• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Altitude vs. Velocity

oldnmkid

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2013
Rio Rancho, Nm
Today I finally had the opportunity to shoot my new 22 Creedmoor. I loaded 45.0 grs. of RL 26 behind a 75 gr Hornady ELD Match. Barrel is finished at 28" From what I had read beforehand, I was calculating around 3550 fps. My Magneto said 5 shot average was 3472 fps. Got me to wondering if my altitude, (180' above sea level) had anything to do with my, "lower" velocity. Wonder if H-4350 would show a higher reading? Peterson 6 Creedmoor cases necked down showed no pressure at all.

Altitude needs to "Time" to work on the bullet, it's in the form of less parasitic drag, which has nothing to do with MV.

Temperature is a bigger factor, as powders have a Temperature Sensitivity as do the Primers. This why software has options for powder temp changes.

MV can be determined by several factors beyond load, like Barrels, their diameter, twist rate, design, etc, Some barrels are faster than others, and what you read from someone else is really just a reference point.

Since you said you just got the chance to shoot your new rifle, I'd hold off on judging your MV until you have quite a few more rounds down the barrel. Yes, you could have a slow barrel, but since it's new, I'd venture to say you'll likely see an increase in velocity after about a hundred or so rounds.

Since you said you just got the chance to shoot your new rifle, I'd hold off on judging your MV until you have quite a few more rounds down the barrel. Yes, you could have a slow barrel, but since it's new, I'd venture to say you'll likely see an increase in velocity after about a hundred or so rounds.

I won't chrono again until I have a good load. Not that I am not pleased with the current FPS. Guess I got "trapped" by Internet magic.