• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ARC Nucleus Gen1 vs Gen2

HellcatActual

Choochin
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
all over
This question is geared towards the guys that have either owned or currently own both. If you could choose, would you prefer a Gen1 or the current Gen2 model and why?

Thanks for your help

Gen2 because if it weren’t somehow an improvement it would exist? That and they don’t make the gen1 anymore should make a purchasing decision easy...

I have a gen1 and have never touched a gen2. It's not a smooth action. Some people have issues with certain triggers.

I pre-ordered it because it was 1000 dollars, manual ejection, and CRF. I've never had a gen1 malfunction before or after getting the replacement hardware from ARC (but I haven't had an issue with most bolt actions, so the fact that there were some gen1 issues is concerning)

If the gen2 is smoother, it's better.

thanks guys.

I was debating on a used Gen1 rig or going Gen 2 new action. there is some savings to be had but if its not worth it then it isn't worth it.

Still not sure if the Gen2 has a bayonet style firing pin take down or does it still require the washer and screw like the gen1

I went to ARC to play with the actions... while not helpful directly to your Gen1 vs Gen2, I found the Archimedes action significantly better than both. If I were to get a new ARC action it'd most likely be an Archimedes.

Looking at the price and seeing how it is $400 more, that is pretty high, maybe BF will have a deal, but I guess for myself I don't have many rifles so I rather just have 1 that I truly enjoy shooting a lot.

Nuc Gen 1 owner here. Great action, short throw and feels terrific. Never an issue in any way. I'd be equally happy buying a used Gen 1 or new Gen 2. For perspective, I slightly prefer the Nuc over my TL3.

Gen2 because if it weren’t somehow an improvement it would exist? That and they don’t make the gen1 anymore should make a purchasing decision easy...

from what little I underwthe gen2 rollout was geared more towards manufacturing streamlining between the designs of the archimedes and nucleus so I wasnt sure the real world improvements on the end user side of things .. I know they changed the bolt stop .. other than that im not sure

from what little I underwthe gen2 rollout was geared more towards manufacturing streamlining between the designs of the archimedes and nucleus so I wasnt sure the real world improvements on the end user side of things .. I know they changed the bolt stop .. other than that im not sure
I cant tell a difference in the 1 or 2. My 1 is fantastically smooth, not sure how others say any different. Any triggers issues are on the trigger mfg (I had to send my geissele back to them for an update), and I like the idea of the cross lug bolt stop - nothing will ever break there.

I cant tell a difference in the 1 or 2. My 1 is fantastically smooth, not sure how others say any different. Any triggers issues are on the trigger mfg (I had to send my geissele back to them for an update), and I like the idea of the cross lug bolt stop - nothing will ever break there.
Yeah,,,,my early Nuke is super smooth and works great with a Huber trigger.

I have a Gen 1.2 and Gen 2. They are both very smooth. I think the ones after G1 have a slightly longer bolt throw to make them easier to open. The G1's originally came with a 16lb spring and some people had issues with light primer strikes. Ted then released a 19 and 25lb spring and all new actions come with the 25. Whichever one you get do yourself a favor and at least try the 16lb...they are only $10. It reduces the bolt lift effort quite a bit and lets me get a TT Primary down to 1lb. I will say the G2 bolt latch is a lot easier to operate. They also work exceedingly well with the ARC magazines.

There are so many versions and small differences because Ted can't stop making them better. It can get confusing but I love his desire to keep making a more improved product.

As far as cycling goes I don't notice much difference between the two. The biggest thing is getting the FP spring figured out. I agree that it's worth trying the 16lb spring. If that works run it, if not, 19lb should work. The 25lber that they ship with is overkill IMO. The gen2 scope rail mount and bolt release is a better design, and the bayonet style bolt disassembly is significantly easier (swapping bolt heads or cleaning). Unless you've found a Gen1 at a great price I'd opt for the 2nd gen, personally.

2 x Gen 1s owner here, but I haven't had a chance to compare to a Gen 1.1, 2, and/or Archimedes.

By far my favorite action maker.

20200508_122702.jpg

Were the FP spring issues with specific primers, or seemingly random? What about the CRF problems some were having? Reading through the big ARC/xylo/action thread and others it's really hard to get a sense of how common the lemons were compared to how vocal a small handful of customers were. I'm near pulling the trigger on one of the Nuke/Xylo builds but don't want to fully discount the opinion of folks who have had a bad experience. Really hoping to get a platform that'll remain relevant and lend itself to updating for a good long while.

Were the FP spring issues with specific primers, or seemingly random? What about the CRF problems some were having? Reading through the big ARC/xylo/action thread and others it's really hard to get a sense of how common the lemons were compared to how vocal a small handful of customers were. I'm near pulling the trigger on one of the Nuke/Xylo builds but don't want to fully discount the opinion of folks who have had a bad experience. Really hoping to get a platform that'll remain relevant and lend itself to updating for a good long while.

Dunno which rounds had the FP issues but with the 16lb spring all my CCI primers go bang every time. I also shot a lot of Berger and Prime rounds to get the brass and -0- issues there as well. No issues with the CRF either...it works amazingly well. I am using the ARC mags and they practically throw the round into the extractor. Also able to hand feed in loose rounds without issue. If you ask they will build a rifle with whatever spring you want.