• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AK 47 Options

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    Been throwing around the idea of an AK 47 lately. One gun I’ve always wanted but never got around to buying. I have an Armalite AR10 I’m thinking of parting with to fund an AK and wondering what some decent options are.

This will be a rifle that is just a “need to have” “range toy” type rifle so it doesn’t have to be top of the tier. But I do want reliability if I get one.

My limited amount of research says stay away from Century AKs. I see PSA makes some and have had good luck with their stuff in the AR15 market.

What do you guys suggest looking into and avoiding? I’m partial towards the original wood stock. I like traditional look and have no interest in mounting an optic/light etc.

Thank you

Your best bet is to find a comblok made AK. The problem is they are all priced extremely high as import numbers dictate availability and therefore price. Your best option is to find a used Wasr and roll with it unless you want to pay $1500-$1800 for most other imports.

I was a big AK man and when the prices got high, I sold out of rifles, mags, and Ammo and made a small fortune..

Reactions: hafejd30
    Order of quality in my opinion

1. Russian
    2. Bulgarian (Arsenal)
    3. Serbian, Polish
    4. Chinese
    5. Hungarian
    6. Romanian (not the factory seconds or thirds).
    7. USA
    8. Egyptian ( getting old school here)
    9. Frankenbuilds and Century Arms Romanian factory seconds, thirds and other assorted bubba junk.

I'd stay in the top 5...

In some ways, and also depending on model - the Chinese made can be a solid 3rd place.

Having built and own 8 of those models I wouldn't give up an AR10 to buy an AK . They have there place, but they are not going to compete with the accuracy and the power of the 308.

Having built and own 8 of those models I wouldn't give up an AR10 to buy an AK . They have there place, but they are not going to compete with the accuracy and the power of the 308.

Thank you for the input! For me it’s more of a want. I don’t have to sell the AR10. Just a thought to get the AK47 as I’ll be working lots of OT in the near future as well.

If others suggest not getting one altogether I’m open to that as well. Either talk me into one or out of one

And an AR10 can’t compete with an AK47s ruggedness and reliability. An AK is plenty accurate enough for a fighting carbine.

If you want a nice AK to shoot and just mess around with occasionally, Arsenal all the way. I’d recommend looking on eBay and getting a set of Russian laminate for it if you want wood furniture. Just make sure you get milled furniture if you get a milled Arsenal (SAM7).

Wasr is solid and relatively inexpensive. VEPR and good Saiga conversions are nice Russian rifles, but a bit spendier. If I were you, I’d spend the money on a nice AK and get some original laminate online from the eastern block.

And an AR10 can’t compete with an AK47s ruggedness and reliability. An AK is plenty accurate enough for a fighting carbine.

I love AKs, fell in love with them the first time I shot Polish select-fire AKs in a training course, and I strongly disagree.

The AR-series with smokes AKs easily in accuracy and equals them in reliability. Just think... the AR platform has an ejection port dustcover. That’s a bigger deal than people realize.

Yes you are correct those carbines are tough as nails
    They are. They don’t make very good target rifles though. Bag one up and shoot groups and you will be disappointed. Pick it up off the bag so and shoot the thing and you will realize how effective it can be.

I love AKs, fell in love with them the first time I shot Polish select-fire AKs in a training course, and I strongly disagree.

The AR-series with smokes AKs easily in accuracy and equals them in reliability. Just think... the AR platform has an ejection port dustcover. That’s a bigger deal than people realize.
    The man I was referencing was talking about AR10s. They are not near the reliability of an AK. Not even close.

AR15 rifles are closer but not quite there. I had many many Aks and shot the cheapest stuff I could put through them and never had a malfunction. Not once. Grease or bone dry it doesn’t matter. My first AR which I bought this past year is a Daniel Defense. It runs really good but I have already had a couple bobbles with it. I am around too many guys with ARs to ever believe that they are as reliable as an AK.

The man I was referencing was talking about AR10s. They are not near the reliability of an AK. Not even close.

AR15 rifles are closer but not quite there. I had many many Aks and shot the cheapest stuff I could put through them and never had a malfunction. Not once. Grease or bone dry it doesn’t matter. My first AR which I bought this past year is a Daniel Defense. It runs really good but I have already had a couple bobbles with it. I am around too many guys with ARs to ever believe that they are as reliable as an AK.

I spent some time around a bunch of guys with AKs (Afghan National Army/Police/COP). I’ll take my AR any day, every day.

This thread is about the OP’s question though, not our respective opinions about the platform.

All depends. For general dirt, sand, dust, ice and whatnot - AK is better.

If you're going to pour a slurry of very wet, soup-like mud onto the action, the AR's cover will keep that out, the AK will not. This is the only instance where the AR is better, but this is also the least likely scenario the rifle will have to deal with and also the most extreme attempt to contaminate an action that specifically exploits the lack of an ejection port cover.

I spent some time around a bunch of guys with AKs (Afghan National Army/Police/COP). I’ll take my AR any day, every day.

This thread is about the OP’s question though, not our respective opinions about the platform.

To be honest as the OP I do want your opinions. If it’s not all it’s hyped up to be than I’ll keep my AR10 in my cabinet and bypass the 47. Many of you have experienced both the AR 10/15 and AK 47 platforms and your opinions matter very much, so thank you

All depends. For general dirt, sand, dust, ice and whatnot - AK is better.

If you're going to pour a slurry of very wet, soup-like mud onto the action, the AR's cover will keep that out, the AK will not. This is the only instance where the AR is better, but this is also the least likely scenario the rifle will have to deal with and also the most extreme attempt to contaminate an action that specifically exploits the lack of an ejection port cover.

My experience, living in mud, sand, dust and ice, has been that an M4 lubed with CLP never failed me.

The AK has soul, but I’ll take an LMT MWS or a Colt LE6920 every day over any AK ever made for serious use.

Reactions: Qazwsx

That is exactly what the OP wants. Lol. He asked.

A Arsenal SAM7K Pistol with a brace is a mega fun range gun. Keep it simple, the peep sights are cool to test yourself with. It is a straight up blaster, extra hearing protection suggested.

To be honest as the OP I do want your opinions. If it’s not all it’s hyped up to be than I’ll keep my AR10 in my cabinet and bypass the 47. Many of you have experienced both the AR 10/15 and AK 47 platforms and your opinions matter very much, so thank you

Go buy a nice AK. Shoot it, enjoy it. It will go bang when you ask it to. Stick a Bakelite full of Hornady SSTs in it and put a flashlight on it for when you need it at night. Don’t NOT buy an AK because of anything I said.

But... I don’t take my Arsenal out to crush steel at 500m, or run pistol transition drills, or shoot groups in the .6s. Rocking in a mag will always be slower than mag changes in an AR. Piston rifles like the AK or M1A can’t compete with DI accuracy. AKs are tough to suppress. The AR will go 1k rounds without cleaning easily with good lube. Optics are nicer to use on flattop ARs. Higher BC on 77gr 5.56...

I will say, if you have a high end AR10, keep it. Don’t skip the AK though, they are a lot of fun.

dude, just go onto youtube and look up that guy who does all the AK torture testing. "local 47 / 74" or something. The guy is some kind of ex-military eastern block type. He really puts them through the ringer and many fail, but all his tests and evaluations are legit, like wear and tear evaluations after 1k, 2k, and 5k rounds, with normal firing situations. He isnt just some youtube putz wrapping bacon around a barrel and heating the gun up until it cooks.

edit. Rob Ski

Last edited:
    Watched hours of that dude. I ended up going with a blem PSA because of its price point, and as with most of their blem parts, I couldnt find anything I thought was a blem. The finish was way nicer than the Century imported WASR's that were on the shelves at that time. Unfortunatly I only put a couple hundred rounds through it before it was sold to fund a different project, but in that time I had zero malfunctions.

1. Kreb's custom - they have 2 tiers, the main difference being the barrel. Hands down the best in fit, finish and functionality, but not for the AK "purist"
    2. Definitive Arms - not as polished as the Kreb's, but still amazing and above Arsenal
    3. Arsenal is the average "standard" - solidly built, some scattered issues with canted sights and finish problems, but most are fine and functional.
    4. Everyone swears by their WASR - not pricey, but people recommend eyeballing it in person to evaluate for canted sights and messed up rivets.
    5. Atlantic firearms has had various builders - I just bought one of their battlefield pickups. Looks and feels awesome but haven't shot it yet.
    6. Have wanted a Galil Ace, there are some improvements over standard AK, I have never seen or handled one in the wild.

New on the scene is Occam defense - has an AR style handguard with a railed sight tower, looks cool, but I don't want to be the $1600 test subject as I haven't been able to find any reviews.

As I am sure you know, or will find out, AK owners are an interesting group. They tend to scoff at anything over $700 or innovation. If you complain about canted sights or finish they tend to lay into you.

If money is no object and you want the best, Kreb's and definitive arms are the way to go. I think comparing them to Knight's Armament or hK would be fair.

Like I said, lots use the Arsenal as the standard (think bcm or daniel defense).

WASR if you want to save money, just handle it in person first (although Atlantic firearms used to QC inspect them for you).

Good luck.

I've been very impressed by every Dissident rifle or shotgun I've ever seen in action.