• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ammo issue?

PhOnEpHrEaK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2006
Salem, Ohio
Today I was out shooting, and something interesting happened. I fired and tried to cycle my bolt. The spent round ejected fine. But, my bolt would not close with the next round in. So I pulled the bolt back, the round ejected fine. I dropped the mag cycled my bolt a few times it worked fine. Put that round back in, and the bolt wouldn't close. ejected that round, cycled the next one in and the bolt closed fine. cycled through the entire mag, the rest all performed as intended. This is all factory ammo, I've put 97 rounds of it through my rifle in the last 2 weeks with no issue until this one. Any idea what the cause of this could be?

Last edited:
I would measure the culprit rounds oal, headspace, and base of the cartridge. If you do not have the tools for this I would give it to a friend that does along with a round that feeds. Overall I would not worry about it IF this a one time occurrence.

Hardmix

Agree with above. It sounds like the rounds are too long for your chamber. Can you tell us what type of rifle you were shooting? I've also had an issue closing the bolt when firing a long string and heating up the barrel.

Its a 700 sps tactical .308. I'm certain it was the ammo as the next round chambered fine.

Remingtons generally have loose chambers, it would take a case way out of spec or bullet loaded way too long to have an effect but it can happen. I'd check all the dimensions, OAL, neck dia. case dia, rim dia, shoulder angle, mouth to shoulder, etc. How many had this issue?

Last edited:
Remingtons generally have loose chambers, it would take a case way out of spec or bullet loaded way too long to have an effect but it can happen. I'd check all the dimensions, OAL, neck dia. case dia, rim dia, shoulder angle, mouth to shoulder, etc. How many had this issue?

Only the one and out of 100 the test had no issues what so ever. The bolt just wouldn't lock with it in there seemed strange to me especially since the extractor would still pull it out.

wouldnt worry about it unless you want to. toss that round and move on.