• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Actions ! You asked, we answered

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Knowledge Bomb Edition : Terminus Actions

I had Joel Russo on the podcast to talk Terminus, and Actions in General

who loves you guys more than I do ...

PR1 .308

1642218240687.png

PR2 6GT
    1642218348997.png

I just finished the podcast and enjoyed it and was waiting for the question of swept handle to come up. Why is that a no go I wonder? Really enjoy it on my tempest and the AIs.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
    Awesome podcast……now I regret my bighorn origin build because I have to take the whole rifle apart to change barrels

Awesome podcast……now I regret my bighorn origin build because I have to take the whole rifle apart to change barrels

But you can almost have 2 Origins for the price of one Zeus.

Moving scopes is a PITA.

IMO, the solution is the poor man's barrel swap. Just get another barrel spun up and only hand torque. As described in the podcast. There seems to be good results. Apparently you don't need a lot of torsional torque on the barrel for it to shoot reliably and repeatable.

Reactions: Ty21
    You loosen 2 bolts and tighten two bolts. That's a PITA?

So I assume the set screws just keep the barrel from rotating? Cause your only hand tighting them and like he said the in podcast they don’t go into the barrel

So I assume the set screws just keep the barrel from rotating? Cause your only hand tighting them and like he said the in podcast they don’t go into the barrel

Correct. The set screws do touch the barrel but you're only tightening them 10in/lbs which is enough to stop any rotation. In the podcast he said the set screws aren't hitting the threads, they're hitting a non threaded portion on the barrel. The QC barrels have a different tenon cut that has no threads where those set screws hit.

Correct. The set screws do touch the barrel but you're only tightening them 10in/lbs which is enough to stop any rotation. In the podcast he said the set screws aren't hitting the threads, they're hitting a non threaded portion on the barrel. The QC barrels have a different tenon cut that has no threads where those set screws hit.
    Yeah I know I was just kinda thinking maybe I could just hand tighten my barrels on…… but I think I’d feel better with the set screws

Enjoyed the podcast. With your AI, this new Zeus and all the other updates your doing you may want to consider renaming the podcast. Maybe "Two barrels one butt", goes well with the Frank and Mark show. Oh and the vaccine isn't about covid it's about not making the aliens sick.👽
    Later and hope you have a better year.

Loved this podcast. I switched my main and backup to Apollo’s a year and a half ago. They’ve really become my favorites. Joel is top notch too. His customer service is second to none and I mean that.

So where are the technical specifications? How much more concentric than "insert brand name here" action is this? How much less run out is their? What is the rockwell hardness of various parts? Is the action forged? In the bolt forged? If not way not?

I am listening to the podcast right now. I am switching between it and Timcast IRL.

So far though it would as if a car magazine or podcast said "Today we review the latest 2023 Chevrolet Corvette" and you get "It is a two door Chevy with power windows, AC, automatic transmission and a V8." and your left wondering why they even bothered to write anything at all!

What other guys? What other company. If you can not say it for those of us that are not fanboys why talk about it at all? Again you mention someone from Snipershide but then do not say his name because you do not want to call him out! Then do not mention it at all!

3 Lug bolts have been done by plenty of OEM's not really a new thing. Coned breach, trapezoidal lug, interrupted thread and on and on. Given all the time this podcast took up and all the words used nothing of significance was said. $425 for a second bolt? That is insane!

Terminus's web site is terrible from a prospective customer stand point. Very little clear concise information calling out the specific differences between each model and what set's each model apart from the other.

When he mentions "Mazack" he is talking about Yamazaki Mazak Corporation which is not a specific machine it is a Japanese company that makes high end machining equipment.

I hate when insiders or experts do not say what they should like when the owner of Terminus says (aprox:33:11)" With a barrel from the right people" Joel never tells us who "the right people" are again that is cowardly anti-litigation talk that no one can back up or prove. If you can not say it publicly than you should not say it at all in a public interview! This is not a matter of OPSEC it is a matter of fact versus hyperbole, marketing nonsense and flat out lies. If you can not tell where one and ends than they essential become the same thing. If I went to my transmission shop and asked my transmission guy what parts I need to build a 4L80 that can take 850HP from my LS he will flat out tell me! None of this stupid nonsense of "well if you get the torque converter and frictions from the right people" who exactly are the right people?

This interview high lights what I have said is wrong with this sight and almost all of the sights on the internet and all of the magazines about guns and gun related hobbies! It is like a sandwich made out of ideas and air and nothing of substance like listening to a politician talk! NO matter how much you consume you are left wanting for more for something of substance not just air and empty speech!

Joel should have said you take my action and this barrel machined by this gunsmith and you are guaranteed to get a 1/4MOA result every time! If that is a true statement that can be backed up and is documented. If not it is no better then me telling someone what my opinion is and I am no expert. I have been around real experts and real men that are not afraid to speak the truth though so I know the real deal when I see it or hear it! I still remember what the world was like when men still acted like men when a hand shake or your word was golden!

Maybe in this interview Joel was not at his best it happens to all of us but he did not sound like an "expert" let alone someone I would trust on their word alone. He did not sound as if he was speaking with authority and confidence he felt like he was trying to tap dance around the truth in an awkward manner so that he said nothing that he could be held too!

I am jaded for sure and I do not mean to defame anyone and I apologize if I have offended anyone and do not mean to libel anyone either. I do not know either party above. As a customer of the shooting and gun world, competitor, enthusiast and hobbyist I am tired of being feed sandwiches that have ZERO substance between the slices of bread that are a lot of words with no real substance. That is what we get from teachers, journalists, politicians, preachers and on and on we deserve to have a place that is fact based and zero spin where people say what they mean and mean what they say!

We deserve to have EXPERTS that can speak with authority and can document and back up everything they say. You should be smarter after having listened to an expert in any given field not just entertained! I do not know anything of substance after having listened to this podcast. I want more than just entertainment and the consumption of spare time when I listen to someone that is considered an "expert" in firearms design or manufacturing I expect to learn something I did not know before that I can now implement in my life other wise it is just entertainment.

We did not learn anything of significance about his actions or what makes them substantially better than any of the other actions on the market outside of "not 100 year old 2 lug technology" .

For those not 50 years old and older this will get you up to speed on fat bolts and three lugs or more! It is not definitive it is a quick dirty guide to catch you up!

Cheer's and God Bless!
    If you look at the descriptions of each actions many of your questions are answered. The Zeus for example is 416 stainless, machined. Not a lot of forged stainless steel out there. The bolt is chrome Molly, again machined. Rockwell hardness can be found by just doing a search of those materials. Headspace is guaranteed because Joel checks every receiver and if I remember correctly anything over .0001” is considered out of spec and not sold. Don’t quote me on that. I don’t think it’s uncommon for any manufacturer to not discuss specifics at is their secret sauce. It’s been a while since I’ve listened to this episode so I can’t remember the specifics but if I recall correctly the lawsuit between terminus and Curtis was ongoing or had just been settled so I am sure Joel was being cautious to not expose himself or his company to any further unnecessary litigation and defamation.

No doubt that the off the shelf gun tags are useless other than pretty pictures. Not a lot of substance to be had in a 2000 word article and you always only hear the good stuff.

What I can say as a terminus user and a user of many other actions in the past and present is that the Zeus specifically is the smoothest and best feeling action I’ve ever used. It’s repeatable in the barrel change feature and looks and feels just so much more refined than other actions out there. It’s definitely in the category of an AI and makes a savage look like the trash it is. Nothing revolutionary about a 3 lug, but when most of the popular actions are two lug, this one sets itself apart. I would encourage you to give one a try.

Many of the differences can be found in the descriptions. Some have integrated rails and some have pinned and screw type. Some are full and some are split. Some actions have a titanium option if you want an ultra lightweight rifle. My IQ is pretty low but I have no issue finding the differences.

No manufacturer can guarantee any MOA accuracy reliability. After all, the shooters skill is the largest part of the equation. The rifle system itself paired with a good barrel (think Bartlein) and a good chambering job could easily get down to 1/4 MOA. The barrel is the most important part of the accuracy equation. You have a shit chamber job with garbage tolerances and horrible threads, it doesn’t matter whether it’s an AI a Zeus or a savage, it’s gonna be garbage.

Also, I love reading articles written by people that are so old they used to shoot trex with their mausers. Good overview but really has no substance and talks only about mass produced actions that will inherently have lower tolerances to keep price points lower. Not really relevant when discussing custom actions.

Last edited:
    If you look at the descriptions of each actions many of your questions are answered. The Zeus for example is 416 stainless, machined. Not a lot of forged stainless steel out there. The bolt is chrome Molly, again machined. Rockwell hardness can be found by just doing a search of those materials. Headspace is guaranteed because Joel checks every receiver and if I remember correctly anything over .0001” is considered out of spec and not sold. Don’t quote me on that. I don’t think it’s uncommon for any manufacturer to not discuss specifics at is their secret sauce. It’s been a while since I’ve listened to this episode so I can’t remember the specifics but if I recall correctly the lawsuit between terminus and Curtis was ongoing or had just been settled so I am sure Joel was being cautious to not expose himself or his company to any further unnecessary litigation and defamation.

No doubt that the off the shelf gun tags are useless other than pretty pictures. Not a lot of substance to be had in a 2000 word article and you always only hear the good stuff.

What I can say as a terminus user and a user of many other actions in the past and present is that the Zeus specifically is the smoothest and best feeling action I’ve ever used. It’s repeatable in the barrel change feature and looks and feels just so much more refined than other actions out there. It’s definitely in the category of an AI and makes a savage look like the trash it is. Nothing revolutionary about a 3 lug, but when most of the popular actions are two lug, this one sets itself apart. I would encourage you to give one a try.

Many of the differences can be found in the descriptions. Some have integrated rails and some have pinned and screw type. Some are full and some are split. Some actions have a titanium option if you want an ultra lightweight rifle. My IQ is pretty low but I have no issue finding the differences.

No manufacturer can guarantee any MOA accuracy reliability. After all, the shooters skill is the largest part of the equation. The rifle system itself paired with a good barrel (think Bartlein) and a good chambering job could easily get down to 1/4 MOA. The barrel is the most important part of the accuracy equation. You have a shit chamber job with garbage tolerances and horrible threads, it doesn’t matter whether it’s an AI a Zeus or a savage, it’s gonna be garbage.

Also, I love reading articles written by people that are so old they used to shoot trex with their mausers. Good overview but really has no substance and talks only about mass produced actions that will inherently have lower tolerances to keep price points lower. Not really relevant when discussing custom actions.
    You took that guy seriously? Seriously?

So where are the technical specifications? How much more concentric than "insert brand name here" action is this? How much less run out is their? What is the rockwell hardness of various parts? Is the action forged? In the bolt forged? If not way not?

I am listening to the podcast right now. I am switching between it and Timcast IRL.

So far though it would as if a car magazine or podcast said "Today we review the latest 2023 Chevrolet Corvette" and you get "It is a two door Chevy with power windows, AC, automatic transmission and a V8." and your left wondering why they even bothered to write anything at all!

What other guys? What other company. If you can not say it for those of us that are not fanboys why talk about it at all? Again you mention someone from Snipershide but then do not say his name because you do not want to call him out! Then do not mention it at all!

3 Lug bolts have been done by plenty of OEM's not really a new thing. Coned breach, trapezoidal lug, interrupted thread and on and on. Given all the time this podcast took up and all the words used nothing of significance was said. $425 for a second bolt? That is insane!

Terminus's web site is terrible from a prospective customer stand point. Very little clear concise information calling out the specific differences between each model and what set's each model apart from the other.

When he mentions "Mazack" he is talking about Yamazaki Mazak Corporation which is not a specific machine it is a Japanese company that makes high end machining equipment.

I hate when insiders or experts do not say what they should like when the owner of Terminus says (aprox:33:11)" With a barrel from the right people" Joel never tells us who "the right people" are again that is cowardly anti-litigation talk that no one can back up or prove. If you can not say it publicly than you should not say it at all in a public interview! This is not a matter of OPSEC it is a matter of fact versus hyperbole, marketing nonsense and flat out lies. If you can not tell where one and ends than they essential become the same thing. If I went to my transmission shop and asked my transmission guy what parts I need to build a 4L80 that can take 850HP from my LS he will flat out tell me! None of this stupid nonsense of "well if you get the torque converter and frictions from the right people" who exactly are the right people?

This interview high lights what I have said is wrong with this sight and almost all of the sights on the internet and all of the magazines about guns and gun related hobbies! It is like a sandwich made out of ideas and air and nothing of substance like listening to a politician talk! NO matter how much you consume you are left wanting for more for something of substance not just air and empty speech!

Joel should have said you take my action and this barrel machined by this gunsmith and you are guaranteed to get a 1/4MOA result every time! If that is a true statement that can be backed up and is documented. If not it is no better then me telling someone what my opinion is and I am no expert. I have been around real experts and real men that are not afraid to speak the truth though so I know the real deal when I see it or hear it! I still remember what the world was like when men still acted like men when a hand shake or your word was golden!

Maybe in this interview Joel was not at his best it happens to all of us but he did not sound like an "expert" let alone someone I would trust on their word alone. He did not sound as if he was speaking with authority and confidence he felt like he was trying to tap dance around the truth in an awkward manner so that he said nothing that he could be held too!

I am jaded for sure and I do not mean to defame anyone and I apologize if I have offended anyone and do not mean to libel anyone either. I do not know either party above. As a customer of the shooting and gun world, competitor, enthusiast and hobbyist I am tired of being feed sandwiches that have ZERO substance between the slices of bread that are a lot of words with no real substance. That is what we get from teachers, journalists, politicians, preachers and on and on we deserve to have a place that is fact based and zero spin where people say what they mean and mean what they say!

We deserve to have EXPERTS that can speak with authority and can document and back up everything they say. You should be smarter after having listened to an expert in any given field not just entertained! I do not know anything of substance after having listened to this podcast. I want more than just entertainment and the consumption of spare time when I listen to someone that is considered an "expert" in firearms design or manufacturing I expect to learn something I did not know before that I can now implement in my life other wise it is just entertainment.

We did not learn anything of significance about his actions or what makes them substantially better than any of the other actions on the market outside of "not 100 year old 2 lug technology" .

For those not 50 years old and older this will get you up to speed on fat bolts and three lugs or more! It is not definitive it is a quick dirty guide to catch you up!

Cheer's and God Bless!
    I know you'd rather have a Savage action, wouldn't ya? SAMF.

Not sure what he wants, it's a rifle not a car, the Action is the Motor, not the transmission. That would be more like picking a barrel, picking an Action is much easier today than before unless you are trying to fuss between 2 Lug variants.

What 3 Lug, switch barrel is out there that is competing directly with Terminus ? He invented the Curtis which is not switch barrel unless you don't torque it like the team guys do... but which is switch barrel capable that matches the Zeus spec, how about that increased ejection port for 6.5PRC

So he takes element of some and overlays to this action which is unique in the barrel interface department...

Technical discussion make people glass over, if you start spouting endless numbers nobody cares, only people who are engineers care about the difference between .001 and .0009 , nobody else does.

Over 2 million downloads says I was doing something right in my interviews, sorry you didn't get the technical specs out of it, but that is where you further explore if the information only whets your appetite. I have basically an hour to talk to someone, so I try not to make it dry by repeating numbers all day.

The forum is where you can dig deep, this is the part of the equation most overlooked. See I start the ball rolling in the podcast and then my desire is to drive you here to dig deeper. It's sort of on purpose, if I answered it 100% from just the podcast, you'd never come here to bitch. Or in other cases, they come here to expand on what was said... it's a tactic, a technique to drive users back to the site to keep traffic high. If I answered you the first time every time why would you visit me, you'd to Terminus buy your action and move on until it's done or you have another question.

But I get it, you're better and smarter than I am so. you should start your own site and show me how to do it. The fact nobody has essentially replaced me should be a clue. Even the new guys who aren't 50+ aren't doing it better, unless they are and I missed it, you'd think you'd be there instead of complaining to me here.

Cheer's and God Bless!

IMG_6969.jpeg

• Haha
    Reactions: lash and V-Ref