass.

The cases are much heavier than the Win brass I bought in the past. I thought this extra thickness would add to more consistant load pressures and hopefully more accuracy at longer ranges.

I will push out to 300 on Sunday if the weather is good to see what I can shoot with the current load. It was interesting to note that I zeroed the stick with a 100yd zero but from 100 to 200 yards I had to dial it up .8 mil and right .2 mil

I then went back to 100 and dailed it back to the zero and punched out the center with ease. I have done this several times and she tracks great. I am pleased with the consistency of the complete system. I am working my way out to longer distances 100 yrds at a time. I figured this would be a great training regiment for me.

I have read some date on guys using heavier rounds on longer distances with additional powder of course.

I greatly appreciate your input and help.

V/r
Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on the condition of the brass when I got it, I assume it was once fired military brass.</div></div>

If it's mil brass, it probably won’t list cartridge. It sounds like Federal brass. It's good brass, but like you said, it's thicker than most com brass and seems a bit softer too. Because it's thicker, it has less capacity and requires less powder to get the same pressure as Winchester brass. It does not like being loaded hot either. Even if this is Federal brass (or mil brass that has similar capacity), you're probably still on the lower end of velocity. That's not a problem as long as it shoots good. Higher velocity will help if you stretch out further in range, but you should be fine where you’re at shooting 500+ with your current load, assuming velocity is consistent. That's another area where a chrony comes in handy. As you stretch out further, if you see vertical strings in your groups, that's likely due to inconsistent velocity.

For comparison, I'm shooting ~44gr Varget in LC brass, 178 amax at ~2700 in a 26" barrel. It’s pretty hot, but no signs of over pressure other than the primers look a little squished.
smile.gif

MTNCREEK,

Thanks again for you help and input. One question for you, why the 178 AMAX over the 168 30501's?

I have seen a lot of guys praise the AMAX but I haven't used them yet.

thanks again,
Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One question for you, why the 178 AMAX over the 168 </div></div> 168 suck big time past 7-800 yds! Inside of that they are pretty good but the 178 bucks the wind better at any distance.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I appreciate it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks again for you help and input. One question for you, why the 178 AMAX over the 168 30501's?</div></div>

Go to handloads . com and play with their calculator. Just using velocities from your data with different bullets and the bc of that bullet (not exact, but Midwayusa lists bc of bullets), will give some feeling for how bc effects trajectory at longer ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MTNCREEK,

Thanks again for you help and input. One question for you, why the 178 AMAX over the 168 30501's?

I have seen a lot of guys praise the AMAX but I haven't used them yet.

thanks again,
Rob </div></div>

For the 5-R Milspec specifically (as well as the M-24), the twist rate has been optimized for the 175 gr bullet at M-118 ammo speeds.

I find that my 5-R really shines with a 175-178 gr bullet loaded to fly at 2550 fps. What I like most about the A-Max is the uniformity of the bullet weight, diameter, and length. When I load 100 rounds I find that the OAL varies less than .002" and measuring with a comparator shows the variance to be that or less. I don't have to trim meplats or re-point either, unlike with the other popular BTHP's or "OTM's" sold by others.

Thanks MTNCREEK AND DEADSHOT2. I will certainly try both of your suggestions.

I have had very good consistancy with the OAL on the 30501's but I will certainly try the AMAX as well.

thanks again,
Rob