• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor gas gun to get

Tonsofguns

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2017
Northern Va
Been out of the game for a bit now but I need to find a reliable and accurate 6.5 gas gun.

I’m usually an lmt fanboy and it’ll probably be my choice but seeing what the others with experience think.

Another option was the scar 20 s in 6.5 but I’m hearing reports of popped primers, and when that’s fixed it’s misfeed issues (Mac and other forums)

Jp is always an option too.

First and foremost I want reliability and then accuracy

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reactions: r3wst3r and Jsp556
For the money Seekins SP10. SP10M was reliable enough to win a Mil contract and accuracy is as good as it gets.
My LMT is not as accurate as my SP10 FWIW

I'd look at Seekins Precision or GA Precision depending on your budget.

I’ll def consider the seekins.

What type of accuracy are you getting on your lmt versus seekins? What types of barrels are they?

I’ve had bad experience with a ga precision 308 a few years back with regards to reliability, so it’s kind of soured my experience with those.

Seekins is superior to the LMT in pretty much every way. Not to mention LMT’s QC has gone to shit. I have multiple LMT’s and like them (MWS’s never stuck around and I had several of them) but I won’t be buying another. There’s just better shit out there at this point.

LMT or Seekins. Both are good systems. I have both and if I had to choose one over the other, I’d choose the LMT.

I’ll def consider the seekins.

What type of accuracy are you getting on your lmt versus seekins? What types of barrels are they?

I’ve had bad experience with a ga precision 308 a few years back with regards to reliability, so it’s kind of soured my experience with those.
1”ish maybe slightly better for LMT in my experience. Better than 1/2” for Seekins.
Interestingly, was repeatedly hitting IPSC steel at 1250yds with Selliot&Bellot cheap 140gr ammo and my SP10. Impressive. Even had 7-10mph 90degree wind.
I have multiple LMT rifles and have not had the QC issues others talk about. My experiences have been all positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsp556
I passed on the Seekins due to the set screw adjustable gas block that comes on their rifles and went with a LMT instead. Seekins will be more accurate than the LMT as others have noted.

+1 on the SP10, I don't know of another option out there that can beat it for the money. Be sure to get a newer version with the extended gas system, the earlier ones were standard length. This also allows the gas block to be mounted further out towards the rail's end and easier to get to. They had a lever adjust block that was slick but I don't see it listed on the site anymore, I'd call to see.

JP w/ LRI20 upper. It will run any type of ammo I push through it.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2023-10-20 18:38:19.754213.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-10-20 18:38:19.754213.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: tanders11
I passed on the Seekins due to the set screw adjustable gas block that comes on their rifles and went with a LMT instead. Seekins will be more accurate than the LMT as others have noted.

That’s easily changed if it’s an issue for you. The LMT however is not. LMT’s proprietary gas system is my biggest complaint about them. It’s fine for unsuppressed shooting but as soon as you attach a suppressor it’s just super over gassed even with a low blow back can and no charging handle or anything else resolves that on the MWS platform. The only option is to have a barrel converted or made and adjustable gas block added to that.

There’s benefits to the MWS, but the gas block certainly isn’t it, it’s the biggest drawback.

Reactions: IdahoRenegade
Knights is solid. Geissele mrgg has a longer lasting barrel though

Knights is solid. Geissele mrgg has a longer lasting barrel though
Yeah, but for 15000.00, I wouldn't label the KAC a prudent option. Besides, a KAC will never be as precise as something like a JP, GAP or Seekins. And yeah, I say that as a tremendous KAC fan boi.

OP - if JP is an option, JP is the solution.

Reactions: drewthebrave
Yeah, but for 15000.00, I wouldn't label the KAC a prudent option. Besides, a KAC will never be as precise as something like a JP, GAP or Seekins. And yeah, I say that as a tremendous KAC fan boi.

My 6.5 sr25 is stupid accurate. It’s quickly became my favorite rifle I own.

Reactions: FALex
My 6.5 sr25 is stupid accurate. It’s quickly became my favorite rifle I own.
Well, my friend, I’m glad you own one and that it performs well for you. As I stated, I’m a huge fan of KAC’s hardware, but the market’s value on the SR-25’s, specifically those chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, just makes it impossible for me to justify and recommend to others.

Are you loading for your’s or running factory ammo, and what kind of results are you seeing?

I got the LMT 15.3 together with a new MARS-H lower, Geissele National Match trigger, Geissele SCH, JP SCS, LMT bolt carrier group, 4-16 scope, Superlative AGB, and a Proof Carbon 6.5CM barrel converted by D. Wilson. Went out shooting yesterday for the first time with it. I would guess a real gas gun shooter could probably do better, I am gradually making some progress on consistency with my semiauto shooting.

I like it!

tempImage49CC4u.jpg

tempImagea9TeTb.jpg

100 yards

tempImage5ULRvZ.jpg

300 yards

tempImage60Ux6C.jpg

600 yards

Reactions: Rockworx
Well, my friend, I’m glad you own one and that it performs well for you. As I stated, I’m a huge fan of KAC’s hardware, but the market’s value on the SR-25’s, specifically those chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, just makes it impossible for me to justify and recommend to others.

Are you loading for your’s or running factory ammo, and what kind of results are you seeing?
I haven’t been able to load for it yet here’s a good example though 4 factory loads 4 5 shot groups.
IMG_8940.jpeg

IMG_8943.jpeg
IMG_8942.jpeg
IMG_8941.jpeg

What is the difference between LRP and LRI?

The LRI-20 has a semi Monolithic upper receiver to handguard interface, il increases accuracy and rigidity. It has a integral nut design instead of the exterior barrel nut threads that a traditional upper would.

I built mine with the LRI-20 builders kit and CLE 24" Custom Bartlein Barrel. Average 5 Shot groups are .3 - .5 MOA

FB_IMG_1696777882629.jpg
FB_IMG_1696777888892.jpg
FB_IMG_1696777893755.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be finishing it's Mini-me Small Frame build with a 20" Bartlein .223

Last edited:
Reactions: ToKeepAndBear
I haven’t been able to load for it yet here’s a good example though 4 factory loads 4 5 shot groups.
View attachment 8266960
View attachment 8266961View attachment 8266962View attachment 8266963
Nice! Can’t argue with those results. @bigjake83 and I have had unexpectedly good results from that Winchester USA Ready 6.5CM ammo.

I know from experience that Hornady’s American Gunner 140gr BTHP also shoot very well through bolts and gassers. Their BTHP just doesn’t have the BC that their ELD’s have, but if they’re all I had, I wouldn’t be upset.

Nice! Can’t argue with those results. @bigjake83 and I have had unexpectedly good results from that Winchester USA Ready 6.5CM ammo.

I know from experience that Hornady’s American Gunner 140gr BTHP also shoot very well through bolts and gassers. Their BTHP just doesn’t have the BC that their ELD’s have, but if they’re all I had, I wouldn’t be upset.
I was shocked by the Winchester stuff. I may buy some for bulk.

Say hello to my little friend...

JP SCR11/SCI20.

JP LMOS BCG with Young Chrome HMB Bolt.

JP SCS.

JP .875 Adjustable Gas Block.

CLE Bartlein 20" .223 / 1-7.7 Twist / CLE Match Chmber / Rifle gas / 5/8x24 Treads / White Oak Competition Barrel Extension.

Triggertech Diamond Single Stage.

American Precision Arms Adjustable Muzzle Brake.

MagPul PRS Lite

20231108_150350.jpg
20231108_150318.jpg
20231108_151709.jpg
20231108_151809.jpg
20231108_151904.jpg
20231108_151950.jpg
20231108_152229.jpg

They will not be $15,000. Complete rifles will be in the same price range as the rest of our large-frame rifles.
And as far as not being as precise as competitors, I have been in the top 1 or 2 in every precision test I have participated in.

They will not be $15,000. Complete rifles will be in the same price range as the rest of our large-frame rifles.
And as far as not being as precise as competitors, I have been in the top 1 or 2 in every precision test I have participated in.
In the real world, yes, this is absolutely true. For the past 2 years, it has been the case. This was the only SR-25 in 6.5 that I could find for sale on the web: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1007187477 I observed one sell around 6 months ago for 12,000.00.

You can either bid on it for the minimum price of 15,000.00, or ensure this stallion is yours for the nominal price of 25,000.00!

As far as the precision statement goes, I have my personal experiences to draw upon. With that being said, my JP's are more accurate than my KAC's. I just had my LRP-07 re-barreled, and even while doing load development, multiple loads produce sub-half minute groups. @JohnDeereGuy1996 is very close, and hopefully he gets there with some development, but it's just not there at this time.

One of my best friends was a Scout Sniper in the USMC, went into contracting after his career in the USMC. They had choices between an SR-25 and an LMT. He said out of 4 snipers on his team, not one of them could ever get the SR-25 to shoot as accurately as the LMT.

Lastly, I have been on these precision rifle forums for over a decade, and not once have I observed someone post pictures of a KAC that has shot a 5rd group under half a minute...and trust me, sir, I am a KAC fan boi, so I want to see it. I just haven't.

Please don't take me as someone shitting on your products, brother. I know who you are and KAC is a treasure to this industry that I appreciate so much. If you have some pics or some other data that shows my personal experiences are not consistent with regards to how KAC's can perform as precision rifles, I am absolutely welcome to eat crow and admit my opinion to be unadulterated horse shit.

In fact, if you want to PM me, I would love nothing more than to purchase an SR-25 in 6.5CM, or even get one to T&E, to prove myself wrong. Just not at those really, really high prices ;) I'd do an extremely thorough write-up of the adventure on the Hide too!

In the real world, yes, this is absolutely true. For the past 2 years, it has been the case. This was the only SR-25 in 6.5 that I could find for sale on the web: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1007187477 I observed one sell around 6 months ago for 12,000.00.

You can either bid on it for the minimum price of 15,000.00, or ensure this stallion is yours for the nominal price of 25,000.00!

As far as the precision statement goes, I have my personal experiences to draw upon. With that being said, my JP's are more accurate than my KAC's. I just had my LRP-07 re-barreled, and even while doing load development, multiple loads produce sub-half minute groups. @JohnDeereGuy1996 is very close, and hopefully he gets there with some development, but it's just not there at this time.

One of my best friends was a Scout Sniper in the USMC, went into contracting after his career in the USMC. They had choices between an SR-25 and an LMT. He said out of 4 snipers on his team, not one of them could ever get the SR-25 to shoot as accurately as the LMT.

Lastly, I have been on these precision rifle forums for over a decade, and not once have I observed someone post pictures of a KAC that has shot a 5rd group under half a minute...and trust me, sir, I am a KAC fan boi, so I want to see it. I just haven't.

Please don't take me as someone shitting on your products, brother. I know who you are and KAC is a treasure to this industry that I appreciate so much. If you have some pics or some other data that shows my personal experiences are not consistent with regards to how KAC's can perform as precision rifles, I am absolutely welcome to eat crow and admit my opinion to be unadulterated horse shit.

In fact, if you want to PM me, I would love nothing more than to purchase an SR-25 in 6.5CM, or even get one to T&E, to prove myself wrong. Just not at those really, really high prices ;) I'd do an extremely thorough write-up of the adventure on the Hide too!
IMG_8973.png

This was a legit group from same rifle with 140 grn eld match. I didn’t post it though cause it would be called cherry picked lol

I can't control the secondary market, people are going to pay what they're willing to pay for a high-demand, low supply product. Our dealers (there are exceptions to everything of course) tend to maintain pricing policies and do not drastically increase prices. Always happy to let anyone know that asks who we recommend (we hear a lot about different dealers). We will be releasing a new line of SR-25s in the near future that will parallel our military and government line, and the pricing structure of those products are in-line with the inflation-adjusted cost of the previous generation.

As far as the precision statement goes, it's not really a fair argument to compare what an M110 SASS does with what a current generation 6.5 does. The M110 is literally a 20 year old design. I was out of the Corps by the time that our Mk 11 Mod 0s and Mod 1s were replaced force-wide, but believe me, I know that there were/are improvements needed with the 110. In fact, in my time here at KAC I have had 3 major ECPs applied to the M110, and added 4 additional variations to the contract: M110A2 (updated 20" 7.62), M110A3 (22" 6.5 Creedmoor), M110K3 (16" 7.62), and M110K7 (14.5" 6.5 Creedmoor). Right along with that we also added upper receiver options of the same as well as new suppressor designs. What it all comes down to with the M110 is this: KAC made a 7.62 precision rifle that worked and met the requirements. When it was adopted, literally nothing else submitted would do the same. The barrel, twist, chamber, and suppressor of the M110 were products of their time. The 6.5 Creedmoor program was a whole different animal from the very start.

The current 6.5 guns are 416R stainless steel, 5R, cut-rifled and custom chambered right here at KAC under the supervision of a barreling guru that previously worked at HS Precision and Border Barrels with something like 30 years of direct experience. He was delighted to finally do 416R in-house when the program started back in 2017. We went through 2 different twist rates and 3 chambers to find the optimal combination of precision and reliability, and three bolt/firing pin/carrier designs to accommodate for the pressure the XM1200 round was pushing a 140gr Berger AR Hybrid. I participated in 4 separate accuracy shoot-offs and came in 1st or 2nd in every one against all of the other companies that wanted to throw their hat into the ring. I'm not going to call them out, as there are a few very good guns out there right now and this isn't about me bad-mouthing my competition (frankly we're all pretty friendly with each other, and many of us are legitimately friends), it's a point of evidence of my claims.

And yeah, I get it, it's just the guy from KAC coming in and telling everybody they have to buy a $15k rifle or they're gonna die in those prolonged post-apocalyptic sniper battles that are coming next November, but I've been involved in this since I took a call in 2016 from SOCOM detailing what they wanted to do move forward. I got a contract in 2017 to supply 6.5 upper kits, and I competed in two swings of MRGG, MRGG-A, a couple international programs, and I'm getting ready for another one right now. I have laid down behind guns on the range with every other manufacturer that wanted that contract and shot it out with them all. I experienced not less than 16 iterations of the XM1200 ammunition, and have shot tens of thousands of rounds of various 6.5 ammo through these rifles in barrel lengths of 22", 20", 16", and 14.5". Yes, the rifles (while not $15k) are expensive, but they went through a lot of work to get them where they are, and they work very well.

Anyway, here are some pics of groups that I personally shot with various lengths of 6.5 M110s while I was focused on that program. They are definitely not what I would call representative of overall average group size (we comfortably guarantee 1 MOA average of 5-shot groups with good ammo), but this is all factory ammo. And one of me shooting a 16" 6.5 at the Quantified Performance Finale a couple weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2405.JPG
    IMG_2405.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2319.JPG
    IMG_2319.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2158.JPG
    IMG_2158.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG