• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 staball powder for 556?

teknikallysekure

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • I'm always trying my damnedest to consolidate powders when possible recognizing that there's often a cost for achieving this efficiency.

I noticed on Ultimate Reloaders 5.56 load walkthrough he mentions that for heavier loads 70-90 grains he lists 6.5 staball as functional but on the lower end of the performance spectrum.

My AR actually has an 18" barrel and likes heavies, I'm loading on a 550c or single stage depending but this 6.5 staball meters really well.

Has anyone tried to make this work and found it to be worth pursuing, or am I day dreaming?

I know it's a rifle to rifle basis and there's no telling until I work up a ladder for this thing, but what I'm hoping to get feedback on is whether or not this is worth pursuing or it's a complete waste of time.

It's worth a shot I guess.
    I have found some of the best powders I have used in a few different instances in a few calibers aren't even listed in any load books or online or aren't recommended.

There isn't a one size fit all powder. While it might work, it's going to be slow.

I guess 3 powders is my minimum.

I'd stomach middling performance in my AR15s with higher performance on my PRS rifle for the efficiency of maintaining only pistol and rifle powder sources, but it sounds like I'd probalby be having to stomach actual poor performance or will ultimately have to test to see what I can truly accomplish.