• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long shot Roughneck

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2013
LUBBOCK,TX
Hey guys im looking to buils a short,light weight deer rifle(just for the hell of it really). I want to use a rem 700 action,16" barrel and a badger m4 floorplate. Has anybody built a 6.5 grendal bolt gun? Any help would be nice.

Ok , first of all the right word is Grendel;)
I see a lots of AR configurations in 6.5 Grendel here , I am about to build one myself
Why don't you consider an AR platform?
There are not many bolt guns in that caliber around that I know:confused:
I am sure I could be wrong though

I did a 6.5 Grendel bolt rifle, 700 action, feed it via AICS magazines. I'm sure a hinged floor plate will work also if you have correct mag box and follower.
What bullet are you planning on running?

6.5 Creed might make more sense. Brass a heck of a lot cheaper.
6.5 BR will get you same but easier to get correct BF w/o replacing bolt.

Really depends on end goal / use or if it is just you want a 6.5 Grendel to just have something different.

Last edited:
Ok , first of all the right word is Grendel
I see a lots of AR configurations in 6.5 Grendel here , I am about to build one myself
Why don't you consider an AR platform?
There are not many bolt guns in that caliber around that I know
I am sure I could be wrong though

I like this caliber. I have two in an AR platform and use them sometimes when I hunt. I am sure you could have one built in a bolt gun. :cool:

I have a dozen or so AR platforms the Grendel is my hands down favorite 5 shots at 200 yds 24 inch barrel 107 gr Smk 28.5 gr XBR 8208 i can break clays at 500 meters no sweat I shot F class with this rifle usually 8 x +/- 145

Attachments

• Target.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Had Marc S. Build me one on a 700sa just for shits and giggles.
It's a blast to shoot but there wasn't much reason besides already having a grendel AR and having a soft shooting rifle for novices to have fun with. It's kinda like shooting a nerf gun with the 24" barrel and Badger thruster brake it has on it.:D

A 16" barrel on a micro action would make a pretty sweet hunting rifle for anything I shoot at.

FCS has good advice. or just build it for the hell of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    953.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
To be truthful guys its just because there are very few out there and its got decent ballistics out of a shot barrel. I have owned quite a few ar platforms and just find myself trading them off or selling. Just a bolt action guy. It started as a 300blk but not what i wanted

A few ways to go about it. A Rem 700 with a .308 bolt face will very likely work. You may have extractor issues, but the difference in case head diameter ( < .025") isn't enough to cause a huge problem most of the time. You could do a .223 bolt face and have it opened up and/or do a M16/sako extractor if it really worries you.

Another popular thing to do (What I would personally do for a hunting rig) is a CZ527 in 7.62x39 and simply screw in a different barrel. I believe HS precision stocks are available.

The only reason I haven't done a 6.5g bolt gun is because my AR is accurate enough within the performance envelope of the round. Yesterday I was tagging steel at 550-620yd shooting prone with irons. Not much to improve upon realistically.

A few ways to go about it. A Rem 700 with a .308 bolt face will very likely work. You may have extractor issues, but the difference in case head diameter ( < .025") isn't enough to cause a huge problem most of the time. You could do a .223 bolt face and have it opened up and/or do a M16/sako extractor if it really worries you.

Another popular thing to do (What I would personally do for a hunting rig) is a CZ527 in 7.62x39 and simply screw in a different barrel. I believe HS precision stocks are available.

The only reason I haven't done a 6.5g bolt gun is because my AR is accurate enough within the performance envelope of the round. Yesterday I was tagging steel at 550-620yd shooting prone with irons. Not much to improve upon realistically.
Yes i will be buying a whole new bolt from ptg. Fluted and all the whole shebang. Going to have the action trued and all,will probably run a bartlein. I was more concerned with the internal box mag and follower. Bolt will have m16 extractor

You might go to 65grendel.com/forum and look around. I can't say for sure using a BDL/ADL magazine, but I know you can play with AICS mags and get them to work pretty good with minor bending.

I've always kind of wondered what kind of performance you could get out of the Grendel if you long-throated it to get the bullet out of the body and just in the neck, plus running 5-10kpsi hotter than AR loads.

Good luck

You might go to 65grendel.com/forum and look around. I can't say for sure using a BDL/ADL magazine, but I know you can play with AICS mags and get them to work pretty good with minor bending.

I've always kind of wondered what kind of performance you could get out of the Grendel if you long-throated it to get the bullet out of the body and just in the neck, plus running 5-10kpsi hotter than AR loads.

Good luck

2625 fps w/130 JLKs from a 24" bbl. Chamber set up to put BT / Bearing junction just above N / S junction. I can push bullet faster but accuracy and case life suffers.

It is really an AR round. Its COAL allows it to feed from an AR type magazine. If you are a bolt type of guy there are many better calibers available, however if you are willing to go to a black gun it is an ass-kicker.

It is really an AR round. Its COAL allows it to feed from an AR type magazine. If you are a bolt type of guy there are many better calibers available, however if you are willing to go to a black gun it is an ass-kicker.

+1 A Grendell won't do anything a 260,7mm-08, 308 won't do a whole lot better. But in an AR-15 platform it is a good rifle.

Yes i will be buying a whole new bolt from ptg. Fluted and all the whole shebang. Going to have the action trued and all,will probably run a bartlein. I was more concerned with the internal box mag and follower. Bolt will have m16 extractor

^^^^^^^
This is really the way to build up a 6.5 Grendel. It's a great round that has a lot more restrictions in a -15 platform than does the 5.56...but still performs amazingly well. I have been there done that, and it beats a .308/7.62x51 at long ranges.

Build up an accurate bolt gun and you have one even more amazing little round. Not having that gas path to work around would be a nice thing.

If you did not want to get the Rem 700 all built up for it, you might also think about the CZ527 mentioned above or the Rem 799 (previously Charles Daly 'mini' Mauser or Interarms 'mini Mk X'). Bat Arms also makes a small action for this kind of cartridge. A lot spendier, but maybe a little more tailored to the cartridge as they build specific actions for the 6mm PPC which the Grendel is built off of.

Last edited: