• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6BR on the AR-15

jpretle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2005
Big Sky Country
My search has failed. A while back there was a discussion on this topic. I was wondering if someone on this board has 'hands on' experience w/ this set-up. If so, please advise. I need info.
Yes I've checked out AR Performance and BRAT.

Re: 6BR on the AR-15

In order to make it work you have to turn the rim down on the brass to fit in a 762x39 bolt. This causes feeding issues for many (bolt over riding the rim and wedging on the case). Many have tried to make it work and failed.

Hence the 6mm AR and its variants popularity.

http://www.6mmar.com/

6mm RAT info here:

http://www.accurateandreliablerifle.com/

All this said, I saw someone out there advertising a working 6BR AR in the last year that did not require the rims turned down but cannot recall who. I think they were out of Durango CO.

Thanks Jason. Those are the ones. I was hoping there was some up to date info, but that is not the case.
What search did you use to find the threads?
Thanks

I have an upper in 6BR. It's based on Oly upper parts and built by Holliger. Shoots standard BR cases, no turned rims. The biggest concern should be mags. If you are considering a build, make sure you sort the mags out before you commit to a path. Mine feeds and operates just fine.
ARboltsCompositeText.jpg

There's also another out there. I have the bolt and extension from this one, but haven't had it built yet.

What magazines are you running with 6BR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpretle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Jason. Those are the ones. I was hoping there was some up to date info, but that is not the case.
What search did you use to find the threads?
Thanks </div></div>
Too busy to build custom barrels but the bolts and extensions are available.
www.AR15Performance.com- Pueblo West bottom of the page

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What magazines are you running with 6BR? </div></div>
The Oly/Brat system uses mags with the mag catch enlarged on the top side so the mag sits lower in the receiver and with a wssm it is a center feed. The Oly system has a special carrier, bolt extension and requires a receiver that has been enlarged to 1.050 where the barrel extension slides in.

The AR Performance system uses 6.8 mags, PRIs allow a OAL of around 2.3" Uses a standard AR15 carrier and receiver, the bolt and barrel extension are different.

In the process of building a 6brx with the ar preformance bolt and extention. Will be using 6.8 spc mags I will let you know how it turns out.

I just got back my 6brx from AR performance.

I haven't worked up any loads yet, but I just grabbed some extra bullets I wasn't going to use to fireform and threw together a load of 90gr berger, 30.5gr of varget, and rem 7 1/2 primer jammed .025 to .030 to fireform.

While sighting in the gun, I noticed it was grouping really well, so I decided to put it on paper. With no rear bag, only my hand for rear support, I shot 5 half minute groups in a row with the smallest being .39 and the largets .52 (5 shot).

I'm anxious to work up real loads now.

Guess the S-Carb treatment didn't hurt the accuracy any.
Let me know what you think about the Melonite reducing copper fouling after you have had a chance to shoot it a while.

Harrison,

I only have 105 rounds through it so far of fire form loads, but so far it seems to not be fouling bad at all. I've got another 95 rounds to fireform and then I'll start load development.

I'll keep you up to date with results.

Thanks again for your help!

P.S. The 5 half minute groups I shot fireforming were after shooting 20 rounds before. So it maintained the half minute through 45 rounds easy. After I work up loads, I'll probably let it go around 250 rounds before cleaning to see how it does.