• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5 SAUM

Tjfarmer

Farmer Guy
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Illinois
Found a good deal on a 6.5 saum, I shoot alot and brass life is my concern. Is the newer hornady or Norma brass working better? Earlier I'd heard guys getting loose primer pockets after 5-6 reloads. Was planning on waiting a season to see if the 6.5prc takes off or not, as id heard good reports on reload testing. On it and pretty good speed out of real world handloads

I get 10+ loads on Hornady brass IF IF IF I brush out the bore every 100 rounds or so. Fouling builds up and spikes pressure otherwise and I'll loosen primer pockets in 3-4 firings. I think this is the name of the game blowing 60-62gr of H1000 through a 6.5mm hole.

I found it out trying to measure COAL to the lands with a dirty bore. I got crazy inconsistent results because the bullet was catching interference on fouling. Cleaned the bore and got back to sanity. I also noticed that after 150 rounds or so I started getting ejector slot stamps on my case heads and the primer pockets would be loose. No such problem since cleaning periodically.