• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Advice on dealing with a screw up

RegularGuy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2010
Conus/Oconus
Posting this up for a buddy who isn't a member, but could use some help. He had a .22 suppressor transferred to a local gun shop, and then when he went to pick it up (paperwork approved), they informed him that they no longer had an NFA guy there to transfer the can to him. They have now had the can for about 5 months, and refuse to do anything with it. Is there any recourse in this situation? Or is my buddy screwed?

Re: Advice on dealing with a screw up

Call the ATF. They were very helpful on the phone when I had to deal with them to get something fixed.

Call the local ATF field office and have them pay a visit to this FFL. They cannot hold your property hostage.

If they no longer have an NFA guy shouldn't they have transfered all NFA items and paperwork to other dealer.

He should not be in possesion of NFA items anymore.

Yup, I say call the ATF

If the form 4 forms are approved by the BATFE to transfer to him, there is no NFA guy. The store needs to have him fill out a form 4473 if they still have a FFL. He should contact the store and tell them he needs his product and if they can not provide it to him, he is contacting his local BATFE office to assist the store in turning his product over to him.

Sounds like the shop could be in some hot water

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Hineline</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the form 4 forms are approved by the BATFE to transfer to him, there is no NFA guy. The store needs to have him fill out a form 4473 if they still have a FFL. He should contact the store and tell them he needs his product and if they can not provide it to him, he is contacting his local BATFE office to assist the store in turning his product over to him. </div></div>

If he transferred as an individual, they need to make and file a copy of the form 4, and also fill out and file a 4473- the individual form 4 constitutes a background check. The A&D book needs to be ammended to show the transfer of the suppressor.

If he transferred as a trust or corp they need to make and file a copy of the form 4 and also fill out a 4473 and call the NICS to get a background check prior to filing the 4473 with approval #. The A&D book needs to be ammended to show the transfer of the item.

Both of these things they can do if they have an FFL and a working phone. I agree that calling the BATF's local field office might make sense, but I would probably mention that as my only recourse prior to doing it, just as a courtesy.

That might get them moving on it.

Being that a trust or LLC is not a person, you dont have to call a 4473 in. They have a box for that now on the forms. You check that and file it. There is no need to call it in. Some people will argue that the person picking it up should have the 4473 called in, but if you are a person written into the trust and picking up the can unlawfully, that is a federal offense.

So you would have to be plain retarded to take an item that belonged to a trust and use it outside of the laws.