• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 in 223AI

AK10mm

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2008
Kasilof,AK
www.youtube.com
Anybody here running an AR in 223AI? I have a 20" DPMS Heavy SS barrel in a 1:8 twist.Nothing special accuracy wise,round count is about 300.Was going to bring it to Benchmark to check it out and re-crown it,then thought,WTF,have it reamed to 223AI,might be a fun little project.

Re: AR15 in 223AI

I have been debating on doing this with one of my AR-15's. My problem is I just don't know how it will feed though AR magazines and if that is going to be a problem. Your pretty much stuck with the chambering once you run that reamer in there.

Mark

I'll look and see if I can find a 223AI cart locally to check it against a mag.I had a 204 Ruger AR for a while.The shoulder is noticeably forward of a 223 and would feed in any mag I own.

My buddy had a chamber cut to fit the AI and it shot nice but would not chamber at all. Shoulder is way to sharp.

The cartridges jam up in a 30 round mag, not surprisingly. I tried this out about a year or so ago with some fireformed 223AI brass, but I don't remember how many you could get into the mag before they started giving serious problems.

I've been running a 223 AI in a match rifle, used ATC for 1500rds, now. Hasn't missed a lick on feeding from 6 out of 7 mags, I've tried.

I ran a 223 AI in a AR-15 for a while. It ran 100% with 20, 30 and 40 (Sterling) round mags. I used a rifle length stock and buffer.

I would have kept using it but trying to get all my brass back at a 3-gun match started to suck.

Ramshot TAC and Sierra 77s gave me the best results.

I use only 20rd mags while varmint hunting and calling.The 223AI chamber will work just fine with regular 223 ammo while fire forming from what I've heard.

For the guys that have used these with success,was the improvement worth it? I use mine mainly for shooting varmints.