• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Actions With AW Cut

anon

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Which action manufacturer that sells AW cut actions, says or even guarantees, that their AW cut action will feed reliably in a particular AI chassis with an AI AW, AX, or AT-X magazine?

Any?

I believe CDG was designed from the ground up to run AW mags.

But I tend to agree with Stan above - AI is your best bet for reliability and AW mags.

Reactions: lash
I've got AI, but, I'd like a short upper AT-X, for a 16 1/2" barrel, and it seems a short upper AT-X AICS is a now solution and the short upper AT-X will never be a US civilian sales item.

And, selling AW cut actions, it'd seem some manufacturer should have actually confirmed their action works with an AI chassis, and stands behind that application.

I believe CDG was designed from the ground up to run AW mags.

But I tend to agree with Stan above - AI is your best bet for reliability and AW mags.
And yet, my semi-vintage Stiller TAC AW action has never, yes never, been unreliable using only AW mags its whole life of many barrels. Almost all in .260.

I don’t know for sure how many barrels, as I’ve used up three myself and am on the fourth. Each getting in excess of 3300 good rounds, with one at 4400-ish when it crapped out. And the action was used in comps for a few years by the guy I bought it from before that.

As to whether or not it can be properly mated successfully with an AI chassis, that’s solely on the person that fits the action to the chassis.

That’s why I cannot imagine any action manufacturer being so silly as to guarantee that their action will work in another manufacturer’s chassis. It’s all about fitment and adjustment from the beginning. Something that they have no control over.

I've got AI, but, I'd like a short upper AT-X, for a 16 1/2" barrel, and it seems a short upper AT-X AICS is a now solution and the short upper AT-X will never be a US civilian sales item.

And, selling AW cut actions, it'd seem some manufacturer should have actually confirmed their action works with an AI chassis, and stands behind that application.
You re probably going to have a hard time finding a manufacturer than guarantees 100% function with a mag they dont make themselves.

I have a Fuzion that i have ran with AWs using a Hawkins DBM without tweaks to the mags for 6.5 CM

The short fore end problem can be solved with a mill pretty fast if you're after function and absolutely need to run that short barrel.

Why aren't you asking AI which actions will function with their chassis? There are only a handful for action cut for the AW mag but there seems to be hundreds of stock and chassis options currently on the market.

I run an ARC CDG action with AI AW mags and have no issues, but I have it mounted in a ARC Xylo chassis. This combo is smooth as butter. Like hitting the "easy" button.

Saying "AI chassis" is incorrect for what you're looking for. Option 1, buy the short upper version of the AT-X AICS chassis, which is a Rem 700 SA chassis and try your luck with one of the following action: CDG/Fuzion/737. Option 2, shorten your AI AT-X rail to fit the 16.5" barrel. I have a 18.5" barrel on a long uper version of the AT-X AICS chassis and it looks great but it doesn't ballance well. I gave up on the AW mags and just run AICS mags.

Zermatt TL-3....I also run a CDG in an XYLO chassis with AW mags and 0 issues...I think any action cut for AW mags will have no issues in the AI chassis as long as the mag sits high enough in the chassis.

Zermatt TL-3....I also run a CDG in an XYLO chassis with AW mags and 0 issues...I think any action cut for AW mags will have no issues in the AI chassis as long as the mag sits high enough in the chassis.
Yes. It’s all about fitment between the action, chassis and magazine.

Reactions: LR1845
Other than buying an actual AI AW/AT/AX308, with all the action/cartridge/chassis/stock/bottom metal combinations that are possible, I don't expect any manufacturer to guarantee reliability feeding from AW mags unless you are purchasing a complete rifle from them as there is no economical way they could test all component combinations that an end user might assemble.

AI originally intended the AW mags to run in their rifles which are a 3 lug action with a larger than R700 bolt diameter that has a 6 o'clock lug that sits flush with the bolt nose, and not many R700 style actions share those design similarities.

That being said, the AW mags can run in AW cut R700 style 2 lug actions but it can sometimes require a little work. Depending on the action and chassis/bottom metal combo you may have to adjust the mag latch height and possibly feed lips for proper feeding and reliability. Some bottom metal and chassis manufacturers offer adjustable mag latches or different length latches.

I have AW mags running reliably in a TL3, Impact, and CDG, but they all required a bit of fine tuning of the mag latch for proper magazine height. Keep in mind the CDG is the only action in that bunch that was designed to be optimized for AW magazines, and it has a larger diameter 3 lug bolt with a 6 o'clock lug-- very similar configuration to an AI AW/AT/AX308.

Yeap , your best chance of running a AW mag is by using a bolt head like a AIAW , so NOT a rem700 2 lug bolt , but a full body dia bolt like a AI .

Reactions: Harman117
Aero Solus is another option. Full diameter bolt body, 3 lugs with one positioned at 6 o'clock during travel... no issues with mine in a stock KRG Bravo (standard latch) and AW mags. This action is a strong value when you buy them at sale prices (~$650).

Ever since I've owned a AI ATX I've been a fan of the double stack mags. I might also add that my Kelbly's Prometheus is technically cut for AICS/AW but I plan on only using AICS. The Prometheus is my favorite action thus far.

Aero solus, LP fuzion, impact 737, Cous De Grace, TL3, Bat TR & Hammerhead, Terminus Zuess, Curtis Valor, and believe the Mac Bros Evo Aics. Oh the Gap tempest too! Combine these with a chassis with adjustable mag latch should allow to tune case head presentation for reliable feeding.

Reactions: MxTexas and LR1845
Why aren't you asking AI which actions will function with their chassis? There are only a handful for action cut for the AW mag but there seems to be hundreds of stock and chassis options currently on the market.

I run an ARC CDG action with AI AW mags and have no issues, but I have it mounted in a ARC Xylo chassis. This combo is smooth as butter. Like hitting the "easy" button.
That’s what I run as well.
ARC CDG + Xylo with AW mags. I like it better than the AI AW I used to own.

Reliable feeding is more than just the action. It's the chassis/stock you choose. I've run AWs behind a TL3, GAP Tempest, and a Lone Peak Fuzion, and all three required tuning the feed lips and raising the mag catch. The problem wasn't with the actions. KRG's standard mag catch is just so dang low that I had to get the extended one and trim it, and even then, a straight walled BRA isn't going to feed perfectly from magazine built for a highly tapered .308.

Learn to tune your magazine feed lips.

Reactions: kthomas
@rothgyr I would second this. When I was setting up my Impact 737 for AW mags, my issues were 50% tuning feed lips and 50% chassis/mag catch related.

Weirder still, my ACC Elite had many problems using AW mags, while the Spuhr chassis (non adjustable mag catch) I'm running now has been flawless.

Making 11 dummy rounds and feeding all 11 over and over again until they all feed perfectly is your friend.

Watch when one doesn't feed.

Is the tip of the bullet crossing the hole and hitting the far side of the chamber edge? Straight wall issue. Fix by grabbing a monkey wrench and opening up the front of the feed feed lips (first 1/4 inch should be sufficient in most cases) just a hair until it doesn't happen any more.

Nose diving? could be the feed lips guiding the bullet down, but more likely the spring needs some umph to raise the round. Pull the follower and stretch the spring accordingly.

Once I tuned my mags, they are the only mags I use. Even on 12 round stages at matches. I'd rather know my mag will feed every single round and single feed the last one from a quiver than have an MDT 12 rounder that I have to muscle the 1st round out of, or an ARC mag with an extension that gums up in dust, or an AICS pattern mag with an extension that bumps barricades and won't feed.

Tuned AWs work, and it's all I use now. The work to tune it is absolutely worth it.

Defiance have their AW cut down pat, my Ruckus has been in a Manners (mini chassis), MPA, XLR Envy Pro, MDT ACC and ACC Elite. None have had adjustable mag catches except the ACC Elite and none have require mag latch tuning or feed lips opened. Cartridges have included BR, BRA and regular SAs.
Several buddies have had the same experience with the Ruckus also which leads me to believe not all AW cuts are equal.

Reactions: st1650
Defiance have their AW cut down pat, my Ruckus has been in a Manners (mini chassis), MPA, XLR Envy Pro, MDT ACC and ACC Elite. None have had adjustable mag catches except the ACC Elite and none have require mag latch tuning or feed lips opened. Cartridges have included BR, BRA and regular SAs.
Several buddies have had the same experience with the Ruckus also which leads me to believe not all AW cuts are equal.
Interesting, I thought the defiance 2 lug would actually be more problematic to feed from AW mags as opposed to the CDG, Terminus and AI 3 lugs actions

Interesting, I thought the defiance 2 lug would actually be more problematic to feed from AW mags as opposed to the CDG, Terminus and AI 3 lugs actions
Well the perk of a 3 lug in AW feeding only seems real if one of the lugs is at 6 o'clock. I'm not sure which of those other than the AI has that.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
It's not as really that unbelievable, a Rem 700 BDL system works on a staggered feed.
I also have a CDG, unfired that I've cycled only a few dummy rounds in. I found the CDG won't seat mags in my XLR Envy Pro (non adjustable catch), but will on my ACC Elite. The Ruckus works in both untouched.