• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AR30 300WM and Steyr SSG 04 300WM

stephensdwinn

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2011
Centerville, Utah
I've been looking around for a couple weeks now for a .300WM; the first one I really noticed that wasn't too pricey was the AR30. I asked about it on a different forum, and didn't get as much info as I would have liked. However I did get this bit of info.....

"I have had both the .338LM and the .300WM in the AR-30.

IMVHO

First, I am not knocking the DURABILITY or the SOLIDNESS if you will of the AR-30, however since I have shot other .300WM and Military .300WM at that I would say compared to a STEYR SSG-04 I would pick the STEYR SSG-04 every time.

I believe the AR-30 to be a very very well built or Battle-field ready piece of equipment but it lacks refinement.

I have actually been somewhat involved on the evolution of the AR-30 platform from utilizing it to having a few personally. I have the privilege of living less than 20 minutes away from Camp Perry and have been able to deal directly with the designer and head or project engineer from armalite on assisting them with Ideas for improvement specifically on the bolt lock up and the bolt handle and angle.

I however still do not endorse them they are improving vastly in the last year and now 3 redesigns later it is better but out of the BOX does not match the refinement of the STEYR SSG-04.

I would state though that the AR-30 is accurate but again does not match the Steyr in accuracy I am a stickler on this you will easily get 1/2 MOA out of the AR-30 but will not get much better. The Steyr will shoot 2-3" at 800yrds consistently or as consistent as you can hold...

I do not wish to confuse you the AR-30 is a very nice platform that has been improved since its launch and will outshoot many other .300WM's and will have the Durability to do work for you for a long time but if you are looking for something that has is a little more refined and pleasing to shoot I would steer you to the SSG-04 it is hard to beat for the extra few dollars..."

It's hard to find much of a review, of either of these. I've found only enough threads on them in the forums that I can count on one hand, and usually these guns are only mentioned, not the main subject.
I'm looking for some experienced opinions on these guns, or if there are better options for the same price range, the few prices I have seen for these range from 1800-2300.
To answer the usual questions as well, it will be used for both target, and some hunting. I'm not too concerned about the weight of the gun, I don't mind carrying it around for a little bit until I find a nice place to shoot from.

I'm hoping to get a bit more information from here, than from the other places I have searched.

Thanks,
Dustin

Re: AR30 300WM and Steyr SSG 04 300WM

Not trying to turn you from either, but the Steyr would be a nightmare to get repaired should you need to, unless you're going through a US dealer, and the AR30's are pretty blocky and oddly designed, making it less than desirable for any tactical type shooting, might be pretty snappy for benchrest I suppose, BUT for $2500 you can get TRG 42 in 300WM and know for a fact its a hammer and extremely reliable. The parts are expensive but you only gotta buy them once, and maybe find them used on here, just saying, you might wanna give it a look for $500 dollars more than the Steyr.

If I'm not mistaken the Sako is from Finland. Wouldn't that offer the same problems with repairs as the Steyr? Or is the Sako offered all over the U.S. and the Steyr is still just Europe?

No way bro, give the goodfellas at Euro Optic a call and they will take damn good care of you, they have the rifles and all the info a guy could ever want, not to mention they have really good prices. The rifle in the link is from the website im talking about BTW. Also be warned, the Sako parts are pretty expensive, but there are alot of companys making extra parts for them at much much lower prices, but just shop around and you will be set, and don't let that discourage you.

BTW also forgot to say, take a look at the desert digital model! Its about 500 bucks more, but the Bad-Ass O'meter is jumpin off the scales lol just saying, good luck with whatever you decide.

I wish I was able to call, but where I am at the moment doesn't have such capabilities. I just have internet about as good as a 56.6 modem on a good day. Hence me using this forum to hopefully get as much information as possible. I'll have to check for their email and try to send a message that way. I've got time to shop around considering I won't be home til summer time, but I plan on having everything at the house waiting for me by the time I get there.

I had a SSG04 in 300WM and it was an AWESOME stick, my only druthers is that the stock was too light, you would need to put it into a MCM or something beefier imho. BUT if you needed to carry it, the stock makes sense.

Super accurate, lovely build and feel only a Steyr can have.

My all time fav 300WM was my AWM which I should of never sold.
Personally the AR30 looks like a kit build, I'd rather see you in a 700 LA with an AICS or solid tube gun chassis. Factory set ups, the TRG42 is really nice too.

Get what makes you happy, I paid @ $1500 for mine a few years back fwiw.

I agree with most counts here. I have a Sako TRG in 308 with the TRG bipod and TRG unimount with NightForce ATACR; in effect got the TRG system. Very nice and love it. However, after shooting the Steyr SSG 04 in .300 WM, I am in love again. There seems to be something mystical about the Steyr, it's accuracy, fit and finish, the precision of engineering, and the Tutonic feel similar to a Porsche......in effect I am left wanting.....

I haven't had a steyr but I had the TRG and AR30 both in 338. Not a 300 but they're the same action.

The AR30 I consider the best bang for the buck to get into a 338 but it does leave a little to be desired. For me the biggest issue was the cheek piece, it was non adjustable and not high enough. I was able to rig up a Karsten to work but the new A1 model has an adjustable cheek. The mags rattled a bit and the forend wasn't the greatest but since I only ever shot it off a bipod it wasn't an issue. For a comp gun it would be a huge turnoff for shooting off barriers. The rifle was a hammer though, it shot well under MOA easily and wasn't hard to work up a load for. The break is also the most effective break I've ever used.

The TRG42 I only bought because I got a steal on it, otherwise I would have never bought one because of the accessory prices alone. For $2500 I got a lightly used green phosphate rifle with Sako bipod, brake, mount, and 4 mags. That was nearly $2500 in sako parts alone and it came with 100 rounds of ammo and 100 pieces of new Lapua brass. The rifle was a no brainer. It shot well and I liked the stock and trigger. I hated the safety in the trigger guard though. The reason I sold it was because I had a issue with the rifle and berretta was horrible to deal with. Despite living less than 45 minutes away they would not let me drop off and pick up the rifle for service, I had to pay shipping both ways which ran almost $200 total. Then they had my rifle for months for a fix that should have taken less than a week.

Shortly after I got it back there was a AWSM folder on here for a very attractive price so I bought it and listed the Sako. After selling the TRG I only spent $500 to upgrade to the AI which also included a scope mount, brake, and a few mags plus I kept all the brass from the TRG. I later sold the AWSM due to a crazy property owner deciding I could no longer shoot across a corner of his land therefor losing my 2500 yard range.

I would buy any of the three guns again under certain circumstances. I still believe the AR30 is the best 338 for the money but in a 300 you could possibly do equal better for the same or less (700P in a chassis). The TRG would again have to be a deal, at new prices their stuff (mainly accessories) are highway robbery. $250 for a mag, $500 for a scope mount, $500 for the bipod, $150 for the brake.... Those prices close the gap to an AI really fast.

I'm in the market for a 300WM myself and the Sako and Armalite aren't in the running for me. I'll keep watching regarding the steyr but as somebody else mentioned the warranty or getting it serviced here bothers me. After seeing the AXMC (what I really want) is more than I can justify spending on a rifle I will shoot a few times a year my top considerations are one of the AWM's on sale at mile high or doing a build on a stiller or defiance.