• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR 10 338 RCM ...sure lets build this at home.

45-90

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2023
USA
So someone mentioned the 338 RCM, would be an interesting build for an AR 10.
So why not I have the tools, except a 338 RCM reamer, which arrived before the barrel.
Chambered a lighter barrel, adjustable gas block, magnum .535 bolt carrier, and upper reciever.

Put it all together and the 338 RCM weighs in at 7 lbs 11 oz without scope.

Took it out today to see how it would preform. First round was a moderate load with 200 gr bullet.

All the rest were loading book maximum loads, including sight in loads, with various hunting bullets bullets 160 gr copper Barns to 250 gr Speer GS.

To see how the AR 10 handles the 65,000 psi magnum pressures.

It did well, function well and was accurate, especially for hunting bullets. 5 3 shot groups averaged .506" the 5 shot groups were right at 1".
Brass was made from 6.5 PRC, 4 different manufacturers or names on the brass.
I did notice the weight difference.
The Barns already had loose primer pockets, the Lapua was 50 fps faster, Nosler required an extra annealing as it was brittle. But Norma, Lapua, and Barns all used the same forming steps...the brass does make a difference, on targets, big game is a big target, so not so much.
Most loads were getting around 3200 ft lbs of muzzle energy from the 18" barreled AR 10 with only two powders tried.
A 200gr at 2700 fps seems like a good balance, or 225 for 230 for heavier big game. The 250s at 2400 fps would be for close range smack down.
The 338 RCM is a good hunting round in the AR 10 platform, for those interested.
At least its unique.

Attachments

• 20240418_212631.jpg
    20240418_212631.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 46
I would imagine that would be a dandy hunting rifle with a Nosler 200 AB or 210 Partition and depending on the velocity possibly the 225 AB or Partition. Nice build, that beats the 338 Federal by a lot. Now that you have a mag bolt, you might as well do a 350 Remington Magnum just for fun!

Reactions: 45-90
I would imagine that would be a dandy hunting rifle with a Nosler 200 AB or 210 Partition and depending on the velocity possibly the 225 AB or Partition. Nice build, that beats the 338 Federal by a lot. Now that you have a mag bolt, you might as well do a 350 Remington Magnum just for fun!
Funny...I already have a 350 Rem Mag.
In a Rem model 7, totally modified with a muzzle brake, pillar beaded, tactical bolt knob, ...and a altered magazine to feed 2.9" cartridges. One of my favorite hunting rifles...great minds think alike...LOL.

Reactions: KYAggie