• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes ACOG vs Leupold 1.5-5 MR/T

1stIDvet

Non-sniper
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2009
Illinois
I was just wondering if anyone on here has used both. One of these will be going on my M1A. Wondering would be good for a quick acquisition on a mid range target. Ive used a 4x ACOG many of times, thinking a 1.5-5 would be better with adjusting the magnification if i wanted. any insight would help. Thanks. The rifle will be used for hunting and target shooting.

Re: ACOG vs Leupold 1.5-5 MR/T

If your going to use the Acog on the M1a take the eye relief in consideration,you have to get right on the ACOG,eye relief is 3"?
The Glass is outstanding on the ACOGS,smokes the Mk4 glass any day.
The MRT scope would work better on the M1a i think.good luck.

The M1A will be going on a SAGE or TROY stock, eye relief wont be an issue. Didnt know about the ACOG's glass being that good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stIDvet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M1A will be going on a SAGE or TROY stock, eye relief wont be an issue. Didnt know about the ACOG's glass being that good. </div></div>
All the ACOGS ive ever owned have had glass like Zeiss optics,very clear.

the ones i have used, when i was in the Army were really nice, but i have never looked through a MK4. Would just assume the MK4 would be more clear.

Buddies avop makes looking through a MK4 like looking through a wall.

Scott

Agreed on the ACOG's glass. I thought I would just get an ACOG to put on my 223 was a decent deal and liked what i saw when briefly looking through them at shows or those who use them while working.
Well after owning my first one I purchased a Leupy 1.5-5 VxIII with the Illum reticle for my DPMS 308. Well after trying it for a bit I sold it and bought another ACOG. Yes you lose a little bit in regards to very close shooting/speed.
The positives I see in the ACOG is reduced size, incredibly clear and sharp. Smaller sized so weight is reduced no batteries needed for Illum. An kinda cool that they put verses on the side of some of'm.
Only thing I wish they would do is make some sort of cover for the glass. I had the GGG mount with covers but it sits to high for my liking.

Ghogs Nightmare- Thanks for the info, that helps alot. which model acog did u use on your DPMS .308?

Buy an Accupoint 1-4x. You get the glass and reticle of an Acog (less the BDC), with the variable magnification of the Leupy.

The 1-4x with Green Triangle rules. True 1x and clear as air glass.

Oh, and it's cheaper than the Acog too.

If you are Old and can't focus clearly on the cross hair the Leupold might be a better option but I am extremely impressed with my TA-01 ACOG. Wish I could see the cross hair better.

I sampled the ACOG on a TROY stocked SOCOM 16 - it was OK, but not great.
The short eye relief was a problem and it was like looking through a straw.
TROY%20005.jpg

I decided on a Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm MR/T M2 with illuminated SPR for my MK14 SEI Mod 1.
I have not had the chance to shoot further than 100 yards yet, but I am very happy with my choice so far.

Suppressed-MK14-Mod1.jpg

Thanks for all the info everyone. Maybe i should just buy a couple stocks and a couple optics and weed out what i like...

I'm going to have to go with the Mark 4 1.5-5. I've shot using both on a AR-15 SPR type configuration and think the MK4 is a lot more versatile. I like the reticle on the leupy a lot better too.

I would stick to the Acog. I have both and settled on the Acog. It is faster getting on sight.

Eye relief is short on the 4x acog. I ditched mine since I had it hit my eye a couple of times. I tried the MR/T 1.5-5x for a while and it was good, but daytime reticle pick up was slow to me. I ended up with the TA33R-8 and so far I'm happy as can be (I used them on an AR15 FWIW). BUT, the field of view is a bit narrow compared to the Leupold and the TA31 series.

TA31F (4x)
Eye Relief (in) <span style="font-weight: bold">1.50</span>
Field of View @ 100yrds (ft) 36.80

TA33R-8 (3x)
Eye Relief (in) 1.90
Field of View @ 100yrds (ft) <span style="font-weight: bold">19.30</span>

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stIDvet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the info everyone. Maybe i should just buy a couple stocks and a couple optics and weed out what i like... </div></div>

1st,

Where are you in IL?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creature</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to have to go with the Mark 4 1.5-5. I've shot using both on a AR-15 SPR type configuration and think the MK4 is a lot more versatile. I like the reticle on the leupy a lot better too. </div></div>

I believe the MK4 would be more versatile also, as far as adjusting the power but is it as quick as the ACOG on finding the target?

I'm currently using a TA33-9 on my M1A in a Troy MCS. Never noticed eye relief to be much of a concern. I was suspect of the chevron reticle but after using it I'm sold. Very easy to use. Same with the bullet drop compensator is pretty much dead on.

I have used both and still own both actually.

On an M1A, I would go with the Loopy.

well thanks for everyone's input, Ive made my decision on going with the Leupold, If it turns out i don't like it ill just sell it and buy the ACOG. Thanks for your help!

<span style="font-weight: bold">TA-01B</span>....From LIBERTY OPTICS
308Ap4rightside.jpg

Here it is mounted...I've switched it from the GGG to a much nicer LARUE. As i said before VERY clear and bright. The crosshairs are fine for some but I dont have an issue seeing'm with or without light.

Check out the Nightforce 1-4x24 also. Good compact package with good eye relief. True 1x and nice glass. Knobs and reticle of your choice.
PB230393.jpg

PB230394.jpg

Ghogsnightmare- that is a nice setup you have there. I wish i could have both to use. thats not the case tho, I do have some time before I buy an optic for my m1a, thanks for your information and pic. Do you hunt with that setup? If you do at what distances?

Rob01- Thanks for the idea og the nightfore, just did some research on them. I now have a 3rd optic to choose. Do you also hunt with that setup?

1st,
I can't in PA but it was intended to be toted around for Boar. Just have to get the travel plans set up for that....anyone need help depopulating some pigs???

I would love to take my M1A boar hunting. We do not have any here in IL tho, but we have coyote and there season doesn't end.

If you are going to do point and shoot or throw a gun in your trunk for defensive use I would use the ACOG. It is durable and gets the job done but it is not known for pinpoint accuracy.

If you want to do a little more accurate shooting use the Leupold but it has a few more moving parts and is a hardy scope but not as battle proven as the ACOG.

If you are wanting to build a KISS gun with a 3X optic I recommend this setup.

ACOG TA33 w/ Larue mount
4027825787_4b05558a15_b.jpg

Take a close look at the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x (or 1.25-4x to save a bit of cash).

Great glass like the Acogs, adjustable like the Leupy.

I have the 1-4x and it rules.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a close look at the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x (or 1.25-4x to save a bit of cash).

Great glass like the Acogs, adjustable like the Leupy.

I have the 1-4x and it rules. </div></div>

I have been, there taking more interest to me now. Have u hunted with yours?

Well, bought an ACOG, if i dont like it ill just put it on an AR10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stIDvet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, bought an ACOG, if i dont like it ill just put it on an AR10. </div></div>

I think you made a good call. If it isn't perfect for your needs then put it onthe AR-10 and have an excuse to buy another scope (I like your style).

BTW which ACOG?

Personally I have to pay for my $hit so I went with the Leupold 1.5 - 5 in the new Larue 158
IMG_1443_WM.jpg

IMG_1441_WM.jpg

I will be digging into the U.S. Optics SN4 with the new C2 reticle to see if that will fit my needs.

FWIW,
Stu

From my experiences-get the NF 1-4 w/FC2. Another is the Trijicon 1-4 w/green. You will like the true 1x and the 4x option. Great eye relief an a quick reticle. If no bdc is wanted-get the trijicon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Good Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stIDvet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, bought an ACOG, if i dont like it ill just put it on an AR10. </div></div>

I think you made a good call. If it isn't perfect for your needs then put it onthe AR-10 and have an excuse to buy another scope (I like your style).

BTW which ACOG? </div></div>

Bought the TA01 from a friend. I will more than likely buy another scope just because I can and will mess with both until I figure out which one I shoot better with.