• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Anybody have a GAP .338 Lapua?

mosquitoshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
Hello all, back in January I ordered my .338 lapua from GA Precision. Below are the specs.
- Templar V2 Action
- Manners T4A stock
- Bartlein 28" Barrel
- Badger FTE Muzzle Brake
- Badger M5 Bottom Metal
- Tuned to 2 lbs Remington trigger
- Metal/Barrel etc cerakoted Coyote Tan

I have 7 months to go in my wait and its killing me. Here is the question, they supposedly guarante 3/8 moa accuracy. For those of you that have a GAP 338, do they live up to that? I have an HS Precision that is a one holer at 100 yards so yes I understand "it depends on the shooter" but I am capable of it if the gun is. I saw a guy on Youtube blowing away a beer can at over 1,000 yards with a Surgeon 338 which amazed me. So, do you view GA Precision's accuracy on the same level, if not better than Surgeon, Sako, AI, Etc? I have searched the forums and havent seen a whole lot of accuracy reports on the GAP 338.

Update on 5/26/2014: the wait is killing me. I feel itchy, shaky, I'm even breaking out with lesions like a crackhead because of the anxiety and anticipation. I need my 338 lapua! Somebody who's been in my position, please guide me on how to take the next five months without jumping in front of an ice cream truck!!! :)

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice build. No worries, it'll shoot 3/8 or better...

My GAP338 was a HAMMER! Similar build to yours except I had a v1 action and a Timney flat shoe trigger. I hate that I sold it to be honest with you. I suck at shooting groups but was able to shoot several VERY nice groups. Wish I had pictures to share.

However, shooting a 338 at 100yds is a bit of a waste IMHO. That's handgun distance :) My GAP 338 was accurate out to a mile with me behind it and if you knew me, you'd understand that endorsement! I don't think you have any problems with accuracy when GAP is stamped on the side.

I saw that video too. Incredible first shot.

I have one and trust me it is worth the wait. My best advise figure out what bullet you are wanting to shoot in it and tell George and have it chambered to that bullet. Mine shoots the 300gr Bergers really good (Usually one ragged hole at 100yds) but the only problem I have is If I set the bullet to the lands it wont fit in the magazine. I think I am going to have them set it back so the bullet will touch the lands.

My GAP 338LM was one of the few I really regret selling. It was a beast. Crazy accurate. I'm a lefty and it was a righty so I sold it. Still not sure that was a good decision! You'll love it. I want pictures...

Similar here. Had one on a Lawton GAP 7000 action, McM A5 stock with FTE break, shot lights out and mistakenly let a buddy talk me out of it. Ended up ok as I ended up with my present build also GAP based of surgeon XL action, manners stock, mtu bartlein barrel with thruster break and Jewell trigger. Shoots lights out and love it.

Gap 338 built on bat tactical action, krieger #17 10 twist finished at 24" and AAC Titan-qd mount.
1zqvuhx.jpg

My GAP338 was a HAMMER! Similar build to yours except I had a v1 action and a Timney flat shoe trigger. I hate that I sold it to be honest with you. I suck at shooting groups but was able to shoot several VERY nice groups. Wish I had pictures to share.

However, shooting a 338 at 100yds is a bit of a waste IMHO. That's handgun distance :) My GAP 338 was accurate out to a mile with me behind it and if you knew me, you'd understand that endorsement! I don't think you have any problems with accuracy when GAP is stamped on the side.

I can attest to what dvdt has said above. I'm the one that bought his rifle and it's everything he said it was. In fact I'm heading out today to put some rounds downrange at the mile mark. They're sweet sticks. You'll be happy.

I have one built on a surgeon Xl with a McMillan a5 and bartlein 1:10. I had the chamber cut for 300 smk. Very impressed. It does shoot the 3/8 or better with factory ammo and that's measuring outside to outside for me. It's a one holer with hand loads. It has a soft push for recoil, heck I think the percussion is worse than the actual recoil.
A few friends had theirs built by GA Precision and is true for them. Their builds are similar to yours but on the first generation Templar. You will be very very happy when you gets yours. All GAPs are worth the wait.

Last edited:
I can attest to what dvdt has said above. I'm the one that bought his rifle and it's everything he said it was. In fact I'm heading out today to put some rounds downrange at the mile mark. They're sweet sticks. You'll be happy.

It's great that it's in good hands. Post up some results!

Here is the question, they supposedly guarante 3/8 moa accuracy. For those of you that have a GAP 338, do they live up to that?

I can't speak to what every GAP-built .338LM does, but mine did indeed shoot 3/8th MOA. It didn't seem too particular about the load, either (or else I just got very lucky with everything I threw at it).