• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAX vs AICS 300 Win mags

ShtrRdy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2011
    High Plains
    I originally posted the following in the AI magazine ID thread but haven't received any comments.

I thought I was buying a couple magazines for my AICS in 300 Win Mag, but it looks like these magazines are for the AX AICS. (thanks to aam for the magazine poster)

Has anyone tried to flatten out the "lip" on the front of the magazine so that it will fit in a AICS? The rest of the dimensions appear to be the same.

Well, I got brave and took a hammer to that little bump. I'm going to be able to use it in a legacy AICS but the modification doesn't look pretty.

After doing this I believe the magazine is formed, welded, and then that special AX bump is stamped. Then the magazine is heat treated. There is a welded joint down the front of the magazine. While hammering on the bump, the weld in the middle of the bump cracked. This isn't going to affect operation but it gives you an idea of what I was dealing with.