• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing AI Bolt Safety Mechanism, help needed

Skimafia

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2013
Utah
I had some issues today with my AT that most likely were a result of a dirty trigger assy and bolt.
I have disassembled the bolt before so that isn't foreign. I pulled the cover off of the cocking mechanism and took those parts out. I pulled the safety lever and detent spring and ball.
I noticed something and am asking for some assistant from someone else who has removed the safety on an AI bolt.
There is a component that mounts to the underside of the bolt cover that slots into the safety lever. This piece has a protrusion that fits into a part that looks like a tiny dumbbell. When the safety is moved, this small dumbbell looking cylinder slides forward and locks the trigger.
My question is which direction is this dumbells piece to slide in. It is not a symmetrical part and one end of this small dumbbell is longer that the other. The shorter side also has a beveled end. I assume the beveled end sits towards the opening.
I have it installed this way because it was how it came out. I'm not the original owner and its possible it may have been installed backwards prior to me owning it. I tested the operation and it all seems to be working correctly. I just want to be sure right.

Edit- I did watch the YouTube video that shows the full bolt strip. He did not pull that piece out.

Last edited:
20181121_191039.jpg