• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anything better than the Trijicon 1-8 for the money?

I've been wondering the same. For me a daylight bright reticle is very important. I can say with certainty that the green illumination is not daylight bright.
Ive heard that the red illumination can wash out the whole reticle but have not verified for myself.

Yeah, I saw a review from Sage Dynamics who stated the same. It was a pretty thorough review and seemd like its going to be hard to beat in that price range. I typically opt for red anyways and will definitely be doing so on this purchase as well.

This optic is what I'm REALLY leaning towards for my hunter-weight Grendel AR, so I'm interested in feedback here as well...

I havent seen both side by side and the price is different but my buddy picked up a shorty March 1-8, looks like the cats ass. Only problem is it only uses one ring, hes trying to find someone to go in halves on a set of rings lol.

Leupold Mk6 but it's more expensive, USO SR8 if you can find one, Eotech makes the VUDU which doesn't have the same problems their holosights had and then there's several others in that range from various high end mfg.'s, sometimes on sale for really good deals. Euro Optic and Optics Planet have tons. I expect I'll be spending a little more for mine unless I can find a good deal on it. It's going on a Grendel too but I want some kind of nice milling reticle for longer shots.

I thought Vcog at first, but this is the Accupower you are talking about, right? Optics Planet has that one for $765 right now. Good luck!

I've been wondering the same. For me a daylight bright reticle is very important. I can say with certainty that the green illumination is not daylight bright.
Ive heard that the red illumination can wash out the whole reticle but have not verified for myself.

I have a green reticle 1-8 that I have taken out in numerous sun conditions and I don't have an issue picking up on the reticle.

Last edited:
Really?? That suprises me. I had the green model turned all the way up in bright sunlight and could only see a dim green if I really looked hard. IMO this type of 1-X optic should ideally function like a T1, bright dot I don't need to search for or focus on even in the brightest sunlight. I should pick it up only while looking through the optic focusing on the target with both eyes open, "Bindon aiming concept". I have yet to find such a magnified optic...

You might want to look at one of these. A very nice scope for the money.... [h=2]Sightron 1-7x24 S-TAC 30mm Riflescope[/h]

I had one of the first ones ... It had red illumination. It cant be beat for the price... You have Burris, Bushnell, Trijicon, USO, March, S&B and Leupold all making 1-8 optics

I have owned the Burris, Trijicon, S&B, and Leupold ... The Trijicon has features that shouldn't be in that price bracket. I consider it a value

Now that the Swarovski Z6i is discontinued, I would expect to see some killer deals coming up.

Leupold Mk6 but it's more expensive, USO SR8 if you can find one, Eotech makes the VUDU which doesn't have the same problems their holosights had and then there's several others in that range from various high end mfg.'s, sometimes on sale for really good deals. Euro Optic and Optics Planet have tons. I expect I'll be spending a little more for mine unless I can find a good deal on it. It's going on a Grendel too but I want some kind of nice milling reticle for longer shots.

I thought Vcog at first, but this is the Accupower you are talking about, right? Optics Planet has that one for $765 right now. Good luck!

I see the 1-4x at that price, but not the 1-8x. Is there something that I'm overlooking?

Just picked up one myself after getting over my initial disappointment that Trij didn't do a better job with the illumination ( I figured if anybody knew how to effectively handle illumination in a LPV it was Trij... oh well...). My take: its a decent $1,100ish optic nothing more, nothing less. Wouldn't pay much more than that for one, but in that $ range its one of the better options I've found. Perhaps the best. I have absolutely no love for the Burris reticle options in their 1-8s. YMMV, of course, but for me I have no use for BDC in anything much over 4x. Add to that my feelings about anything that comes out of the plant in Colorado (did I just say "Colorado" and "plant" in the same sentence...oh well, pun most definitely intended ;)) and the Burris is a total non-starter for me.

Just picked up one myself after getting over my initial disappointment that Trij didn't do a better job with the illumination ( I figured if anybody knew how to effectively handle illumination in a LPV it was Trij... oh well...). My take: its a decent $1,100ish optic nothing more, nothing less. Wouldn't pay much more than that for one, but in that $ range its one of the better options I've found. Perhaps the best. I have absolutely no love for the Burris reticle options in their 1-8s. YMMV, of course, but for me I have no use for BDC in anything much over 4x. Add to that my feelings about anything that comes out of the plant in Colorado (did I just say "Colorado" and "plant" in the same sentence...oh well, pun most definitely intended ;)) and the Burris is a total non-starter for me.

Just an FYI, the Burris XTR II 1-8 comes from the same LOW plant in Japan :cool:

Just an FYI, the Burris XTR II 1-8 comes from the same LOW plant in Japan :cool:

Thanks for the heads-up! Good to know, I stand corrected... Gotta love the 'Hide, if one makes an erroneous assumption it is sure to be corrected by someone with better info in short order ;) Now if they just offered some better (admittedly from my perspective) reticle options...

I had the Burris 1-8, while good for the price I found the glass to be lacking. Perhaps it was just my sample or this scope in ths power range but Ive been happy with my 5-25 XTRII.

All the other brands mentioned are more than I want to spend. My price pretty much narrows down the field to 2 o 3 options. Daytime brightness isnt the end of the world to me. Ive been shooting scopes with no illuminations for 20+ years. While I do like the illumination in low light, its not a deal breaker in full on daylight.

The one I was looking through was daytime bright on a white background at 300 yards, guess one persons perspective of daytime bight is different than others. It is not bright like a red dot sight would be where you can turn it up till it washes out the view of the target...

I've always shot every scope both eyes open no matter what power I am using 1x-27x so no problem for me there. The glass quality is better than necessary and I noticed no CA while looking at a giant white board with large numbers in black printed on it at 300 yards while zooming in and out. I was real happy with how wide the field of view is, wider that my 1-4 SWFA and the glass quality was better than both the SWFA and my 1.2-5 minox.

This is the perfect scope for me. It which will reside on a Grendel for much of the year for coyote control and a 450 bushmaster for deer where its ability to pick up deer in near darkness and yet have a mil reticle with locking turrets and low power to make close range tree stand hunting in brush possible.

edited:
Just because its made at the same factory as burris's does not mean it was made to the same spec. But no, I have not compared the two and a BDC reticle is a deal breaker. Hence, why I was excited to get some time behind the Trijicon before purchasing.

Last edited:
Vortex razor 1-6 still is top dog until you get into a mk8. Rumors are the new pst gen 2 is daylight bright so you may want to handle one. I got a chance to play with the new vudu scopes this weekens and they are pretty nice for the money. Quick eotech reticle, daylight bright on 1x and a croashair type on 6x.

I totally get not needing daylight bright reticle for hunting.
Id like to get some time behind a red illumination model. Specs of the Trijicon meet my needs better than the Buriss, not a BDC fan.

There were a couple of Hensoldt optics for a good price when I was looking last night on Euro Optic and IIRC there were some lower mag models. Same with some of the other high end euro makes if you look around. Yeah, they are costly but I was surprised that they weren't completely out of my range for what they are going on. These are simply some of the best scopes made, period. Never, ever heard anything but "awesome" about them. I hear the glass is peerless and they are built like tanks. They are at the top of my list now for a couple weapons I need to scope. Limited on reticles, but the NH1 or whatever looked good to go (looks like a milling reticle with the usual European height scale at the bottom) and they are fully illuminated. The larger ones really let in the light too.

I prefer the reticle options of the Burris XTR II, the FFP model is daytime bright and the SFP model is truly Aimpoint bright.
Burris XTR II 1-8x24mm w/ Illum Ballistic Circle Dot FFP https://www.cstactical.com/burris-xtr-ii-1-8x24mm-w/-illum-ballistic-circle-dot-ffp.aspx
Burris XTR II 1-8x24mm w/ Illum Ballistic Dot RFP https://www.cstactical.com/p/5509-Burris-XTR-II-1-8x24mm-w/-Illum-Ballistic-Dot-RFP.aspx

^^^^ These are hard to beat. I like the Trijicon a lot. It is quite a bit more money, though.

I would check out the Sightron SIII 1-7x24. I've had one for years and have been happy with the optical clarity, red and green illumination, and solid performer. My only beef is the reticle isn't my absolute favorite.
5b1f7d12c69b8f592f084d377fa03976.jpg

I paid over a grand for mine new a few years ago, but you can find them new now for 750ish-950ish

Really?? That suprises me. I had the green model turned all the way up in bright sunlight and could only see a dim green if I really looked hard. IMO this type of 1-X optic should ideally function like a T1, bright dot I don't need to search for or focus on even in the brightest sunlight. I should pick it up only while looking through the optic focusing on the target with both eyes open, "Bindon aiming concept". I have yet to find such a magnified optic...

There are plenty of magnified optics that have the same level of illumination as a red dot.

I have used a Vortex Razor HD II 1-6 for the past 3 seasons shooting 3 gun. For me the dot is daylight bright and works really well. The only down side is that the scope is built like a tank and is heavy. You can find 10% off codes from Optics Planet from some of the sponsored 3 gun shooters (Tischauser) that will bring the price down a bit more.

There are plenty of magnified optics that have the same level of illumination as a red dot.

My criteria for daylight bright is T1 bright. Haven't found any magnified optics at that level yet. For me, T1 brightness allows me to pick up the dot superimposed on the target whiteout having to search for the dot at all in any situation.

i haven't had the opportunity to shoot a Vortex razor yet. I do know that their Razor reflex sight is the brightest I've seen. Hope the 1-6 is as bright.

My criteria for daylight bright is T1 bright. Haven't found any magnified optics at that level yet. For me, T1 brightness allows me to pick up the dot superimposed on the target whiteout having to search for the dot at all in any situation.

i haven't had the opportunity to shoot a Vortex razor yet. I do know that their Razor reflex sight is the brightest I've seen. Hope the 1-6 is as bright.

I get that and agree, but there are plenty that fit that bill. None are cheap, and most won't quite match a T1 turned to max brightness (which is overkill in most situations), but there are a number that will work just like a red dot in bright daylight.

I think from looking at them personally that fhe Razor 1-6 is brightest and the Burris 1-8 is next with the Trijicon 1-8 is a close third. Mind you I didn't see all these scopes back to back in the same light bit that's what I gathered. I own several lpv scopes myself so I try to keep a close eye on the brightness as I'm on the market for a decent 1-6 or 8 if it fits the bill.

I get that and agree, but there are plenty that fit that bill. None are cheap, and most won't quite match a T1 turned to max brightness (which is overkill in most situations), but there are a number that will work just like a red dot in bright daylight.

Which models are you referring to?

I will agree to disagree with you on some of these models.
Really need to play with the Vortex.

^^^ This +1... One man's "daylight bright" is another man's "not so much"! I learned that awhile ago, ten years, give or take, when I purchased a PST 1-4 based on a trusted reviewer's assertion the illumination was "daylight bright". The muddy orange (to my eye) daylight illumination actually made target acquisition more difficult than leaving the illumination off for me.
Of the brands/models mentioned two posts above I'd only rate one or two as even approaching my definition of daylight bright; the others definitely "not so much..." IMHO. YMMV, of course ;)!

^^^ This +1... One man's "daylight bright" is another man's "not so much"! I learned that awhile ago, ten years, give or take, when I purchased a PST 1-4 based on a trusted reviewer's assertion the illumination was "daylight bright". The muddy orange (to my eye) daylight illumination actually made target acquisition more difficult than leaving the illumination off for me.
Of the brands/models mentioned two posts above I'd only rate one or two as even approaching my definition of daylight bright; the others definitely "not so much..." IMHO. YMMV, of course ;)!

I get what you're saying and generally agree that there's a big difference between daylight "bright" and daylight "visible", we'll just have to agree to disagree on some of these specific models like you said. You also may run your red dot higher than I do.

I definitely would not consider a Viper PST daylight bright, and the Gen II PST is not quite there either IMO from my experience with the 1-6x.

I understand some folks dislike the BDC reticle of the Burris 1-8. It's an excellent reticle for fast target acquisition at multiple ranges. I use mine for 3 gun and it works excellent in that application.

For folks looking for more precision rifle / DMR usage, it does have mil turrets for elevation and windage. And the BDC reticle itself does have a wind hold reticle at the zero of up to 2.5 mils on the FFP reticle. Dial elevation and hold wind.

As mentioned, it's made by LOW in Japan. It pretty much shares the same glass as another very popular scope made at the same plant, that quite frankly, I have never seen anyone here on the Hide disparage.

The Burris 1-8 is,truly an excellent scope. It's a true 1x optic, 34mm tube, FFP or SFP, capped or uncapped turrets, and by any standard, a daylight bright illumination. And The $100 rebate is good toll the end of July.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I just compared the brightness of the two LPV's I have on hand side-by-side with my MRO. The Steiner P4xi on max brightness is equivalent to position 5 on the MRO (one short of max) and the Meopta ZD on max brightness is equivalent to position 4. I'd rate both as truly "daylight bright", and though I can understand quibbling over the Meopta I think the reticle design mitigates any slight disadvantage in brightness at peak sunlight versus an RDS. The Steiner is by any reasonable definition daylight bright, and it's a sub-$500 optic.

Matching "11" on an Aimpoint is unnecessary on an LPV because 11 is overkill in virtually any situation and because of having an etched reticle, and if that's the definition of "daylight bright", there are a lot of nice RDS out there that wouldn't qualify.