• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on Long Range Setup

Ed Compton

Johnny_Reb
Minuteman
May 1, 2024
United States
I’m looking at buying a new gun for mostly long range use 400yds plus and I’d like some info before I buy. My budget is about $2,200 at the most for the rifle itself. I’m looking at an AR-10 or the Christensen Arms MPR.

1. Is it possible to build a 1MOA AR-10 at this price point? Preferably in .308.

2. If not, would 300 PRC or 7 PRC be more suitable for long range (out to about 1000 yds)? (I would want a long action if I went with the MPR).

3. What would the barrel life be for each of these be?

I’m looking at buying a new gun for mostly long range use 400yds plus and I’d like some info before I buy. My budget is about $2,200 at the most for the rifle itself. I’m looking at an AR-10 or the Christensen Arms MPR.

1. Is it possible to build a 1MOA AR-10 at this price point? Preferably in .308.

2. If not, would 300 PRC or 7 PRC be more suitable for long range (out to about 1000 yds)? (I would want a long action if I went with the MPR).

1. Generally yes. Based on the questions you're asking, no.
2. Are the magnum cartridges Hornady name Precision Rifle Cartridge more suitable for long range than generic 308? Yes
3. 308 Win, 5k+. 300PRC/7PRC, 1500 rounds maybe.

I would get a 6.5 creedmoor bolt action. Something in a halfway decent chassis so the barrel is free floated and you can adjust it to fit you. Heavy profile barrel 22-24+ inches long. Don't forget ammunition and a good scope.

Plinking to 600 or 700 on steel targets you can do with a 16" 223 AR just fine. Way less recoil and cost vs 308 too.

Reactions: simonp
Remington long range in .308.
You'll have enough left over to get into a really decent scope in the 1300 dollar range.
I haven't shot one of the new ones, but reports are promising, it comes in a really decent HS Precision stock and they ship with timney triggers, though not adjustable.
The PSA Sabre gets pretty good reviews, semi autos can be quite accurate, but they require more skill.

Aero M5 Enhanced upper+lower+handguard = $750 or so
Aero BCG + Charging handle =$300
B5 precision stock = $230
Proof Stainless barrel = $550
LaRue MBT trigger = $100
Buffer tube/spring/buffer/LPK = $140
Superlative Arms adjustable gas block and gas tube = $120
Total = $2190 (can probably shop/get good sales and drop 10% off this price)

This would be a bad ass rig…

I’d buy one of the Armalites on sale at PSA for $1299.
Hell of a deal here for a large frame gas gun, not sure how they shoot though. Using the website they come with stainless barrels, maybe 1-1.5moa. I'd want to know what length the gas system is also.

OP, unless you are already invested in reloading for .308 I see no reason to get one vs 6.5cm. There is a learning curve for shooting large frame gas guns. Have you considered an AR15 in 6arc?

"1. Is it possible to build a 1MOA AR-10 at this price point? Preferably in .308."
IMHO, yes... a great barrel is important. I would apply all the tuning tricks to the build. And expect to use quality match ammo ( $ )

For me barrel life matters. A lot. I don't want to have a round count down hanging over my head. FWIW, I even felt 6.5CM was a compromise over 308 life wise. But it was something I could live with, and have been very happy with that choice.

20 round group from one of the TAC18 308’s
2F44BFBD-7908-41E1-B52F-03FAA2C2D90D.jpeg

Armalite holds their own in the large frame gas gun world.

Reactions: simonp and 346ci
If looking to go to 1000yds I would absolutely choose 6.5CM. The magnums are overkill for that range unless trying to kill something at the receiving end (and that’s a whole nother can of worms). A 1.5MOA gun will put you comfortably on an 18” target at 1000, so you don’t NEED something that’s a .3 MOA tack driver—it’s always a bonus, though.

Hell of a deal here for a large frame gas gun, not sure how they shoot though. Using the website they come with stainless barrels, maybe 1-1.5moa. I'd want to know what length the gas system is also.

OP, unless you are already invested in reloading for .308 I see no reason to get one vs 6.5cm. There is a learning curve for shooting large frame gas guns. Have you considered an AR15 in 6arc?
I have one of the armalite tactical 6.5 creedmoor . It is a nice rifle for the price . I did swap my optic out and now have a Bushnell dmr 2 on it . I can do 1 moa pretty consistent shooting hornady 140 grain American gunner . I am going to run it in a gas gun match Sunday if we don't get rained out .
IMG_4768.jpeg

I'd watch for a used Seekins SP10. Can generally find those $2200-2500, and they're consistent performers.

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, if you're only looking for 400-800yds, you might want to look at some of the small-frame chamberings. 6ARC, 6.5 Grendel, and even 77gr .223 can all be effective at those distances with the benefits of:

A) Cheaper rifle / parts
B) Lighter platform
C) Cheaper ammo (SRPs, less powder, cheaper bullet, cheaper brass)
D) Lighter recoil (easier to spot trace/splash)
E) Easier tuning

Seekins also has a DMR in 6ARC that can be found for ~$1500 if you look around. I've been very happy with mine out to 800yds.

Sorry, just realized you asked can you BUILD....

For building, I'd say, yes, but it'll take more effort and watching for some deals.

If it were me, I'd start with a Mega or Seekins receiver set ~$900

Craddock has their RTR line of barrels right now that have been showing good performance for ~$400

RCA blem BCG ~$200
JP SCS ~$200
Luth MBA3 stock ~$150
SA Gas block ~$100
Triggertech Duty trigger ~$100
Grip, safety, charging handle, other small parts ~$300

Total = ~$2350

Do a search for @bigjake83 builds on here if you want to see a good pattern for building a sub-MOA gas gun. He's got it down to a science.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigjake83