• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Picture Thread

Who has experience with the AT in both thumbhole and AX stock configuration? I like the classic look with the thumbhole skins but something about the AT LE configuration attracts me. Not sure if I really need the extra adjustability and more fasteners of the AX stock though.
I have an AX and an AT with thumbhole skins, so this isn’t exactly the comparo you wanted. Hopefully it’ll help, though.

Keep in mind that I shoot from a bench or tripod, not prone.

The quick adjustments on the AX are nice, but you can add a quick adjust buttplate AX-style to the AT (up/down/cant, not LOP).

For me the biggest diff is the folding side and especially the way my bag works with the butt. On the bench, at least, a regular bag works well with an AX. Tuck it right in before the hook.

The AT thumbhole is still a bit of a puzzle for me to use a bag gracefully. I have been tucking it in the big hook area…it’s a really tall gap. Seems like my bags are either too short or too tall, my bipod is too high or too short, and my bag hand can interfere just a little with the shooting hand sometimes. Using the bottom of the AT hook forces me to crank the bipod up way too high. I’d need a darn baby highchair lol.

I think the AW’s much lower gap in the hook area would be better for rear bags. Plus it’s flat vs the AT’s curved thing.

Maybe when prone this is a non-issue?

I probably need to goof with it more. A lot more. But any tips with rear bags and the AT would be appreciated.

Reactions: Mauser48
I have an AX and an AT with thumbhole skins, so this isn’t exactly the comparo you wanted. Hopefully it’ll help, though.

Keep in mind that I shoot from a bench or tripod, not prone.

The quick adjustments on the AX are nice, but you can add a quick adjust buttplate AX-style to the AT (up/down/cant, not LOP).

For me the biggest diff is the folding side and especially the way my bag works with the butt. On the bench, at least, a regular bag works well with an AX. Tuck it right in before the hook.

The AT thumbhole is still a bit of a puzzle for me to use a bag gracefully. I have been tucking it in the big hook area…it’s a really tall gap. Seems like my bags are either too short or too tall, my bipod is too high or too short, and my bag hand can interfere just a little with the shooting hand sometimes. Using the bottom of the AT hook forces me to crank the bipod up way too high. I’d need a darn baby highchair lol.

I think the AW’s much lower gap in the hook area would be better for rear bags. Plus it’s flat vs the AT’s curved thing.

Maybe when prone this is a non-issue?

I probably need to goof with it more. A lot more. But any tips with rear bags and the AT would be appreciated.
That is helpful. Rear bag placement is something that I was keeping in mind. Looks to be limited space on the standard AT. I have a family member I could probably get an actual AT LE from so I was considering it. Or just picked up a used fixed stock AT and do a conversion.

Nice day at the range with my AXSR in 300 Nm

Attachments

• IMG_4455.jpeg
    IMG_4455.jpeg
    725.6 KB · Views: 110
Who has experience with the AT in both thumbhole and AX stock configuration? I like the classic look with the thumbhole skins but something about the AT LE configuration attracts me. Not sure if I really need the extra adjustability and more fasteners of the AX stock though.

Really we’re just comparing a fully adjustable stock vs the thumbhole. Which as noted above you set and it lives there forever anyways. I fold my stock to clean and what not or pull the barrel. So although I have thumbscrews on my cheek piece I still rarely remove it

My AXMC had a much higher feel to it then my AT or ATX does. The AX on the AT should have a similar feel to the ATX I would think.

Plus the AT thumbhole is the sexy sister to the AW

The AT with an AX looks like two second cousins who were left alone to long in Mississippi

This’ll prolly piss off a bunch of people:
The AT thumb hole is difficult to use with a rear bag, mostly because of he big goofy D shaped hook.

I always figured they were trying to sell monopods or something….

This is why the first thing I did when I bought my AT was put a set old AICS butt skins on it.

IMG_3740.jpeg

I came to my AT already owning many transgender rifles- I have been running AICSs on everything since 2003 or 04.

IMG_3457.jpeg

Note the one AT chassis in this picture has early butt skins on it. That’s a 1959 US marked 22LR 40X that I’ve vandalized, BTW.

I’m fortunate because 99% of my shooting (other than load development and zeroing) is prone on this big square 1000 yard range.

IMG_3909.jpeg

IMG_4092.jpeg

Sure, I’m using the same old dopey bunny ear bag and I run a Harris and the exact same scope bases and rings on everything but all this shit has all been working for me on this range for the past twenty years.

IMG_6718.jpeg

Okay boomer….

That is helpful. Rear bag placement is something that I was keeping in mind. Looks to be limited space on the standard AT. I have a family member I could probably get an actual AT LE from so I was considering it. Or just picked up a used fixed stock AT and do a conversion.
Just so we’re clear, I have a full AX rifle. The AX buttstock on the AT may not have the same dimensions, re: distance from the buttstock to the ground when on the AX rifle.

But anyway, this graphic shows what I am attempting to explain. You can see the quite different amount of bag that appears above the blue line.

A76C0DC0-52C3-4CA9-90B3-C99908B88A64.jpeg
C537A9C9-E7B9-47A8-AACF-F5292D65A814.jpeg

The blue line is at the screw hole as I believe the grips are pretty much the same. And yes, I faked the thumbhole. Pics from Eurooptic.

The AT thumb hole is difficult to use with a rear bag, mostly because of he big goofy D shaped hook.

This is why the first thing I did when I bought my AT was put a set old AICS butt skins on it.

View attachment 8404235

I came to my AT already owning many transgender rifles- I have been running AICSs on everything since 2003 or 04.

View attachment 8404236

Note the one AT chassis in this picture has early butt skins on it. That’s a 1959 US marked 22LR 40X that I’ve vandalized, BTW.

I’m fortunate because 99% of my shooting (other than load development and zeroing) is prone on this big square 1000 yard range.

View attachment 8404239

View attachment 8404242

Sure, I’m using the same old dopey bunny ear bag and I run a Harris and the exact same scope bases and rings on everything but all this shit has all been working for me on this range for the past twenty years.

View attachment 8404256

Okay boomer….
That butt end definitely looks more usable than the current AT thumbhole.

Yes! These rear skins are what I was saying would probably solve my issue.

Just so we’re clear, I have a full AX rifle. The AX buttstock on the AT may not have the same dimensions, re: distance from the buttstock to the ground when on the AX rifle.

But anyway, this graphic shows what I am attempting to explain. You can see the quite different amount of bag that appears above the blue line.

View attachment 8404273View attachment 8404274

The blue line is at the screw hole as I believe the grips are pretty much the same. And yes, I faked the thumbhole. Pics from Eurooptic.
From what I can tell the AX stock on an AT would line up in right about the same spot. I'd probably have to run the high action rail on an AT for the cheek weld to be right. Not sure if that's still lower than the AX rail.

I bought an AT because I loved the old school look and the price ,and sold it to buy an AX for the adjustability .
you have to choose one or buy both since they are still available or wait for the new ATXC .
but I am pretty sure that when the ATXC will arrive (perhaps between 2025 and 2035…) you will find plenty of both in the PX .

I prefer the regular AT front end as opposed to the AX. I don't really need all the attachment points. Also don't really like the more comp style chassis of the ATXC. I think a gun store by me usually has a few AI's maybe I'll go take a look.

Practically, once you set the LOP, it rarely changes much so all the knobs, latches and crap are fairly unhelpful for the most part. People FROTH over complicated, heavy, sharp edged knobs and locks... The smooth plastic skins with rounded edges, allen key adjustments and slip in shims for LOP... That was peak AI.
I hate all the stabby bits that dig into you and get caught on everything for a rifle being used in the field carried, slung etc,

I had the opportunity to play with an AT-X next to an AT and felt the AT was but far the nicer handling rifle, if it was a field shooting/hunting rifle it was the easy choice. The AT-X however had much better features for a race gun, and it was really obvious.

I prefer the regular AT front end as opposed to the AX. I don't really need all the attachment points. Also don't really like the more comp style chassis of the ATXC. I think a gun store by me usually has a few AI's maybe I'll go take a look.
As I just posted above, playing with the rifles next to each other definitely shows the strengths and weaknesses of each model.
If you can, I'd say try playing with the rifles before buying.

Reactions: Mauser48
As I just posted above, playing with the rifles next to each other definitely shows the strengths and weaknesses of each model.
If you can, I'd say try playing with the rifles before buying.
Yeah I need to get my hands on some. I shot an AT years ago with the standard stock configuration but don't remember much about it. I think I'm still leaning towards thumbhole. Can always add the AX stock if I really want to. That AT LE in the PX was damn sexy and got me thinkin.

I hate all the stabby bits that dig into you and get caught on everything for a rifle being used in the field carried, slung etc,

I had the opportunity to play with an AT-X next to an AT and felt the AT was but far the nicer handling rifle, if it was a field shooting/hunting rifle it was the easy choice. The AT-X however had much better features for a race gun, and it was really obvious.
Yes, I agree the AT is a far more sleek and comfortable rifle for the field than an AX. Especially in cold weather.

(Never held an AT-X, but it still has lots of exposed metal)

are you saying that's what you paid for those guns and they were unfired? or thats what someone was asking?

That's what someone was asking. It was a personal collection from someone at HEAT. Not sure if they've sold or not..

One of the bigger differences I feel between the AW and AT/ATX is that the AW is a much smoother cycling gun.
I guarantee if you run Cherry balms bolt balm you will never feel a smoother action in your life !

Last edited:
Reactions: HKSniper11B
I guarantee if you run Cherry balms bolt butter you will never feel a smoother action in your life !
I've been partial to the Birchwood Rig Gun Grease, but I'd be interested in trying that out.

I got a sniper instructor who tells me he's got a tub of this Rig grease and swears by it in his MK22.

I'd also like to try out Lucas Red n Tacky, although while I hear it's too sticky for a sniper rifle in the field, I hear it's a good choice for competition rifles. Also curious about Lucas Gun Grease too.

Any current/former B4s, 0317s, or other former snipers got a favorite grease they run? I'm curious too what the Accuracy International has been partial to.

I guarantee if you try the bolt butter you will never go back. I will post a pic of the stuff when I get home. Hopefully it’s still available, last time I ordered the cherry balms black rifle lube it literally was about 7 months before I got the order. They sent me 2 extra bottles for the inconvenience. I run that black rifle lube on my bolt lugs.

1AB16DCE-08AE-4B20-AA65-350B1B393614.jpeg

Been using this for as long as I can remember…started back when it was like $5~ for the tube. Use it on all of my systems (Glocks, LMTs, AXSR). Shit is great and fits in the spare parts kit in the pack.

I also have a tube of the RIG and it’s good too, I just don’t use it as much (no particular reason, just more as backup).

EDIT: umm I mean TW25 sucks. Don’t buy it. The price is too high and I don’t need it going higher. umm it’s terrible don’t use it. 😂

View attachment 8404471
Been using this for as long as I can remember…started back when it was like $5~ for the tube. Use it on all of my systems (Glocks, LMTs, AXSR). Shit is great and fits in the spare parts kit in the pack.

I also have a tube of the RIG and it’s good too, I just don’t use it as much (no particular reason, just more as backup).

EDIT: umm I mean TW25 sucks. Don’t buy it. The price is too high and I don’t need it going higher. umm it’s terrible don’t use it. 😂

wow $13 an ounce now

I’ve been using 80-90wt after I discovered a buddy of mine was using it on the bolt of his 50BMG AI ELR.

I got down behind his rifle to check out his new scope and I could smell 80-90….

I’ve been using it on my AT and it’s made a difference.

Don’t use any with Motorctaft Friction Additive….

I’ve been using 80-90wt after I discovered a buddy of mine was using it on the bolt of his 50BMG AI ELR.

I got down behind his rifle to check out his new scope and I could smell 80-90….

If you want to keep using gear oil, but also wish that your time spent behind the rifle was less odoriferous, they make grape scented gear oil.

1714058418405.jpeg

I use Slip 2k Extreme Weapons Grease, which is comparable in price to TW25. However, I have only used maybe 0.1-0.2 oz in 5k rounds of the 1.5oz jar. When I did use TW25, I noticed I needed to use much more to feel the same amount of lubricity, and I burned through 3/4 of the TW25 in about 2k rounds.

you couldnt pay me enough to put gear oil on ANYTHING i own, much less a gun.

i burned my clothes after rebuilding my AX-15 and clutch/bearings. Guess what it used as fluid? you guessed it!......

Frank Stallone!

Reactions: jff_stvns
Dude it’s insane. I really hesitated with the last purchase. It’s good but holy fuck, I’ll probably just use a mixture of my tears and bacon grease if money gets tight rather than buy again at that price.

i mean, its hard to convince me any of these low volume, sold by the ounce "grease" and "lubes" is ANY better than these that can be had for about 50 cents an ounce.

[843]_10005_(MFR-1).jpg

CIT-5438-14OZ-1.jpg

i mean, its hard to convince me any of these low volume, sold by the ounce "grease" and "lubes" is ANY better than these that can be had for about 50 cents an ounce.

[843]_10005_(MFR-1).jpg

CIT-5438-14OZ-1.jpg
You could at least step up to Mobilgrease 28…

I see yours is a 14. Anybody know what year they started fluting the bolts on these? It seems most I've seen have been fluted.
I’m not positive but they started making SFP bolts in 2015. All SFP bolts I’ve seen have been fluted so I’m assuming that’s when they started

AW, Arctic Warfare, bolts were fluted during cold weather trial and testing. Gets the Ice out of the way.
Sorry I assumed he meant on the AT rifles

I know previous ones were fluted. My AXMC was a 13 and fluted

Since we’re on it. Are all AW bolts fluted? Think I’ve seen the same bolt in mine in AW models as well

Reactions: Criver600
you couldnt pay me enough to put gear oil on ANYTHING i own, much less a gun.

i burned my clothes after rebuilding my AX-15 and clutch/bearings. Guess what it used as fluid? you guessed it!......

Frank Stallone!
Try track down a tube of Aeroshell 33, you'll be in for a real treat with that stuff.

Try track down a tube of Aeroshell 33, you'll be in for a real treat with that stuff.
The 5% molybdenum disulphide version appears to have been Aeroshell 33MS, now Aeroshell 64. I'm trying to remember if there is a reason to not use a molybdenum disulphide grease on firearms, to include AR's.

The 5% molybdenum disulphide version appears to have been Aeroshell 33MS, now Aeroshell 64. I'm trying to remember if there is a reason to not use a molybdenum disulphide grease on firearms, to include AR's.
You absolutely should run Molybdenum based lubes on firearms, and wet patch barrels with it. I have a very long writeup regarding the use of it for the HK MR762 platform. Shooter's Choice FP10 and Jeany's Gun Lube both are Moly based. Match grade barrels respond well to it. And no reason not to run it on a bolt as a grease or lube.