• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5G Larue is back from factory repairs

CBDR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2017
Jacksonville FL.
So after a two month wait the results are in. My 6.5 Grendel made its way back out to the range with her primary day optic a Vortex AMG 6 X 24. My reason for sending the rifle back to Larue was because of jamming issues. I created the problem by removing the brake and attaching a direct thread suppressor, an OMEGA. I should have trusted my instincts, don't tinker with the cycling process. Several recommendations were entertained but what I consider a reliable source gave me something to think about. JUST SEND IT BACK, thank you Wig. Turns out Larue does stand by their product. They returned my rifle to me in perfect working condition. I have scrapped the idea of shooting it suppressed. Let it be. I am happy with sub one inch groups at 200m. My PVS-30 and IR illumination device are back in operation. With this happy ending I still view the bolt action rifle as a less problematic firearm. In my experience the AR platform is just to finicky. Kind of like a sexy women with extra baggage.

Reactions: cruze5
Had some jamming/double feed issues with my Larue OBR pre-xtran when I first shot it with the Thunderbeast Ultra 7.
I called Larue for advice, they recommended changing the buffer to H3.
I tried different combinations of buffer weights, springco red & orange spring and lube with gas block in suppressed setting.

Best results for me was springco red spring, H3 buffer, and BCG well lubed with gas block in suppressed setting.
The BCG needed to be cleaned after every shooting session, then lubricated before shooting again. Jamming/double feed issues returns once BCG gets dirty.

ultimate upper or a factory 6.5G? Link to original thread?

I run mine suppressed but so far only with the tranquilo. It did eat a magazine but that’s not unheard of with the 6.5 G so I didn’t attribute that to the rifle.

understood. i thought about suppressing my ar10 with the ultra 7 i use on several others..... i guess this answers that question.

im sorry you had to go through that... no fun at all

understood. i thought about suppressing my ar10 with the ultra 7 i use on several others..... i guess this answers that question.

im sorry you had to go through that... no fun at all

308 isn’t as bad as hotter rounds like 6.5 G or .260. They will often require some tuning and it’s rough on brass but it’s not hard to dial in.

TranQuilo has appreciably less back pressure and works wonderfully on the 6.5 Grendel as shipped from LaRue.

OMEGA has more back pressure, causes cycling issues and definitely dirties up brass / receive faster.

Love TBAC suppressors and for bolt guns I don't know as one can get a better can.

Gas guns, can not beat a TranQuilo for price / performance. No need for adjustable gas block, one set up for suppressed / unsuppressed; doing exactly this with 300BO (supers and subs, "special" load for subs), 223, 6.5 Grendel, 25-08, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 and 308. TranQuilo does as advertised, lower back pressure and minimizes need to adjust gas system between suppressed / unsuppressed. Does have a POA / POI shift between but is very repeatable.

Your right it would make the most sense. What I also have learned is when executing a shot in extremely cramped conditions, ( in a tree stand) the extra length on the rifle is an additional challenge. A 50 yard off hand shot from less than optimal conditions in heavy timber can challenging.
Shooting from the prone out of my elevated box stand is another story.

LaRue 18” barrel, cut to 14.5”, TranQuilo brake / suppressor mount pinned for 16”.
120s @ 2360
100 zero
200 meters is 1 mil
300 meters is 2 mil
400 meters is 3 mil
500 meters is 4.5 mil
Connect on 8” plate at all distances w/o touching knobs, just hold overs.
Old Leupold Vari-X III, 4.5-14x40 w/mil-dot.
5577C8E5-377E-43E4-BF73-BD8943B89389.jpeg

No mods to barrel besides cutting to 14.5”

Picked up barrel a guy was selling from a UUK, found a Mega MKM upper, had an old CLE 20 MOA riser/rail, some 1” rings..I’ve been happy with results.

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
I shot my factory 6.5 G with a surefire 7.62SS can and it would drop all the brass in a tight little pile at 4 o'clock.. Sold that can and have a Q Trash panda for it now.. but i have not shot it much to really notice anything.. more like a 10 round functions check .

What mags are you using? What specific malfunctions? Increased backpressure is decreasing dwell time, and mags may not be keeping up.

I would order a bootleg carrier and adjust the gas with your Omega on. There is zero excuse why the gun shouldn't function with any suppressor.

Also run it wet, really really wet. And H3 buffer ( which should come with the UU kit, but larue doesnt). If that doesn't fix it, the gun is defective.

Switched to Elander mags. Gun is back with over 100rds down range and zero issues. Going to leave it as is. Will not shoot suppressed again with this rifle. She is producing 1 inch groups at 200 m. For a hunting application I can not ask for better results. My bolt actions have zero problems with my suppressor.

Switched to Elander mags. Gun is back with over 100rds down range and zero issues. Going to leave it as is. Will not shoot suppressed again with this rifle. She is producing 1 inch groups at 200 m. For a hunting application I can not ask for better results. My bolt actions have zero problems with my suppressor.
Shoots just as well, usually better, with a TranQuilo attached.
Omega is a fine bolt gun can, not so much for a gas gun.
Pick right tool for the job, makes everything mo' betta.

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
Omega 30 can is great on small platform semi autos and backpressue is pretty low comparedto my AAC M4/2000. I run my Omega on a 16" barrel .233, running a midlength gas port and turned down to run with a standard carbine spring, H1 buffer, and JP LMOS carrier. That and the fact it is a .30 can with .22 bullets going down the pipe may influence my feelings of its back pressure, but my rifle ejects at 3:30 and shoots soft. It also works well on an 11.5" SBR with the same internals and carbine port, and also a 16" 300 Blackout with standard carrier/gas block and carbine port, and on 6.5 bolt guns.

It might have issues on 6.5 Creedmoor semi autos, but on everything else I would say backpressure is actually lower than most cans I have used.

Omega 30 can is great on small platform semi autos and backpressue is pretty low comparedto my AAC M4/2000. I run my Omega on a 16" barrel .233, running a midlength gas port and turned down to run with a standard carbine spring, H1 buffer, and JP LMOS carrier. That and the fact it is a .30 can with .22 bullets going down the pipe may influence my feelings of its back pressure, but my rifle ejects at 3:30 and shoots soft. It also works well on an 11.5" SBR with the same internals and carbine port, and also a 16" 300 Blackout with standard carrier/gas block and carbine port, and on 6.5 bolt guns.

It might have issues on 6.5 Creedmoor semi autos, but on everything else I would say backpressure is actually lower than most cans I have used.

Compared the Omega against a TranQuilo on any platform?
Have a LaRue 6.5 Grendel that you have tried the Omega on?
Those data points would be excellent to have.

I run an Omega on one of my JP LRP-07's in 6.5 Creed. That rifle runs phenomenally well with the Omega and honestly I enjoy shooting that rifle more than almost any other rifle I own. The Omega tone is amazing and I haven't put it on a rifle and had it cause excessive issues as long as the rifle was reasonably set up to run suppressed.

Large frame gas guns aren't terribly difficult to run suppressed but you do need to either understand the system or buy from someone that builds the rifle as a complete system.

Newbie.jpg

Reactions: LeadZeke
Darqusoull13 is spot on. Omega isn't the lowest back pressure but with a quality adjustable gas block like a Superlative Arms and a good buffer setup it is great on large and small frame.

@Darqusoull13 you're better looking than I expected. I mean, for a dude and all.
I took a friend's advice and stopped appearing in photos with the JPs. Got way more likes on the 'gram.

That was a friend from judo that hung out at a local match and sent some rounds downrange on some stages after the match. It was my jacket though :cautious:

• Haha
Reactions: TonyTheTiger