• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AR 308 barrel twist rate

smoothy8500

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2012
South Orange County, CA
Looking at 20" .308 Criterion barrels for a 308 AR build, 1-10 or 1-11. I normally use 175's for all my loads when shooting NRA midrange and long-range (800-1K). Tech at Criterion says either will work fine. My F-T/R rifle is 1-10 and the LRB M14 is 1-11 and both do the 175's fine. Just looking for opinions on either Criterion barrel.

I tend to think a faster twist is better... and might tend to not show up on target until longer ranges.

I can't say I have ever seen a "to fast of twist rate" being an issue now a days.

No real proof... just from my own experience... and just 2 cents worth, Lol

You will enjoy that Criterion barrel.

If you're stuck between two identical barrels, flip a coin. If the barrels have any other differentiating features I'd weigh them more heavily than a 1" twist difference.

The 11 barrel is actually 1-11&1/4
My 20" 1-11 barrel loves large pills.
Go to Berger and look at the BC calc