• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International AT-X

Not any longer, I do like the right side folding option on the AX

If mainly prone, AX is very nice.

I personally prefer the AT as a do all rifle. It can still be shot off props or things like trees a bit better than the AX. At least for me anyway. The “hump” in the AX in front of magwell has just not worked as well for me in non bipod situations.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
The AT-X will ship with a 4 groove cut rifle barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor manufactured by AI in Portsmouth, UK.

Barrels supplied in the US are finished at WIN Tactical from contoured blanks supplied by Bartlein. We have been using Bartlein blanks for about 10 years in the U.S. and will continue to do so.

The interior diameter of the forend bridges is 1.300". The bridge will clear a 1.250" diameter barrel. As Jorge has noted, running a no taper 1.250" barrel may not be the best approach and we did not intend to design the rifle to such extremes. The channel weights, when installed, will also clear a 1.250" barrel. The AI barrel is 1.220" at the breach end and .950 at the muzzle. The weight of the finished 6.5 CM barrel at 24" is 5.8 lbs. So, it's very close to the "M24/M40" profile in finished weight.

View attachment 7577452View attachment 7577444

@Frank Green

Frank, how much clearance would you recommend?

I have a BB 1.25” blank. Gonna toss it in the lathe and just turn it to a smaller straight.

1.20, 1.15 or something smaller?

@Frank Green

Frank, how much clearance would you recommend?

I have a BB 1.25” blank. Gonna toss it in the lathe and just turn it to a smaller straight.

1.20, 1.15 or something smaller?
I think 1.250" might be too big and not allow enough clearance for barrel whip/vibration if the fore end is 1.3" wide. I think it would be o.k. but might be on the tight side.

1.200" you will be golden for sure. Plenty of clearance then.

So you could run a 1.250" breech diameter and either have a step down to 1.200" or some sort of a straight tapered barrel to get you down where you need to be.

Later, Frank

Last edited:
I’m working on a “kit” for the X. Basically all the tools you need to disassemble and reassemble as well as tork it all down.

Getting T handle stuff for coarse work, and fix it sticks for the torque.

I’ll update with pics and complete list once it’s assembled this week.

Attachments

• 1980E254-1A78-4E48-AE93-3DDC74B0009F.jpeg
    1980E254-1A78-4E48-AE93-3DDC74B0009F.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 85
I’m working on a “kit” for the X. Basically all the tools you need to disassemble and reassemble as well as tork it all down.

I have to admit, when I first read your post I was thinking "Why is he buying wrenches for his ex-wife?" 😂

Really interested in this, I was thinking of doing the same. Look forward to seeing your setup and list.

Really interested in this, I was thinking of doing the same. Look forward to seeing your setup and list.

It might not be any less expensive than just buying the long range kit from fix it sticks.

But I wanted a specific set that only has exactly what I need for this rifle. Just cause……well…..I don’t know. But it made sense at the time.

@Scott Seigmund

Small suggesting for future short nvg rail production:

Keep the rear the same length and contour as the long rail. I picked up a short to run 1.25” without turning barrel to 1.20. Since the only part that touches is further away from action during recoil.

The area where there is a gap is where I rest my thumb at times when grabbing front of rail.

I’d imagine others do as well. Not a huge deal. But seems like easy way to give end user more mounting options.

If this was already mentioned, I apologize. There’s a ton of posts here and I may have missed it.

Attachments

• CE1083AE-36E7-4917-91DD-3DB0D9C28B00.jpeg
    CE1083AE-36E7-4917-91DD-3DB0D9C28B00.jpeg
    572.1 KB · Views: 153
  • C87538C4-EB2E-4BC0-B214-49E878741B27.jpeg
    C87538C4-EB2E-4BC0-B214-49E878741B27.jpeg
    410.3 KB · Views: 155
Pick and pluck foam always looks like shit. I’ll get a hot knife or some laser cut eventually.

I decided to leave the fixed T handles out of the travel kit. I have extended bits that will handle that job.

AW mag on top of closed case for scale.

Attachments

• 7FE2604B-8505-46B1-AE15-DDE8A33A8011.jpeg
    7FE2604B-8505-46B1-AE15-DDE8A33A8011.jpeg
    654.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 0F15456E-857A-41C5-A393-3790F92ADA50.jpeg
    0F15456E-857A-41C5-A393-3790F92ADA50.jpeg
    834.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 2BF75D9D-63B6-47E4-BBD6-5D303EE35518.jpeg
    2BF75D9D-63B6-47E4-BBD6-5D303EE35518.jpeg
    610.1 KB · Views: 100
Shot my new ATX for the first time today. Unfortunately I had feeding issues with 6.5 CM. Using the magazine that shipped with the gun and others that I already own. Push up on the mag and it feeds. Bolt now rides over an empty magazine, was the geometry changed specifically to allow that?

I've dozen of mags, am I suppose to send them all in and get them re-worked/exchanged for the ATX's? Why lower the mag in relationship to the bolt where you get these ride overs and no feeding. None of these same magazines have feeding issues in the many other AI's I own.

What's the likelihood with reworked magazines over time they will spread @ the lips/upper body and the problem returns?

By the way, even with the feeding distractions it shot lights out. Love the trigger. Got to get those folding hinges out! :)

20220416_151422.jpg

20220416_145721.jpg

Reactions: Lonely Raven
Shot my new ATX for the first time today. Unfortunately I had feeding issues with 6.5 CM. Using the magazine that shipped with the gun and others that I already own. Push up on the mag and it feeds. Bolt now rides over an empty magazine, was the geometry changed specifically to allow that?

I've dozen of mags, am I suppose to send them all in and get them re-worked/exchanged for the ATX's? Why lower the mag in relationship to the bolt where you get these ride overs and no feeding. None of these same magazines have feeding issues in the many other AI's I own.

What's the likelihood with reworked magazines over time they will spread @ the lips/upper body and the problem returns?

By the way, even with the feeding distractions it shot lights out. Love the trigger. Got to get those folding hinges out! :)

View attachment 7851031

View attachment 7851032

They decided they want it to ride over. Pretty much all the explanation needed.

The body of the mag seems to have been the issue on a lot of mags and they are fixing them. I wouldn’t expect the body of the mag to change over time.

Personally I’m getting six AX mags that feed properly. Three will be used and the other three will sit on the shelf or in the case in the event of issues arising. I already do this with any other mag as you never know when you’ll drop one or something goes wrong.

As always, proper preparation and contingencies alleviate almost all problems.

They decided they want it to ride over. Pretty much all the explanation needed.

The body of the mag seems to have been the issue on a lot of mags and they are fixing them. I wouldn’t expect the body of the mag to change over time.

Personally I’m getting six AX mags that feed properly. Three will be used and the other three will sit on the shelf or in the case in the event of issues arising. I already do this with any other mag as you never know when you’ll drop one or something goes wrong.

As always, proper preparation and contingencies alleviate almost all problems.
Been following this for a while, I own an AT with an interest in getting an AT-X in the future, great guns and historically without equal.

Just to summarize. On the AT-X, AI wanted the bolts to override the magazine follower on an empty magazine so they change the chassis geometry and therefore created a potential feed issue and now it is a magazine problem?

Happy to be corrected.

Last edited:
Reactions: A.Huggy
Been following this for a while, I own an AT with an interest in getting an AT-X in the future, great guns and historically without equal.

Just to summarize. On the AT-X, AI wanted the bolts to override the magazine follower on an empty magazine so they change the chassis geometry and therefore created a potential feed issue and now it is a magazine problem?

Happy to be corrected.

I’d say at *worst* they made the system more susceptible to out of spec mags.

There will be 100 opinions what people think of it.

But, three brand new AX mags I bought run perfectly fine. And AI has been fixing or replacing any that don’t.

So, after that, it’s just complaining to complain about an issue that is resolved asap if it happens.

Also, and I’m speaking absolutely hypocritically and in no way, shape, or form have any info from AI.

In the event that the small change makes the system more susceptible to a mag that is *out of spec* (meaning it’s bad already), there’s likely no way to have known that. You can only test so much. And it doesn’t make much sense to force a mag out of spec and test it…..because….it’s out of spec.

Now, if you have come across a situation where your past rifles would overcome this magazine flaw, that was basically incidental and not by design. Probably didn’t even know it was possible either way.

Now, let’s say it’s identified it’s more susceptible….this isn’t even remotely close to a recall or anything like that. A bad batch of mags got out and they are fixing or replacing. That’s all you can ask for.

If they decide later to change the geometry back, well, that’s just how it goes sometimes.

Opinions otherwise would basically be saying they should have designed a rifle to work with mags that are essentially broken.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I don't think so based on Scott's comments in IM and I think here, there was discussion at AI and disagreement on if the bolt should be stopped by the follower or ride over it.

This is my only AI so I can't confirm behavior on other platforms with the same mags.

I don't think so based on Scott's comments in IM and I think here, there was discussion at AI and disagreement on if the bolt should be stopped by the follower or ride over it.

This is my only AI so I can't confirm behavior on other platforms with the same mags.

The bolt stops on the AX and AT. It doesn’t on the AT-X. Have owned and still have several here. You have to notch the rear inside corner of the follower for an AT or AX bolt to ride over an empty mag.

So, either the geometry/height was changed, or mags were changed. And it wasn’t the mags AFAIK.

The bolt stops on the AX and AT. It doesn’t on the AT-X. Have owned and still have several here. You have to notch the rear inside corner of the follower for an AT or AX bolt to ride over an empty mag.

So, either the geometry/height was changed, or mags were changed. And it wasn’t the mags AFAIK.
Bought my AX in 2018 and the bolt never stopped on any empty mags. But it never had a feeding issue either like the AT-X.

Interesting. I haven’t handled an AX or AT that does without the follower notched.

Probably 20 rifles. Guess that’s was too small a sample size.

So, never mind lol.

Reactions: Lonely Raven
@Scott Seigmund

Small suggesting for future short nvg rail production:

Keep the rear the same length and contour as the long rail. I picked up a short to run 1.25” without turning barrel to 1.20. Since the only part that touches is further away from action during recoil.

The area where there is a gap is where I rest my thumb at times when grabbing front of rail.

I’d imagine others do as well. Not a huge deal. But seems like easy way to give end user more mounting options.

If this was already mentioned, I apologize. There’s a ton of posts here and I may have missed it.
If I understand you correctly, you would like the short bridge to be able to came back to the receiver with no gap as on the full length bridge?

-Scott

Happy to be corrected.
NO! The magazine positioning in the AT-X mirrors that of the AX. I stated in an earlier post that the bolt may or may not hold open on an empty magazine on the AT-X and AX series rifles. This is dependent primarily on the magazine. Some will hold the bolt open and some will not.

The feeding problem is well covered in previous posts.

-Scott

Reactions: seansmd
The short bridge was always intended to be used in the middle to forward positions. If a zero gap is desired, the full length bridge will give you that.

-Scott

Makes sense. The short rail *seems* to allow a 1.25” barrel to but run (as it’s further out that it touches when moved a bit) and still give a “handguard” as many of us use an nvg rail for.

Seems like keeping the rear geometry the same as the long would provide users with more flexible options via just having that extra 1/8” or so needed to reach the rear mounting holes.

Personally for me, no big deal. I’m just gonna toss it on mill and take of a little on the rear. It’s a tool that’s gonna get beat all to shit at matches anyway.

NO! The magazine positioning in the AT-X mirrors that of the AX. I stated in an earlier post that the bolt may or may not hold open on an empty magazine on the AT-X and AX series rifles. This is dependent primarily on the magazine. Some will hold the bolt open and some will not.

The feeding problem is well covered in previous posts.

-Scott

Thanks for clarification. I’ll delete my assumption posts. I just happened to get ones that it stops on.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138

I have a AXMC with a 6.5CM and 300win mag barrels, mags, and bolt combo. None of my mags induce bolt stop. Never have and I have owned the rifle since brand new for 7 years. I have about 10 mags in total (5 each). So I have been following this thread thinking are all 10 of my mags out of spec? Never have had any feeding issues whatsoever so it hasn’t been a problem.

I have a AXMC with a 6.5CM and 300win mag barrels, mags, and bolt combo. None of my mags induce bolt stop. Never have and I have owned the rifle since brand new for 7 years. I have about 10 mags in total (5 each). So I have been following this thread thinking are all 10 of my mags out of spec? Never have had any feeding issues whatsoever so it hasn’t been a problem.

My AXMC will stop the bolt with some brand new mags and not with others. 300NM/338LM/300WM/300PRC/6.5CM/.308. I've got the mag well adapter for SA mags, AXSR mags (no adapter), AX mags, AW mags, basically every compatible mag known to man...no rhyme or reason to the bolt stop function, it's all over the place. I just make them all non-bolt-stop mags for consistency.

@Scott Seigmund

I have an 2014 AT & 2018 AX. Not a AT-X so apologies if this isn’t the right place, however there is a conversation going on.

I do get occasional mis-feeds in both rifles. I’ve always assumed I’m short stroking or something and never paid too much attention to the mags or looking at the issue. (I don’t shoot matches and my life doesn’t depend on this rifle) With this thread for shits and giggles I decided to look at all my mags. 3 x AX and 3 x AT.

Loading up with 6.5 Creedmoor 3 x are perfect (all rounds sit square and level), 2 x show an issue and 1 ever so slight.

Now I’m not expecting AI to replace my mags as they are old.

However would you or anyone else be kind enough to post a DIY fix for mags. Which bits need to be bent or expanded and how etc.

Attachments

• B3A2327F-2779-4553-B7F5-5C497E7875B9.jpeg
    B3A2327F-2779-4553-B7F5-5C497E7875B9.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 3C6C7D37-38C4-4745-AAC2-1405005B53B6.jpeg
    3C6C7D37-38C4-4745-AAC2-1405005B53B6.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 75
  • 2C88B7FE-ECE6-45D9-801F-ABC6D17FA7A0.jpeg
    2C88B7FE-ECE6-45D9-801F-ABC6D17FA7A0.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Reactions: seansmd

Ya. Apparently it’s not a design feature. Kinda interesting though.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
To anyone (I remember someone here was) that was asking about the chassis, this was just posted on their Facebook page. Says August.

Attachments

• 03CA2444-CB2F-4B25-8C4D-2DD758A39CC0.png
    03CA2444-CB2F-4B25-8C4D-2DD758A39CC0.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 127
Will you be using rifle on barricades and bags?

If not, IMO, the bone stock AT with folder is the best practical/tactical field on the planet.
You aren't the first person I've heard say this, what about the AT/AW stock is so good for field shooting?
I'd have thought a chassis would perform every bit as well.

No disagreeing, curious to know your thoughts.

You aren't the first person I've heard say this, what about the AT/AW stock is so good for field shooting?

More maneuverable and lower center of gravity than the AX without the hump in front of magwell.

I think it's a cost/benefit argument he's making. If you're not shooting off a lot of props, then an AT/AW will serve just as well (not any better), and it can be had used, to lower the cost.

More maneuverable and lower center of gravity than the AX without the hump in front of magwell.
I can certainly appreciate that but I got the impression you think the AT is better as a field rifle than the AT-X, am I miss reading your post or is there something inherently different in a field rifle vs a comp rifle in your opinion?

I'm going to start a new thread to save derailing this one.
LOL! that's not what I meant (sorry if it came off that way). What I meant to say more succinctly, was that Fenix thinks the AT-X rides better on barricades because of the lower CoG (which it does). I suspect Fenix's definition of "field shooting" equates to "field course of fire" (though I may be completely off) and means barricades, tripods, cow feeder fences, etc.. And your definition of field shooting is laying on your belly (right?).

So, cross talk in that manner. In that the older AT/AW is just as good a gun for laying on your belly in the field, as the new AT-X. And if you're not going to be shooting off of barricades (and mostly on your belly) the AI/AW may be a better option cost/availability wise.

Then again, maybe I'm the one getting crossed up with understanding the question...