• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm creedmore

I had the same thought when I started with it. If you start to buy brass, you’ll realize creedmoor may be a good option. Brass is pretty cheap and available in both small and large primer options. It can also be necked down from 6.5 brass easily. The common chamber reamers also accommodate heavier bullets.

Depends on if you want to run bullets heavier than 100gr. The .243 is factory optimized below that, while the 6 CM was really built with longer and heavier bullets in mind (but still does great with varmint weight bullets).

6 CM gives you factory rifles and ammo for long range target shooting. .243 needs some customization, but can certainly be built in a fast twist with long freebore to outrun a 6 CM.

I had a .243. It is a great cartridge. I'm pretty hooked on the 6 Creedmoor now. I also have a 6 GT and love the efficiency of that cartridge, but I think that the 6 Creed will probably be my "forever" 6mm cartridge.

The difference is even more irrelevant if you reload. Which you should

It's better if you want to shoot heavy for caliber projectiles. If you don't care about that then the .243 is better because there are far more factory guns and factory ammo options out there. I suspect that the 6CM will eventually replace the .243 but I'm not going to live long enough to see that.

243 is 0.100 longer case, don't seem like much but: has a short neck and short freebore for lighter bullets. Want to increase efficiency, sure! Add another 0.120 freebore to make room for heavies. Now you're running 2.9"+ to 3" coal. You'll be jumping bullets a long ways(not a bad thing) but having mag length constraint with the longer high bc stuff like atips, 109 berger. All for what, 100fps advantage? Not many guys in the know run their rifles in the top velocity node, most competitors shooting 6cm are 2950-3050 with long barrels, some even run below 2900. The extra velocity from 3000 fps to 3100fps is of little advantage. Yeah you might have 0.1 mil less wind at 700y, but can you shoot the difference on plate or paper? I know I can't. 6cm is the easy button, tons of good factory ammo, easy to load for, great brass from lapua or alpha, my advice go 6cm, it's a no brainer for me.

The 243 is an excellent varmint cartridge, and 100gr bullets ar 3200fps are great deer/Antelope rounds if the bullet construction is good. The 243 has its place! Lot of guys switched to 243ai, and get better barrel life with the improved shoulder and slower powders VS standard 243 running same bullets at same velocities. These were longer throats for match bullets.

same thing only different.
I love the saami 6 creed reamer. 183 freebore is perfect for the 115dtac. 40.5 gr of h4350 in lapua brass and I get 2920fps and excellent accuracy... for 1500 rounds. plus plenty of room in the mag to load the dtacs appropriately.

Last edited:
6mm creedmoor is excellent in short barrels as well. No idea why but it performs better than .243 thinks the only reason why I went over to 6mm creedmoor. 87gr V-max are excellent. I can’t wait to try the 80gr ELD-VT better BC and a lighter projectile needs to only be better performance

I just converted by brothers pencil barreled .243 model 7 to a medium weight 6cm and am waiting on a 6cm barrel for my TacII for PRS, but I will always use my .243 for varmints as the cartridge has never let me down.
The 6cm uses less powder for the same outcome, but if your heavily invested in .243 there's no need to change cartridges unless like me, you just want to dabble in another awesome 6mm cartridge using projo's and powder you already have on hand.
SJC