• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7.62x39 Small Primer Brass

clay_breaker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
North Texas
I see that only Remington produces ammo with small primer 7.62x39 brass, and they only sell Lg primer brass. I load quite a bit of this caliber but I have never used any small primer brass. What is the advantage of it? I have read that some seek it out because they believe it is better. If this has been covered, please refer me to the link, I ran search and came up empty.

Re: 7.62x39 Small Primer Brass

For a small capacity case such as the one you lise, SR primers help reduce ES / SD in theory. This is because most (rem 7 1/2 has nearly as much as most LR primers) SR primers have a good bit less FLASH energy when ignited. Too much flash energy tends to cause problems accuracy wise, not to say that it is horribly bad. But Just The Right amount of flash to get the job done is considered to set up an optimal burn, thus it will tend to give better accuracy and lower ES / SD. Also, the small rifle primers can help with case head strength and handle higher pressures a little bit better.

All this being said, the Wolf LR primers is considered by most to generally "Cure The Problem" of too much flash from a LR primer by its being a fairly mild LR primer. Also, SR primers seem to be best in small capacity cases like your 7.62x39, or a 6BR case ect. In full sized 308 cases such as the 308 Lapua Palma it can cause missfires. This information about miss fires from the new 308 palma cases comes directly from Lapua in fact. Though right at the moment I can not find the link. When I do find it, I will edit and post it for you.

So, if you have LR cases in 7.62x39 I would honestly suggest you try some Russian -- Wolf -- or Tula primers. They really are a milder primer than any of the typical american primers, so for this type application they would fit the bill nicely. They are actually kind of like the RWS primers, in that they are Just Mild Enough, But Not too Mild for most mid sized cases. Say 30-06 on down, and most especially 308 sized cases.

Have a good one,
Gary

Yeah, I have heard that the Wolf is a mild primer. I have never used any primers other than Win, or CCI. Also, I have in the past ran into loads where ES/SD were excessive, but I generally blew them off as "that powder doesn't work well in 7.62x39". If I run across some SR primer brass I'm sure I will have to try it just see for myself if there is anything to it.

Might very well do a great job for a 7.62x39. The SR I mean. I use CCI mil spec (mag) LR, and Win a lot. But things got damn hard to find, I was running very low, so when the Wolf LR were in stock I got 5k worth. Figured what the hell...any primers are better than none. Damn glad I did now, I still use Win and CCI mil, but I do use them less often now. The wolf work pretty dang well.

Have a good one,
P.S. I still can not find that link to where Lapua said the 308 Lapua Palma brass was for warm / fair weather only, and that poor weather / low temps would likely cause miss fires ect. Which really bothers me, as I thought I had book marked it.