• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

American Ammunition Company 77gr SMK HPBT

AAC Saber ammunition . . .
IMG_20230828_074456_jpg-2934913.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/AAC-55-gr-Saber-ammo-Case-Failure-/16-782183/

If you go to the ar15 link you will see PSA posting. Josiah is his name and if anyone has ANY problems with anything PSA message him. He will take care of it. He is one of their main people and handles everything on forums. Don't call PSA itself. You will run into delays and problems. But Josiah will have it sorted out the same day.

Should be able to make it to the range tomorrow…

View attachment 8110279

View attachment 8110280
A friend and I went and tested several of the lower priced ammo flavors. AAC 77gr. SMK and 77gr. OTM were two of them we tried. We shot a 5 round group at 100 and 400 using an 18” and a 14.5”.

18” WOA SPR barrel
1:7 twist
18” 77 SMK 2767 FPS ES 37
100 yards: 1.00”
400 yards: 5”

18” 77 “Precision” OTM 2761 FPS ES 108
100 yards: 1.19”
400 yards: 3.5”

I will say this seems to be dirtier than other stuff. I shot some of it then followed up with some M193, all suppressed. The AAC brass i picked up was filthy while the Lake City brass was dirty but still brass colored. Will add that pic below as well.

I added the whole list of what we shot. The Precision OTM did surprisingly well for $11/box.

IMG_2119.jpeg
IMG_2120.png

71840715531__D10FBEC8-EE7F-4D6C-ABD1-384B46ED0AC9.jpeg

Last edited:
Is this the same company out of FLA. that sold ammo labeled A-MERC about 10-15 years ago?
Palmetto State Armory bought AAC from Remington when they broke up due to the bankruptcy several years ago. Realistically they bought the name. They now produce ammo in South Carolina. They form their own brass and extrude their own lead for projectiles in their other ammo.

A friend and I went and tested several of the lower priced ammo flavors. AAC 77gr. SMK and 77gr. OTM were two of them we tried. We shot a 5 round group at 100 and 400 using an 18” and a 14.5”.

18” WOA SPR barrel
1:7 twist
18” 77 SMK 2767 FPS ES 37
100 yards: 1.00”
400 yards: 5”

18” 77 “Precision” OTM 2761 FPS ES 108
100 yards: 1.19”
400 yards: 3.5”

I will say this seems to be dirtier than other stuff. I shot some of it then followed up with some M193, all suppressed. The AAC brass i picked up was filthy while the Lake City brass was dirty but still brass colored. Will add that pic below as well.

I added the whole list of what we shot. The Precision OTM did surprisingly well for $11/box.

View attachment 8246130View attachment 8246131
View attachment 8246136
Thank you for sharing all this great info.
Super interesting results 100yds vs 400yds.
And not doubting your results in the slightest, but any idea / speculation as to how the groups "improved" ( MOA wise ? ) at 400yds vs. 100yds for some of the various rounds fired ?
Or am I misunderstanding something ?

And wow... that is some filthy AAC brass. I still would like to know what powder AAC uses.

Is this the same company out of FLA. that sold ammo labeled A-MERC about 10-15 years ago?
No. Thankfully A-Merc is dead.
PSA / AAC ammo does produce its own brass ( multiple calibers ) some loads use AAC produced projectiles ( again multiple calibers ), and AAC is close to producing their own primers.
FWIW, AAC used to produce suppressors as well, and PSA ( JJE Brands LLC ) now produces that suppressor line.
JJE Brands is a big 'ol company.
https://jjech.com/portfolio-companies/

I'd be willing to bet there are other companies not yet listed.

Probably a different AAC.
This is America's Ammunition Company.
The suppressors were made by Advanced Armament Company. And still are. AAC still has an active web site.

Reactions: BurtG
Thank you for sharing all this great info.
Super interesting results 100yds vs 400yds.
And not doubting your results in the slightest, but any idea / speculation as to how the groups "improved" ( MOA wise ? ) at 400yds vs. 100yds for some of the various rounds fired ?
Or am I misunderstanding something ?

And wow... that is some filthy AAC brass. I still would like to know what powder AAC uses.
Do you know what the actual BC is of the 77 gr OTM BT's? Thanks!

I have shot a few hundred of the 77SMK 5.56 from AAC and had students shoot a few thousands when I was teaching

Pros
Accuracy has been very good
SD has been very good

Cons
Dirty as shit

Reactions: GrandeJake
I had mixed results shooting AAC. SMK's did the best accuracy for me out of my BA 18" SPR barrel. TMK's were a very close 2nd. I chronographed the SMK's on a 2nd trip and got an average of 2630 fps, which surprised me a little bit considering that I typically get 2750 from Hornady Frontier 75gr's and similar speeds from IMI Razor Core. ES and SD were also not great of the AAC SMK's, the Hornady and IMI are tighter.

I also shot the AAC "Black Tip" 75's, and the AAC 77gr OTM. My spread on those @100yds was the worst out of 6 different loads I tried. The black tips particularly had quite a few fliers. But ymmv depending on what your barrel likes. I too noticed dings in cases across the different AAC loads I ordered. I didn't check OAL on any of them. I did notice that the AAC stuff shoots dirtier than usual though. I did not notice any blown primers.

I think the AAC SMK loads are good for the price, certainly accurate enough for range use or otherwise in a pinch compared to BH or IMI, etc. But I'd need to do more testing on the other loads again to make up my mind on them.

Not bad did you chrono any?

i bought the 77gr OTM and had very good accuracy and POI compared to razor core in an LWRC piston.

here was velocity string from a 16” chromelined fn barrel:

lost the data from the LW but have gone through about 200 rounds in both barrel so far with no problems.

Reactions: Jsp556
Just ordered 600 of the SMK loaded stuff. I'm sure my PRI built, Douglass barreled Mk12 will like it.

View attachment 8134532
Update.

The rifle likes the AAC stuff just as well as Black Hills, IMI, and stuff.

I'm confident this ammo is good enough that I (my shit wind reading skills) am the weak link in the weapon system. Elevation is always consistent. Windage call is consistently inconsistent 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Update.

The rifle likes the AAC stuff just as well as Black Hills, IMI, and stuff.

I'm confident this ammo is good enough that I (my shit wind reading skills) am the weak link in the weapon system. Elevation is always consistent. Windage call is consistently inconsistent 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Try them with and without the suppressor and see how they group at 100yards...barrels are very picky as to what they like! Try them from the bench with a good F-class rest.

Attachments

• DSCN3523.JPG
    DSCN3523.JPG
    580.9 KB · Views: 17
  • en-1125-martin-640x360.jpg
    en-1125-martin-640x360.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Gen.-Yarborough-and-JFK.jpg
    Gen.-Yarborough-and-JFK.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 17
  • kennedyandm16.jpg
    kennedyandm16.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 14
Try them with and without the suppressor and see how they group at 100yards...barrels are very picky as to what they like! Try them from the bench with a good F-class rest.
I don't shoot that rifle unsuppressed and I don't shoot from benches with F Class rests. I shoot from bipods with a rear bag or from barricades/tripods/odd positions.

Reactions: tucaz

some are some arent. i have a couple barrels that dont care what goes down them, they group the same. never noticed my aac cans or the htg changing grouping either but those are the only ones i have.

I don't shoot that rifle unsuppressed and I don't shoot from benches with F Class rests. I shoot from bipods with a rear bag or from barricades/tripods/odd positions.
I too shoot from bipods and a rear bag, tripods also...Molon tests accuracy from a bench set up and I do as well...only way to know how truly accurate your ammo is....there is too much room for error with a bipod! I don't use a silencer as I do not like to breathe burned powder....it ain't healthy for you! Your rifle sure looks nice....a great book is "Accuracy and Precision For Long Range Shooting" by Bryan Litz. This book has helped me greatly!

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: AAC 77gr 556 from PSA just kicks ass. Zero issues. Super consistent. Nails 12x18 IPSC at 650-yards every time at $0.55/rd. Virtually no reason to buy 193 or 855 plinking ammo at nearly the same price.

=====

Just sharing my recent AAC 77gr experience…

Like many, the allure of getting MK262 at $0.55/rd was too much to resist, so I bought 2K rounds from PSA sometime last year (I think it was a smidge higher back then, maybe…).

I just let it sit until last month, when I had a fantastic class (CR2’s 3-Day Light Fighter — can’t recommend highly enough, was EPIC!) that would be 100-700 yards at a variety of targets, positions, and conditions.

Like most Noobs without a clue, I decided to take a rifle that had never been shot and had just come out of the Cerakote oven the night before Day-1 of the class. We reassembled the gun, wet it down, and packed it into the car along with 1K rounds of cheap knockoff AAC ammo I’d never shot — ‘cuz if you’re gonna FAFO, you should go all the F’n way.

Arrived at the class with a never-fired gun and never-tested ammo and, after taking 20 minutes to get everything dialed-in, never looked back. Gun and ammo ran flawlessly. I was reliably nailing 12x18 IPSC at >650-yards and everything in between, consistently (assuming I did my part).

The ammo never did anything it shouldn’t have done and never let me down. If I can consistently hit a 12x18 plate at 650 with every round out of a 14.5” suppressed 556 AR, I don’t see what more I could ask. It looks like it might run a little dirtier than IMI or BH 262, but that’s just a guess.

So… I ordered another 2K the moment I got home. I have a boatload of IMI and legit MK262 Mod 1C, but can’t see paying >2x the price for something that delivers little to no practical advantage.

Last edited:
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: AAC 77gr 556 from PSA just kicks ass. Zero issues. Super consistent. Nails 12x18 IPSC at 650-yards every time at $0.55/rd. Virtually no reason to buy 193 or 855 plinking ammo at nearly the same price.

=====

Just sharing my recent AAC 77gr experience…

Like many, the allure of getting MK262 at $0.55/rd was too much to resist, so I bought 2K rounds from PSA sometime last year (I think it was a smidge higher back then, maybe…).

I just let it sit until last month, when I had a fantastic class (CR2’s 3-Day Light Fighter — can’t recommend highly enough, was EPIC!) that would be 100-700 yards at a variety of targets, positions, and conditions.

Like most Noobs without a clue, I decided to take a rifle that had never been shot and had just come out of the Cerakote oven the night before Day-1 of the class. We reassembled the gun, wet it down, and packed it into the car along with 1K rounds of cheap knockoff AAC ammo I’d never shot — ‘cuz if you’re gonna FAFO, you should go all the F’n way.

Arrived at the class with a never-fired gun and never-tested ammo and, after taking 20 minutes to get everything dialed-in, never looked back. Gun and ammo ran flawlessly. I was reliably nailing 12x18 IPSC at >650-yards and everything in between, consistently (assuming I did my part).

The ammo never did anything it shouldn’t have done and never let me down. If I can consistently hit a 12x18 plate at 650 with every round out of a 14.5” suppressed 556 AR, I don’t see what more I could ask. It looks like it might run a little dirtier than IMI or BH 262, but that’s just a guess.

So… I ordered another 2K the moment I got home. I have a boatload of IMI and legit MK262 Mod 1C, but can’t see paying >2x the price for something that delivers little to no practical advantage.

AAC 77 Grain OTM is the deal....you must be referring to this ammo, not the SMK round which has never been .55 cents per round....I got a lot of this ammo for the same reason and it is accurate enough for the money!

Reactions: TheHorta
AAC 77 Grain OTM is the deal....you must be referring to this ammo, not the SMK round which has never been .55 cents per round....I got a lot of this ammo for the same reason and it is accurate enough for the money!
Yep… Imma blind squirrel today.

OTM.

Reactions: clcustom1911
I too shoot from bipods and a rear bag, tripods also...Molon tests accuracy from a bench set up and I do as well...only way to know how truly accurate your ammo is....there is too much room for error with a bipod! I don't use a silencer as I do not like to breathe burned powder....it ain't healthy for you! Your rifle sure looks nice....a great book is "Accuracy and Precision For Long Range Shooting" by Bryan Litz. This book has helped me greatly!
Sir, I have shot bipod for decade after decade and if shot from correctly it will be as accurate or more accurate than the free recoil technique many (when using a field worthy rifle in a bench rest) bench rest shooter use

As an International F TR shooter I have seen many times F TR shooters shoot as well as the top Open class shooters under good conditions

As a long time sniper and sniper instructor I have seen bench rest groups from bipod shot sniper rifles.

It’s all about technique and if your inconsistency with a bipod it’s either ammo, rifle or shooter if groups are not good

What's the velocities you guys have been seeing? I shot some to confirm zero and check dope when my order arrived and it seems slow as shit. It shoots well but I need to double check some things because the dope is putting it at 2550 from an 18" LMT. Seems oddly slow for 5.56 stuff.

What's the velocities you guys have been seeing? I shot some to confirm zero and check dope when my order arrived and it seems slow as shit. It shoots well but I need to double check some things because the dope is putting it at 2550 from an 18" LMT. Seems oddly slow for 5.56 stuff.
I’m getting 2725ish from my 18” Criterion and 2810 from my 20” Kreiger.

2750 @ 68⁰f, 2775 @ 90⁰f from my PRI made 18" Douglass

Reactions: Sixfivesavage
Better not be slow as I have 1200 sitting here waiting to throw down range.

AAC 77OTM
BRT Optimum 16”
2655 FPS / 48.3 ES / 15.7 SD