• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors AR15 and Suppressors

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
Going down this suppressors road this spring for my AR15. Do I need to do anything with my current gas system or just plugin and have fun?

Re: AR15 and Suppressors

All, seven or eight of mine are good to just plug and play. Asuming the threads on the barrel are correct. Forget about the system till you get the suppressor, they are all slightly different on different guns

I shoot an AAC M4-2K on most of my AR's and they were all just twist on and play. Having said that I do also run the same suppressor on a SBR Noveske that has the Switchblock Noveske Switchblock that allows you to turn off the gas or turn on the suppressor mode. I find that works well with a shorty.

If you run a supressor on an M16 there is a pretty good chance that you will need the next heavier buffer than you're running now.

Some thoughts: Stay away from piston conversions. DI AR15s are WAY quieter with a can than the piston conversions. The reason is simple - the piston systems vent gas at the gas block and this venting is not muffled in any way by the suppressor - it bypasses the suppressor entirely.

Yep Stoner was a genius and piston operation is often half baked.

The stoner design pressurizes the bolt forward so it has minimal force as it unlocks. The piston guns drag the bolt across the barrel extension lugs.

The stoner design is lightweight and affordable. The piston heavy and expensive.

Love my lwrc piston gun and ops 12/15 mods..sure the piston may be a bit louder but its a matter of preference
Some of my buds love their cans on the hk416... , lot less shit in the face, less cleaning and more reliable in my humble experience, but this is with generaly low volume shooting 1-2 k/session...

You can get a new upper for runnin the can alone with a tighter gas system...
have fun with the kit no matter what ya get

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going down this suppressors road this spring for my AR15. Do I need to do anything with my current gas system or just plugin and have fun?</div></div>

Plugin and have fun. There is no point in trying to "pre-fix" problems you don't have yet.

On the other hand the gasbuster charging handle and/or the RTV mod will minimize "gas face" and make it more pleasant to shoot a suppressed AR-15.

Ha, you will look coller with some black fouling on your face when you drive home from the range.

Dont worry about fixing something that isnt broke yet...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going down this suppressors road this spring for my AR15. Do I need to do anything with my current gas system or just plugin and have fun?</div></div>

Plugin and have fun. There is no point in trying to "pre-fix" problems you don't have yet.

On the other hand the gasbuster charging handle and/or the RTV mod will minimize "gas face" and make it more pleasant to shoot a suppressed AR-15. </div></div>

What is the gas buster charging handel, and the RTV mod. I just got my YHM and I shot it for the first time today and I learned about that blowback lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CW1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but this is with generaly low volume shooting 1-2 k/session... </div></div>

Could you repeat that? I'm pretty sure 1000-2000 rounds per shooting session is ANYTHING but low volume. Did you mean 100-200? Otherwise, I'd love to have your ammo supply and stock of spare barrels!

bought low, shoot less frequently, attend classes w/ 1-2k rnd count
hooah

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CW1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love my lwrc piston gun and ops 12/15 mods..sure the piston may be a bit louder but its a matter of preference
Some of my buds love their cans on the hk416... , lot less shit in the face, less cleaning and more reliable in my humble experience, but this is with generaly low volume shooting 1-2 k/session...

You can get a new upper for runnin the can alone with a tighter gas system...
have fun with the kit no matter what ya get </div></div>

I own an LMT piston upper and haven't been out to shoot it with a suppressor yet. I'm hoping it isn't one of the gas systems that raises the SPL of the suppressed shot by 10DB's like the Sig 552.

I've heard LWRC and HK systems are pretty decent.

Go out and shoot it...see what results you get. I'm a lefty...I get a little smoke show everytime. Running my YHM Phantom 762 SS on a registered 10.5 Spikes and get a little feedback at the charging handle.

I'm a lefty shooter and I have a DI AR15 running some sort of gas buster handle. It works very well. I'm a lefty and I don't have issues with gases in the face while running suppressed.

They are clearly being directed around by the handle baffling though as I get a distinct residue and buildup after a few dozen rounds on the upper and at the upper/lower junction.

ETA: I also have an adjustable gas block on mine that's a touch under gassed without the suppressor but it still functions about 95% of the time.

It was tuned for a suppressor being on the end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CW1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bought low, shoot less frequently, attend classes w/ 1-2k rnd count
hooah </div></div>

Ahhhh okay- So it isn't truly in one "session". Might be the entire day, or a couple days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeauxJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going down this suppressors road this spring for my AR15. Do I need to do anything with my current gas system or just plugin and have fun?</div></div>

On the other hand the gasbuster charging handle and/or the RTV mod will minimize "gas face" and make it more pleasant to shoot a suppressed AR-15. </div></div>

What is the gas buster charging handel, and the RTV mod. I just got my YHM and I shot it for the first time today and I learned about that blowback lol. </div></div>

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/PRI-Gas-Buster-Charging-Handle-p/pri%20m84%20gb%2005-0032.htm

I got one and it not only helps with blowback a lot (it has grooves thatredirect the gas out to the sides), it is also larger than the stock charging handle, making working the action easier, esp with a jam or something.

Regards,
DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The piston guns drag the bolt across the barrel extension lugs.</div></div>

I used to think this was the Achilles heel of the aftermarket piston conversions, based on an interview with Reed Knight that I read a few years ago. Remember, he had Stoner working for him until Stoner's death. In the DI design, when the expansion chamber inside the bolt carrier is at pressure, the bolt is pushed forward as the carrier moves to the rear. Many piston conversions overlook this part of Stoner's design. The Adams Arms system has a spring loaded bolt head, as does the HK system, that attempt to address the issue of shear force on the bolt lugs.

However, after speaking with some armorers at 5th group, they say that sheared bolt lugs are one of the main component failures they see on the M4 carbines. And all of these guns are DI - not piston. But remember that anything other than 20" barrels with rifle buffers must be considered suspect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard LWRC and HK systems are pretty decent. </div></div>

You heard right...well, about the LWRC, anyway.