• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rainer arms ultra match ar-15 barrel damage

25g of varget with a 90 TGK at 2550 should not be a high pressure load I don't think. Hodgdon data puts an 88g berger at 2550 with 25g of varget at 38k psi. (Its their starting load) Not just that but nothing wrong with my brass after 4 firing exept some Shiney lines showing up because I was over sizing because my headspace was growing.

The "throw out your bore scope and shoot it" crowd are awfully silent on this one.

OP I empathize with your situation and hope you get your replacement sooner than later.

Reactions: RTH1800
Borescope probably would have missed it, although I wish I had one to take some pictures of it.

If I was measuring my brass each firing I would have noticed something was up on the first barrel before I shot 400+ rounds.

This has been a long saga stretching back several months. I don't think 8 weeks is particularly unreasonable for the second barrel. That's about the lead time for most barrels. But this game of telling me it's about to ship. Then not ansewering my emails when it doesn't will piss me right off in hurry.

I got ahold of someone else over there finally by sending several emails. He said it kept getting pushed back in the armory for reasons he didn't know. He says it's going out tomorrow's truck. I want to say something snarky and pessimistic but I guess I should give him the benefit of the doubt to start. 🤐🤣🤣

Reactions: bfoosh006
I had a stretch 16 5.56 barrel years ago that had a nitrided barrel extension. It did the same thing. They replaced the barrel extension and it happened again. I think it was the nitride that did it. I still have the barrel, but it has a chewed up barrel extension. It's too bad too, because that was an accurate barrel when it worked.

I had a stretch 16 5.56 barrel years ago that had a nitrided barrel extension. It did the same thing. They replaced the barrel extension and it happened again. I think it was the nitride that did it. I still have the barrel, but it has a chewed up barrel extension. It's too bad too, because that was an accurate barrel when it worked.
Weird. What year is your barrel from?
I've got two that have been fantastic, I wonder if they changed their processes at some point.

Definitely odd. I remember for a time these were impossible to find in stock anywhere, and stretch precision was becoming the darling product example of AR barrels.

Definitely odd. I remember for a time these were impossible to find in stock anywhere, and stretch precision was becoming the darling product example of AR barrels.

This was back in 2017. At the time, McGowan barrels fixed the extension under warranty, but they told me it would probably happen again. Sure enough, it did.

The barrel shot super soft and was very accurate. I would love to get the barrel working again, but I don't know where to get a new barrel extension put on.

A friend of mine has a version from around that time that was cerakoted instead of nitrided. He has had no issues.

Just went and checked both my Stretch barrels. Both nitrided, but no problems.
Weird.

This was back in 2017. At the time, McGowan barrels fixed the extension under warranty, but they told me it would probably happen again. Sure enough, it did.

The barrel shot super soft and was very accurate. I would love to get the barrel working again, but I don't know where to get a new barrel extension put on.

A friend of mine has a version from around that time that was cerakoted instead of nitrided. He has had no issues.

Isn't the extension just screwed onto the barrel? I bet a decent smith could do it

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
Isn't the extension just screwed onto the barrel? I bet a decent smith could do it
Yes, but instead of it being torqued on and then drilling the gas port at TDC like you normally would, you've now got to time the extension to line up with the gas port, and not mess up headspace while you're at it. I'm sure it can be done, not sure what it would cost though.

Yes, but instead of it being torqued on and then drilling the gas port at TDC like you normally would, you've now got to time the extension to line up with the gas port, and not mess up headspace while you're at it. I'm sure it can be done, not sure what it would cost though.

You're definitely right. I was just reading this thread below and didn't think about the timing. A dude mentioned how bad it is to nitride the extension too...

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Here is my 150 dollar nitride cmmg
6arc barrel after its first 42rds of my reloads this morning. Nothing significant. I did deburr everything or there woukd brass and copper all over the usual areas. Its soaking now.
I will see how it cleans up. 🤣🤣🤣
20240510_074026.jpg

Reactions: bfoosh006
Well I finally got it back with a big time fuck you assembly. The handgaurd screws were tight I almost broke an Allen wrench getting them loose. I needed to get to the badly misaligned gas block. They were not just tight as shit, but also thread locked on. Last time I removed them no problem after their assembly. This time even after using a torch and melting something that looks like jb weld epoxy out of the joint the screw won't budge.

I wait 8 fucking weeks on the second barrel with a bad extention. And this is what I receive. And my ammo that damaged their barrel in 14 rounds seems just fine after 42 rds in my 150 dollar cmmg barrel. Talk about sendimg a big fuck you to a customer.

Attachments

• 20240510_181306.jpg
    20240510_181306.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Wow
Reactions: Shoreglide
Well I finally got it back with a big time fuck you assembly. The handgaurd screws were tight I almost broke an Allen wrench getting them loose. I needed to get to the badly misaligned gas block. They were not just tight as shit, but also thread locked on. Last time I removed them no problem after their assembly. This time even after using a torch and melting something that looks like jb weld epoxy out of the joint the screw won't budge.

I wait 8 fucking weeks on the second barrel with a bad extention. And this is what I receive. And my ammo that damaged their barrel in 14 rounds seems just fine after 42 rds in my 150 dollar cmmg barrel. Talk about sendimg a big fuck you to a customer.
After reading about all your problems with this barrel...I am not going to even consider RA for a barrel.
The "I don't give a shit" attitude from Rainer Arms is pathetic.

This should have been resolved by Rainer Arms in a professional manner.

Reactions: ZA206
Well this is really disturbing to hear. I’ve had two a 308 20” and still have a 20” 223 on my wife’s both were very good especially my wife’s 223 that makes tiny little ragged holes. I just ordered a 16” 308 atleast I have 90 days to decide if I like it.

I can't tell for sure. I need to drill out the seized screw but looking through the other set screw hole. It looks lined up on the dimple. Probably mean the gas port is out of position also.

Another thing I noticed was some brass growing belts from the first Rainer barrel. Even after sizing to the shell plate two wouldn't chamber in my CMMG barrel that measure .446 at the base. Those two cases chamber easily in the new rainer barrel. My understanding of print was that max diameter at the base should be .444. Am i reading the print wrong? Is it likely both of the rainer chambers are over max diameter at the base?

This is how tight that front screw was. I drilled it. Broke an extraction tool. Had to grind it down until the extraction tool was ground out of hole. Then slowly drilled it until a slight tap on the gas block popped the remainder of the offending set screw out. I have never seen a set screw leave such a deep indentation on a barrel. I just can't wrap my head around how this could be an accident.

They said they will work through Optics Planet to give me money back. They offered for me to send my stuff back and they will have a diffrent smith work on it. I didn't want one of their guys to assemble it ever. They wanted all my parts so they could inspect them and assemble and test fire.

It's sad. The second guy I got obviously cares about the company and wants to keep things on track. I don't feel like anyone else I have dealt with there gives a flying fuck.

Attachments

• 20240513_183339.jpg
    20240513_183339.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The more I think about the more I can see how this could have just been some ham fisted gorilla that puts everything together way too tigh. Exept the barrel nut. It was probably around 30ftlbs. Put a T handle or L shaped Allen wrench in someone's hand and they can easily get these little fasteners wayyyy to tight.

Is the gas port misaligned?
I don't think so. You can see the indentation around the dimple where the set screw dented the barrel. It was way to tight also. But also shows they just missed the dimple. That's why I assembled my own stuff though. When I worked in the shop there were some other mechanics I wouldn't have let work on my bicycle. Lol.

I am still suspicious if the chamber is fatter than Sammi with the .446 brass chambering easily. I think I need to take someone advice from earlier and just
get out now while I have a chance.

I kind of want to shoot it and have it shoot great so the story can have a happy ending.

This is how tight that front screw was. I drilled it. Broke an extraction tool. Had to grind it down until the extraction tool was ground out of hole. Then slowly drilled it until a slight tap on the gas block popped the remainder of the offending set screw out. I have never seen a set screw leave such a deep indentation on a barrel. I just can't wrap my head around how this could be an accident.

They said they will work through Optics Planet to give me money back. They offered for me to send my stuff back and they will have a diffrent smith work on it. I didn't want one of their guys to assemble it ever. They wanted all my parts so they could inspect them and assemble and test fire.

It's sad. The second guy I got obviously cares about the company and wants to keep things on track. I don't feel like anyone else I have dealt with there gives a flying fuck.
Idiot probably used an impact driver and tightened the no dimpled screw first.
1715735143174.png

If mine smashes the lugs again I think I'll try switching the extension myself. I have a spare Craddock extension that may HS well.

Also have this Grendel Super Bolt/ext from Constructor.

FWIW my first UM barrel shot very well. Jury is still out on my replacement. Not enough time lately and I have a few new builds to break in.

1715735563454.jpeg

Im pretty sure their owner is active in 2a groups on facebook. If I were in your shoes, I'd reach out to him and share the above. I bet he would want to know.