• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC Issues

gpr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
I wanted to hear from other owners of 6.5 PRC's. Shooting Hornady factory ammo, do you have ejector swipes?

On my 6.5 prc I have been fighting it for about a year. I sent the barreled action back to the place that made the barrel, so they could inspect it. I am getting ejector swipes bad enough that the brass is flowing into the hole and jamming up the ejector, thus won't eject the cartridges. The primer is slightly flattening but not cratering.

The barrel, headspace, action etc... all check out fine, but it still gets ejector swipes. I always hear Hornady typically loads hot and has soft brass, do you think this is my issue? I am shooting Hornady 147eld Match factory ammo, has anyone else had this issue with factory ammo?

Reactions: Sawbones
The most common theme I’ve seen with factory Hornady PRC ammo was that it was very slow. You have chrono numbers? That’s really the key here.

Other than huge ES/SD numbers, I have not had any issues. What is the Lot # of the ammo?

I recently bought some Hornady brass as I found a sweet spot for reloads, and evidently one box of those cases is showing the same symptoms, just not as bad (ejector swipe only, slightly sticky bolt). My load is running 3020 - about the same as Factory - and is 1.xx grains under max. Now that I have a stockpile I can start weighing cases to see if I have a large variance and get a group for matches.

Of the factory ammo that I am reloading, I am on #3 with some and no problems with it yet.

My average velocity is 2942fps, SD 14.45. This is a 26" barrel. Ammo Lot# 3173604.

Makes me nervous to shoot it with ejector swipes showing high pressure. Also when reloading it makes it difficult to read pressure when the brass already has high pressure signs!

Sticks, did your factory ammo show signs of high pressure? or just your reloads? How long of barrel are you running for 3020fps?

mine has been fine

22" barrel

143s running 2850 and 147s going 2730...no swipes or flat primers with the saami spec reamer

what reamer was used? possibly one with a tighter neck or shorter freebore?

It was a Manson reamer. I can't remember what the jump to the lands are off hand. I have it written down at home. But it wasn't the issue PT&G's short freebore reamers where factory ammo would be shoved into the lands, if that is what you are asking for. (i verified this wouldn't be an issue when having the barrel made)

Reactions: morganlamprecht
Sticks, did your factory ammo show signs of high pressure? or just your reloads? How long of barrel are you running for 3020fps?

Barrel was made my MPA, and 26" . IIRC my lands are at 2.230. - like you, written down so I don't have to remember and I am not at home.

The ejector marks on the brass was only on a select portion of my reloads. I bought 200 cases and all used the same Federal Primers, and same lot of RL26 (multiple 1# bottles is all I could find locally) All others (factory, reloaded factory, and the rest of my virgin brass) are fine, primers still round, no ejector marks, no primer cratering. I was done with my LabRadar, so I don't know if my velocities reflected the pressure signs.

I did not check the lot numbers on my brass, nor any other pre inspection. I foolishly assumed that as they were all bought from the same place at the same time that they would be the same lot, and they may be.

Here are a few pictures of the brass I shot. This is 10 rounds fired and 3 close ups of the worse cases. It is still leaving small shavings on the bolt face. Is this something I should be worried about?

I'm wondering if I got a bad lot # of ammo? As everything on the action/barrel has checked out multiple times. Its frustrating when shooting and the ejector gets stuck.

Attachments

• IMG_20181113_181532_resized_20181113_093819437.jpg
    IMG_20181113_181532_resized_20181113_093819437.jpg
    850.9 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_20181113_182451_resized_20181113_093819878.jpg
    IMG_20181113_182451_resized_20181113_093819878.jpg
    748.5 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_20181113_182611_resized_20181113_093819052.jpg
    IMG_20181113_182611_resized_20181113_093819052.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_20181113_182633_resized_20181113_093818671.jpg
    IMG_20181113_182633_resized_20181113_093818671.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 326
I would measure where your lands are, or mark a bullet up with a sharpie and cycle it through and see if you are getting marks from the lands or throat. Something is causing an over pressure. Measure the COAL when after you do this as well.

I forgot to look this thread up when I was home over the weekend and look at my case lot #.

The COAL of the chamber is 2.990, the factory ammo is 2.950. Thus I'm .040" off the lands.

I typed it wrong, but the bullet is seated .040" of the lands with factory ammo. I measured and verified several times. Also had a gunsmith measure and verify.

Reactions: b6graham
yes, however that does not affect it. I have shot with and with out it and get the same result.

Well, as far as I know, Hornady is the only factory ammo on the market at the moment.

Find some that is a different lot number, or try the 143 ELDX hunting food they have out.

...Or do a load workup with a powder on their list and see if your velocities match and where the pressure signs start.

My Ruger Hawkeye 6.5 PRC had been great...shooting factory Hornady 143 and 147's.

But then the FPS fell thru the floor on the last batches of factory ammo. 2744 ave on the 147g and 2815 on the 143.

I'm wondering if Hornady dropped their load.

I did have several hard bolt and stuck bolt issues when the FPS was closer to book. I don't now. So...???

Using the new slow FPS for ballistics I am still hitting targets at 1100 yards.

However, I decided to buy a barrel scope and look inside! I clean the gun plenty often and to the naked eye looked clean....BUT this looks scary after 65 rounds fired recently.

What am I looking at here??

Can I get some help from a trained eyes please. I have some special barrel cleaning paste coming in today that I'll try and see the difference.

Is this a bad barrel?
Accuracy is good.
FPS is slow for a while now.

The barrel has maybe had about 800 rounds thru since new about 9 months ago. I shoot PRS matches.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20200205-071828.jpg
    VideoCapture_20200205-071828.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 160
  • VideoCapture_20200205-071722.jpg
    VideoCapture_20200205-071722.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 146
  • VideoCapture_20200205-072149.jpg
    VideoCapture_20200205-072149.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 169
  • VideoCapture_20200205-071805.jpg
    VideoCapture_20200205-071805.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 157
Someone asked if the Rifle was fired recently and how often.

65 rounds week ago last Friday.

Nearly weekly and often twice in a week or more.

I prepare for PRS matches.

Possible that you have some questionable ammo. Anyone else you know shoot a 6.5 PRC that either has some reloads, or older factory ammo?

It would be worth a call to Hornady. Have the lot # of the latest ammo you ran.

I see nothing in the bore pics that would alarm me. The blue is oxidized copper fouling.

Your sticky bolt/stuck bolt could be from a carbon ring at the throat.

My Ruger Hawkeye 6.5 PRC had been great...shooting factory Hornady 143 and 147's.

But then the FPS fell thru the floor on the last batches of factory ammo. 2744 ave on the 147g and 2815 on the 143.

I'm wondering if Hornady dropped their load.

I did have several hard bolt and stuck bolt issues when the FPS was closer to book. I don't now. So...???

Using the new slow FPS for ballistics I am still hitting targets at 1100 yards.

However, I decided to buy a barrel scope and look inside! I clean the gun plenty often and to the naked eye looked clean....BUT this looks scary after 65 rounds fired recently.

What am I looking at here??

Can I get some help from a trained eyes please. I have some special barrel cleaning paste coming in today that I'll try and see the difference.

Is this a bad barrel?
Accuracy is good.
FPS is slow for a while now.

The barrel has maybe had about 800 rounds thru since new about 9 months ago. I shoot PRS matches.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!!

I'm unsure about the OP's question, but for the above. i had 2 diff lots of the 147 and there was roughly a ~50fps diff between the lots. With a factory rifle, i no long own, the 1st ~200 rnds of the slow lot was only getting ~2880fps. On a diff rifle with custom bbl the slow lot was hitting ~2920fps. Faster lot was @ ~2970fps.

Your bbl looks like copper fouling, clean it out some more and see if you get some velocity back.

Possible that you have some questionable ammo. Anyone else you know shoot a 6.5 PRC that either has some reloads, or older factory ammo?

I see nothing in the bore pics that would alarm me. The blue is oxidized copper fouling.

Hello,

These new attached pics are of the Jews of the barrel by the chamber....that looks like heat damage...or what?

Something is slowing the rounds down nearly 190 fps. It's still accurate when I account for the reduction.

A while back during a March I did have several hard bolt lifts and one really struck. I think Hornady had some overloaded rounds!

I haven't looked at other looking distance barrels. But my AR and 300 Blackout with many many more rounds thru don't look like this.

I did talk to Hornady. And emailed then the EXCEL form from the Magneto Speed files. They know the batches that I have had this issue with. They'd like me to send them back a partial box. I may do that.

Tell me what you think about the pics please. Maybe that is normal for a high powered Rifle...with 600+ shots

I do intend to see if I can get a hold of some 6.5 PRC reloads from a fellow I know that does that for guns that they manufacture and sell in College Station Texas.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo_8.jpg
    Photo_8.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Photo_11.jpg
    Photo_11.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Photo_9.jpg
    Photo_9.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Photo_10.jpg
    Photo_10.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 97

That was some weird voice to text errors there in the beginning. Sorry about that I didn't reread it carefully before I hit send ...

Weigh your brass. I had over 800 pieces, Weight varied from 216-225 grains. 80% weighed in around 219 and those i used for handloads.

Pics look normal compared to any of my barrels.
Wow ! Really? So that cracked up look is normal just because it's under high magnification you see the heat wrinkles or what? I expected that to be so much smoother I guess.

Maybe this is just a bad few batches of ammo. Got to find another 6.5 PRC round and try to compare it !

I'd sure feel a lot better about that situation!

Thanks for reply!

Hello,

These new attached pics are of the Jews of the barrel by the chamber....that looks like heat damage...or what?

Something is slowing the rounds down nearly 190 fps. It's still accurate when I account for the reduction.

A while back during a March I did have several hard bolt lifts and one really struck. I think Hornady had some overloaded rounds!

I haven't looked at other looking distance barrels. But my AR and 300 Blackout with many many more rounds thru don't look like this.

I did talk to Hornady. And emailed then the EXCEL form from the Magneto Speed files. They know the batches that I have had this issue with. They'd like me to send them back a partial box. I may do that.

Tell me what you think about the pics please. Maybe that is normal for a high powered Rifle...with 600+ shots

I do intend to see if I can get a hold of some 6.5 PRC reloads from a fellow I know that does that for guns that they manufacture and sell in College Station Texas.

Thanks!
That fire cracking is normal. I have had fire cracking w larger calibers w 180 rounds down the tube.

Weigh your brass. I had over 800 pieces, Weight varied from 216-225 grains. 80% weighed in around 219 and those i used for handloads.
Will the weight of the brass affect feet per second? These are all factory Hornady match grade 147g ELD. I have about 600 rounds that I need to reload now and have gathered all my equipment and building my table to start doing it. I did this 40 years ago but it's been a while !

My 6.5 PRC barrel was a lot worse w 800 rounds down the tube. Extensive fire cracking and 12 plus inches of rifling gone.

Heavy brass always could show pressure signs.

That fire cracking is normal. I have had fire cracking w larger calibers w 180 rounds down the tube.
GOOD to know!!

I know that is the primary place that get the heat!

Did it affect or change the feet per second ig your rounds?

The accuracy of my gun is still absolutely spot on one bullet through previous hole etc. I just have to use the slower data for ballistics and all is good. But it effectively has turned by 6.5 PRC into a standard 6.5 Creedmore. That's a Great Rifle! But not what I bought. I'm looking forward to getting my first batch of reloads done and see what they actually run!

Not trying to sell you anything but looking at the pic’s you posted....barrel is toast is what I’m going to say.

Also with you saying 800 or so rounds on it....and lost velocity. With a round count in that range and losing the velocity that is usually a sign the throat is gone. Shooting box ammo you cannot chase the wear of the throat and or bump the powder charge to get the velocity back.

Bore scope the throat area of the chamber right in front of the case mouth. Bet you it looks worse. Also that cracking you are seeing when you start losing chunks of metal in the throat on the edges of the lands that will be an accuracy killer.

Have you measured the throat wear at all? Kept any data from when the barrel was new and how much further the bullet is going into the throat area now?

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Reactions: Dooby
My 6.5 PRC barrel was a lot worse w 800 rounds down the tube. Extensive fire cracking and 12 plus inches of rifling gone.
I think I have pieces of rifling missing also down the barrel a little bit. I don't think that's a good idea…! LOL did that trash your barrel then? Or still working well ?

Barrels will wear differently from everything from how the barrel is made to the load being shot thru it as well as calibers.

I’ve seen 26 Nosler barrels with a 110 rounds on it that look like a 300wm with 800 rounds on it.

Try using JB bore compound to get some of that carbon build up and try and smooth the heavy cracking out as well.

Reactions: Dooby
Not trying to sell you anything but looking at the pic’s you posted....barrel is toast is what I’m going to say.

Also with you saying 800 or so rounds on it....and lost velocity. With a round count in that range and losing the velocity that is usually a sign the throat is gone. Shooting box ammo you cannot chase the wear of the throat and or bump the powder charge to get the velocity back.

Bore scope the throat area of the chamber right in front of the case mouth. Bet you it looks worse. Also that cracking you are seeing when you start losing chunks of metal in the throat on the edges of the lands that will be an accuracy killer.

Have you measured the throat wear at all? Kept any data from when the barrel was new and how much further the bullet is going into the throat area now?

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Good detail observations!
That's my thinking also!
I have not been able to measure anything. I've only been using factory Ammo. And just got the borescope a few days ago to see what's going on inside. I don't know what a new throat should look like. But This is pretty bad!

Ruger wants me to send the rifle back and have them look at it. They said it should not be going out this fast. I just got the gun back in July. But I do shoot PRS Matches.... I sure cannot afford to buy a new precision rifle every seven to 10 months!! Yikes!

Velocity will change lot to lot. Temps can change velocity. How much velocity have you dropped?

Barrels will wear differently from everything from how the barrel is made to the load being shot thru it as well as calibers.

I’ve seen 26 Nosler barrels with a 110 rounds on it that look like a 300wm with 800 rounds on it.

Try using JB bore compound to get some of that carbon build up and try and smooth the heavy cracking out as well.

Good detail observations!
That's my thinking also!
I have not been able to measure anything. I've only been using factory Ammo. And just got the borescope a few days ago to see what's going on inside. I don't know what a new throat should look like. But This is pretty bad!

Ruger wants me to send the rifle back and have them look at it. They said it should not be going out this fast. I just got the gun back in July. But I do shoot PRS Matches.... I sure cannot afford to buy a new precision rifle every seven to 10 months!! Yikes!
Im my finding w the 6.5 PRC, Hornady may have gotten their barrel life numbers mixed up. Original reamer print showed 1100 than was written over w a pencil to 2100. My barrel was about shot out w 800 rounds.

Velocity drop and loss of accuracy= A SMOKED BARREL :p

Reactions: Frank Green
Im my finding w the 6.5 PRC, Hornady may have gotten their barrel life numbers mixed up. Original reamer print showed 1100 than was written over w a pencil to 2100. My barrel was about shot out w 800 rounds.
Wow!
For now it's still very accurate at 1100 yards. Just slower. But with the chunks of metal I see missing with the borescope, obviously accuracy is gonna go away sooner or later

I would source a barrel (BARTLEIN or Proof) and shoot it till accuracy drops.

Wow!
My 260 pushes 147’s faster than that comfortably.
I was just thinking the same thing about my 6.5CM...
With both H4350 and RL16. 24” barrel.
AC2C20B1-8A27-4F80-BAD5-8019915B6C46.jpeg

Last edited: