• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing And so it begins [stock making]

tacshooter223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2009
Destin, FL
Well as some of you know this 16 year wanted to build his own rifle stock.. So I thought if I started a post I'd have to finish building this thing. As the title suggests this is only the beginning, and I will periodically post some more pictures as I complete things.

Started off on paper a while ago.
DSC_0093.jpg

Kinda hard to see sorry.
Stencil..
DSC_0094.jpg

Glued three pieces of wood together at school and took the block home since the school wouldn't have anything to do with the wood shaping.

Did the rough cuts today on my buddy's stepdads's band saw.
DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

Gotta a lot of work ahead of me but I'm looking forward to it!
Definitley have to give coldboremiracle the credit for this idea though. Got the inspiration from his and hope mine looks half as good as his when I'm done.
Heres the link for anyone who hasn't seen his.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1993488&page=1

As of now thanks for your time!
TS223

Re: And so it begins [stock making]

That's awesome!!!! When I got your PM I immediatly thought I said something somewhere that sparked a riot among the members or something and you were giving me a heads up but this is much more wonderful than that! Good job so far, and it looks like you have some great plans set out already. ColdBoreMiracle also inspired me, but after seing you get your start, I think I must also get my start here shortly
smile.gif

Best of luck in this project, It's a huge undertaking but you can do it.
smile.gif

Shoot, I was super tired before I saw this... Now I'm wide awake
grin.gif
you got me all excited now!!

-Dylan

I would have loved to make my own stock for my 10FP and 10PC, but I just don't have the patience or proper tools. This is an undertaking that is to be commended!! Mainly due to this, I am waiting on a Manners MCS-T.

Best of luck with the project, and I hope with all hopes it turns out how you are wanting it.

DK

good start. I wouldn't have the first idea of where to begin a project such as yours. Keep at it!

Thanks guys!

All I did today was sand down the rough edges on the profile view. I don't want to start sanding down the sides until I get the action bedded so I can see where I will be positioned behind the scope. It looks almost the same, so pictures are unnecessary.

Looks good. The biggest piece of advice I can offer is to take your time when shaving down the sides. Balance is pretty important.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscgbeachbum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good. The biggest piece of advice I can offer is to take your time when shaving down the sides. Balance is pretty important. </div></div>
Thanks! All these little pieces of info together are adding up and helping me a lot.

Go for it fella! One of the best ways to learn and grow and to take an idea and make something of it. Post an update once and a while.

Still got an old rifle I built a stock for out of a Fagen blank years ago. I have better ones but none I value more.

Advice:

If you can swing it, get a "49er" rasp from brownells. It will make shaping much much easier. Long fluid strokes and don't loiter in any one spot too long. Work on "the whole picture" and it will minimize mistakes. Make templates of radiuses to use for gauges. This will keep surfaces symmetrical. I have an old 49er in a drawer I beleive. Shoot me an email and ill send it to you. Not very sharp but still better than a sanding block.

Good luck and giver hell!
C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ps: tang angle on a m700 is around 11.5 degrees. Leave it proud so you can blend the tang to the action after bedding. </div></div>
Thanks Mr. Dixon! I sent you an e-mail to the address in your signature regarding the rasp and asking a few questions

Thanks again

Thanks Chad. Got the rasp today; worked like a charm!

Will post a picture when I have time (probably later tonight).

DSC_0095.jpg

The front end doesn't stick out as much as it looks from the shadowing of the picture.

I did a lot of work on rounding the edges and making things more level. Next big thing is getting the butt pad and sanding down the butt of the stock to match the profile. Most of the other big external stuff is done I believe..

WOW that is some impressive wood working! Keep up the good work, and don't forget to keep posting the updates. Looks great!

You got alot more patience than I do that's for sure. Keep up the good work. Like the other guys said, post updates from time to time. It's cool to see projects like these!

Check out rimfirecentral.com in the stocks section. See if you can search some of Hipshot's projects, he is the master at shaping lumber. I haven't been on there in awhile but he has posted some detailed projects with lots of pictures in the past. Looks good so far, take your time and try not to take anything off that you can't put back on. If you are going to paint it when you are done, you have more options for fixing any mistakes that might come up.

Wow!!! That is awesome, I wish I could work with wood like that and your only sixteen, I bet by the time you are 20 you will be making a living at it!!

Yea I've learn so far from this experience three things.

1) You don't need big fancy equipment, but it makes it a hell of a lot easier.

2) That making a stock is hard.

and finally 3) Chad Dixon is the man... hands down.

That's amazing.... Good job, keep up with the updates!