• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6-284 with 95 gr bullets

oldnmkid

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2013
Rio Rancho, Nm
Have been trying for quite a while to get my 6-284 to shoot 105-107 gr. bullets. No luck with countless combos. Rifle is 1:8 so a friend suggested I try some 95 gr. bullets before I take the barrel off. Berger twist calculator says I would be just fine. So, if you have a starter load suggestion I would appreciate it.

With a 1-8" twist you should be quite able to stabilize and get good groups from the bullets you state. Any keyholing in the bullet holes?

One thing I know is when you get data for the 6-.284 it's below what the cartridge will really do. Way below. A website I use max's me out at 48 gr. I'm really at minimum decent operating pressure at 51 gr. I have plenty of room to go up from there, but per the website, I'm over their max. It's a liability thing. So, you've got to decide if you want to take that wildcat up higher. Keep an eye on ANY pressure sign along the way.

That said, I don't think it's your barrel twist. You might have way too low pressure in the load or who ever put your barrel on didn't get something right. What are your primers looking like. Any issues with the case head not sliding back into the shellholder? The .284" cases are known for that.

FWIW, my load is 51 gr. of RE-19 (you need a slow powder) behind a 100 gr. bullet. The shape of Berger and new Sierra 95 gr. bullets dictate a tighter twist than what I have, 1-10".

No bullet keyholing at all. Primers are all fine. I have loaded it up until I got hard extraction so, I know I have plenty of room over, "max". I checked the Berger twist calculator and it says I'm OK with the 95 gr bullets with my 8 twist. Well, lots of company in the house until Monday. Have to wait until Tuesday.